Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Are we Alone??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:17 am 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=0#0 date=08/11/04 at 09:06:16]I just bought the "compilation" Cheap Thrills, just to complete the collection even though i knew this wasnt really a "need-to-have", but was pleasantly surprised (??) by the composition We are Not Alone.. very subtle, musical and in some ways even alluring to listen to.<br>very catchy at times, melodic, but with some realy subtle catches as well... as usual, thanks Frank!<br><br>Me Question was: how is the rest of the Man From Utopia album?? I have a lot on my wish list and this one didn't appear till today. I am looking for the more musical and compositional (??haha) side of Frank right now. I was thinking about buying Make a Jazz noise or Jazz from hell, but now i am shatered again.<br><br>any advices will be handled with all due respect and surreptitiousness <br><br>Hosanna!<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Stop analyzing the shit so much and just go buy MFU. You won't be sorry!<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:21 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:28 am 
Banned

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:29 am 

Once again.... Not Funny!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:31 am 

<br>you steal from everyone huh idiot!  ::)<br><br>give up... you were OWNED a long time ago!!<br>ha ha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:20 am 

[quote author=Fuckstick<br>link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=0#9 date=08/11/04 at 12:06:40]as i said<br><br><br>uhm, thanks dudes.......... :P[/quote]<br><br>I already told ya Fuckstick....<br><br>Stop over analyzing the shit so much and just go buy MFU. You won't be sorry!<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:35 am 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=0#0 date=08/11/04 at 09:06:16]how is the rest of the Man From Utopia album?? I am looking for the more musical and compositional side of Frank right now.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Umm, yeah. It has both music and composition. Imagine that!  ::)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:48 am 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=0#12 date=08/11/04 at 12:42:28]<br><br><br>correct: meant rythmical <br><br>thank you for pointing that out to me, you are very helpfull indeed<br><br>much obliged<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ok... It has both rythmical music and rythmical composition. <br><br>Better now stupid?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:15 pm 

Hi Drumstick,<br>Man From Utopia is a great representation of these players. FZ always wrote music that highlighted the abilities of his players.<br>  THere are a couple strange pieces that you may fall in love with, like THE RADIO IS BROKEN. Very obscure.<br><br>  It surely is a cd you should buy to keep the continuity.<br>Vai does some incredible "stunt guitar"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:26 pm 

Drumstick,<br><br><br>        MAKE A JAZZ NOISE HERE. <br><br><br>                                          'nuff said.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:02 pm 

Man From Utopia got some of the most wonderful instrumental pieces on it, Moggio, Tink Walk Amok and We're not alone. But I think no matter what you buy first you end up having them all

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:22 pm 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=15#17 date=08/12/04 at 01:16:24]<br><br><br>way right of course, but at present have a small cash flow problem, that's why i was wondering.  I am eventually looking for some more instrumental stuff, so i guess i will go for this one then. Is it in line with Grand Wazoo (one of me fav's till now) <br>anyhow, will go out and buy it today!<br><br>cheers[/quote]<br><br>No not at all. It is 10 years later when this album was made. So a little heavy and absurd and great and idiot and controlled insanity!<br><br>Count the typo's>>><br><br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:46 pm 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=15#20 date=08/12/04 at 01:38:36]a little more in direction of CPIII than, okidoki will let you know how i "enjoyed" it! <br><br> 8)[/quote]<br><br>No...but...uh...listen for yourself and enjoy! :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:01 pm 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=0#0 date=08/11/04 at 09:06:16]I just bought the "compilation" Cheap Thrills, just to complete the collection even though i knew this wasnt really a "need-to-have", but was pleasantly surprised (??) by the composition We are Not Alone.. very subtle, musical and in some ways even alluring to listen to.<br>very catchy at times, melodic, but with some realy subtle catches as well... as usual, thanks Frank!<br><br>Me Question was: how is the rest of the Man From Utopia album?? I have a lot on my wish list and this one didn't appear till today. I am looking for the more musical and compositional (??haha) side of Frank right now. I was thinking about buying Make a Jazz noise or Jazz from hell, but now i am shatered again.<br><br>any advices will be handled with all due respect and surreptitiousness <br><br>Hosanna!<br><br>[/quote]<br>MFU is a good album I think, altho alot of people on here dog it. It has highlights like WANA, Luigi And The Wiseguys, Moggio, Dangerous Kitchen and Tink Walks Amok........There are a few that Im not too keen on, like Cocaine Decisions, Stick Together and the title track, but that doesnt make it a bad album. I love the production too. Get it bro, youre gonna end up getting them all anyway!! Same goes for MAJNH and JFH, just depends what order you want to get em in. Id say do it as follows. JFH, MFU, MAJNH, but what do I know? Youll like them all....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:46 am 

The original MFU album had the most amazing version of "Moggio".<br><br>The CD version is missing keyboard parts and has a different drum track which is more basic and less interesting than the one on the LP.<br><br>The same goes for the drums on the CD version of "We Are Not Alone".<br><br>By the way, the recording of "We Are Not Alone" by The Ed Palermo Big Band is fantastic. It's a shame that CD is currently out of print.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:51 am 

[quote author=QOQUAQ link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=15#23 date=08/12/04 at 09:46:32]The original MFU album had the most amazing version of "Moggio".<br><br>The CD version is missing keyboard parts and has a different drum track which is more basic and less interesting than the one on the LP.<br><br>The same goes for the drums on the CD version of "We Are Not Alone".<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah this is a tricky one. The EMI CD is also differant than the Ryko CD and the original LP. Fucking mess!!<br><br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/man_from_utopia.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:54 am 
Banned

Just buy the cheapest copy you can find.<br>It's as simple as that.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:05 am 

[quote author=Thing-Fuck link=board=albums;num=1092240376;start=15#25 date=08/12/04 at 09:54:30]Just buy the cheapest copy you can find.<br>It's as simple as that.[/quote]<br><br>What would be the point of that?? There are 3 differant mixes of the fucking thing! You are a retard!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:05 pm 

The EMI release I have has both Man from Utopia and Ship arriving too late on one single disc. That is a great collection of songs from that 1981/1982 period! It is a UK release CDP7900742. <br> <br>1. COCAINE DECISIONS [02:57] <br>2. THE DANGEROUS KITCHEN [02:51] <br>3. TINK WALKS AMOK [03:39] <br>4. THE RADIO IS BROKEN [05:52] <br>5. MOGGIO [02:35] <br>6. THE MAN FROM UTOPIA MEETS MARY LOU (MEDLEY) [03:18] <br>7. STICK TOGETHER [03:40] <br>8. SEX [03:00] <br>9. THE JAZZ DISCHARGE PARTY HATS [04:29] <br>10. WE ARE NOT ALONE [03:28] <br>11. NO NOT NOW [05:51] <br>12. VALLEY GIRL [04:50] <br>13. I COME FROM NOWHERE [06:17] <br>14. DROWNING WITCH [12:03] <br>15. ENVELOPES [02:45] <br>16. TEENAGE PROSTITUTE [02:41]