Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:51 am 

Whats up with thisd album. I love 95%of Zappa but this one is awful. What was he thinking?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:54 am 

I don't think he did have a low point! ;D<br>I love it all!<br><br>'thing fish' for me,is best treated like the tacky play it's meant to be...i always read the libretto when i'm listening to it.....it's a good laugh y'know?<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:36 am 

First, it is a social/political satire not primarily a platform for much new engaging music.  He wanted everyone's attention on the ideas and overall "odor" I believe.<br><br>Second, think about what else FZ was doing around  that time...there was quite a lot of irons in the fire in '83-'84.  He was a busy dude!  <br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:14 am 

yeh, there's few nice musical bits hiding in there too....'amnerika' is playing in the background on one track i think (? which wasn't  fully recognised till 'the yellow shark' era....i think?) there's other nice musical 'in-jokes' too...it's definately worth giving time to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:01 am 

Heh heh...ThingFish was the first Zappa album that i ever bought. Talk about a test?! I had heard Joe´s garage 1, overnite sensation, we´re only in it for the money and zoot allures before, then go to the record store and buy THING FISH...What did i know? There were no Zappa forums at that time ;D<br><br>It took a while, but i got into it. I don´t listen to it that often nowadays, but when i do, i love it! No way is this album a low point.<br><br>(Thing Fish smilies would be kinda fun?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:43 am 

I don't know if I'd call it a "low point" but it definitely could have been a better record.  First of all, it went on way too long.  A double LP set would have been easier to take. ::)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:16 pm 

I love Thing-Fish and the other albums Zappa released in '84. It was an amazing year in my opinion: Perfect Stranger, Them Or Us, Thing-Fish and Francesco Zappa, four completely different kind of albums (at least three masterpieces among them...) in just one year - absolutely great!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:03 pm 

Did anyone see the clip of FZ on Letterman promoting Thing Fish in 84?  The crowds reaction when he explains the concept and the Mammy mask.  Priceless!  ;D<br><br>I agree that this is a tough album to swallow.  Whats with Crab Grass Baby?  It gets kind of annoying, but I think it's damn hilarious.  Play that song for someone whos never heard Zappa before.<br><br>P.S. Do not attempt to eat the Thing Fish album!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:55 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=albums;num=1045054283;start=0#12 date=02/12/03 at 20:31:57]Why not? It's yummy. Where's my nakin?  ??? ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>MMMmmm... Thing Fish and Chips.<br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:34 am 

I was quite disappointed when I heard it foiss, but then it turned out to be important to me in consideration of CC.<br>I also dunno what he was thinking, but was he REALLY expecting this to go on Broadway? Or was it just a satire for his special insider - audience. <br>On the Carson Show he seemed totally serious, talking like it was smething like Andrew Lloy Webber (Brrrrr.)<br>This alone puts a lot of irony to it.<br><br>I would have liked more "new" songs on TF. You have to "hide" this album from your friends - otherwise they think yoù have totaly grown nuts! ;D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:09 pm 

I bought Thing Fish last week and have been listening to it on my (Digital) stereo. It sounds really good I mean REALLY GOOD!! Not only is it comical to listen too, but also the background music is genius! Frank did a great job on making the CD sound natural. It doesnt sound unbalanced or over done. Everything is in the pocket. Sounds good loud also... ;)<br><br>Hey whats your guys recommendation on what to get first? Lather or Joes Garage?<br><br>Thanks<br>Coop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:52 am 

mmm...that's a hard one coop,err both! ;D<br><br>There's some great stuff on both, joe's garage has vinnie's insane drumming on 'toad-o line/on the bus' and there's a great fz solo there too, i love it but i'd get 'lather' first cos it's full of all different kinds of fz...and there's nothing better than putting the three cd's onto your multi-player and sitting back to be zapped!! pure bliss!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:16 am 

I AGREE WITH SLEEP AND FOR THE SAME REASON. JUST GET THEM BOTH NOW!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:22 am 

Thanks sleep_dirt and radley!! <br><br>I was at the local Best Buy yesterday and noticed they had them both for under $25. Ill check around and see who else has the best price up here in Seattle, WA area. My wife is going to hear some crazy music tonight... <br><br>Hey speaking of vinnie Colaiuta where can I find info about all the different musicians that played on each album?<br><br>[shadow=red,left,300]Thanks[/shadow]<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:44 am 

try this link<br>http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/chronology/1976-1980.html<br>i got it from another post (thanks 'b.b.') i'm sure they wont mind me passing it on! :-/ ;D<br>if you scroll through the chronology it gives you who was on what and some other cool stuff too!<br>hope it helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:30 am 

I love Thing Fish! I think its important to get this album after already being quite familiar with some of Fzs other albums first though, if you heard this one first, you just wouldnt get it! It became more fun after Id got the entire catalogue, although Ive always enjoyed it. I think it was about the 20th or so Zappa album I got, so it was a shock, but I was already acclimatized as it were.......