Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:57 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Canadian link=board=albums;num=1050886471;start=0#3 date=04/20/03 at 20:32:52]i fucking hate this zappa record, total garbage...[/quote]<br><br><br>While I don't "fucking hate" it.... for me, Rubin ranks just this side of Francesco Zappa for albums I rarely (if ever) listen to.<br><br><br>Gotta agree with Chunga, though.... the original vinyl is the way to go on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:54 pm 

Yeah, Stuff Up The Cracks rocks, and other highlights for me include- Cheap Thrills, No No No, Love of my Life, Anyway The Wind Blows....<br><br>I've never heard the CD or the original vinyl, I have the LP from The Old Masters Box 1.<br><br>THE OLD MASTERS BOX ONE<br><br><br><br><br>Original Vinyl:<br><br>From Record Collector magazine #93, May 1987 (quoted by Mikael Agardsson):<br><br>The US pressing came with a deluxe gatefold cover featuring some excellent Cal Schenkel artwork, most of which is missing from the original UK version. A very limited number of early US pressings also included a folder insert containing instructions on "How to dance the bop" and "How to comb and set a jellyroll".<br><br>After treating us to the full sleeves for Money and Lumpy Gravy, EMI decided against making it three in a row and issued the original UK version of Ruben in a non-fold sleeve.<br><br><br>Original CD:<br><br>When this album was re-released on CD, it was heavily remixed and new bass and drums had been overdubbed on most songs without any acknowledgment of this in the CD booklet, which still credited the original musicians. The new drums were played by Chad Wackerman; the new electric bass by Arthur Barrow and upright acoustic bass by an unknown musician, possibly Jay Anderson. The differences are huge; it's like a completely different album. <br><br>The remix is extremely controversial to many fans, and it is safe to say that an overwhelming majority hate it. Zappa said he thought it sounded better than the original. Zappa's sound engineer, Bob Stone, called the remix "classic stooge rock". While some people could in theory like the remix, every hard-core fan should definitely seek out the original vinyl, or a copy of it.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:41 pm 

Don't know what got into FZ with these remixs and the adding of new rhythm sections. For me the only Ruben is the orignal vinyl version

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:17 am 

I guess for the completist, both versions are good. I had started rebuilding my collection on album and as I track down each LP, I fondly remember and enjoy how they USED to sound. I am also buying the Japan Mini LPs and have been dissapointed with the remixed and added-to versions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:21 pm 

[quote author=detergent link=board=albums;num=1050886471;start=0#7 date=04/21/03 at 00:41:26]Don't know what got into FZ with these remixs and the adding of new rhythm sections. For me the only Ruben is the orignal vinyl version [/quote]<br><br><br>I don't really like the "new" rhythm sections either, on any of the records, as a matter of fact.<br><br>I like Wackerman. He played some great inspiring music on SATLTSADW and those records. I don't want to come off as the Mothers stuff shouldn't be messed with cause its sacrelige, but it bothers me to see (and hear) Wackerman or his drum sounds on records he clearly did not participate in, as well as others that weren't in a particular band.<br><br>I've never heard the orginal Ruben, but it bugged me to see Sleep Dirt had a credit from a latter musician. Other than that, the tunes are very cool on Crusien. Another Zappa paradox; that he could write music so far out and inventive and still come up with "period music" from the 50's. I bet Frank enjoyed getting a rise out of his fanbase when this came out, expecting some kind of backlash.<br><br>Back on the subject of re-mixing. I also prefer the vinyl version of We're Only In It For the Money to the last issue. And I like the currect issue way better than the 2'fer of Lumpy Gravey/WOIIFTM that was released in the 80's on Ryko.<br><br>I thought about starting a thread about remixes and musicians overdubbing on older classic, and if this seems to bug anyone. I guess Zappa would have said, "its my music, so f**k off"; but I still go for the original sound in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:28 am 

Yep, I couldn't agree more. It seems to be very FRANK to mess with the originals and try to "better" them but I like each album for what it was when new

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:12 am 

I love CWRATJ.....Its a great album, and it surprises me that some of you arent into it! Ok, forget the whole bass and drums debate for now, the songs are great. I have the Zappa Records version, would you guys recommend the Ryko remix? Is it noticeably better?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:54 am 

I was just wondering if anyone has a CDR of the original vinyl of " Ruben and the Jets " for sale.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:00 am 

I've listened to both the vinyl and the cd version about the same. There are of course some elements in each one that make them unique. Overall, of course the lp version if better, the cd version is obviously overdubbed, but some of the cd overdubbs make the songs sound better. But that's just my opinion. Anyone have any idea how to get the lp to cd? It drives me nuts wanting to listen to the origninal lp versions while on my way to work but cannot. It would also be a damn shame if something happened to them and I was left without something from it. While we're on he subject of lps and cd's. HOT RATS is so much better on lp it's ridiculous. Also is Sleep Dirt. I love Sleep Dirt, just not the vocals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:48 pm 

Aux out on record player to line in on computer. (Usually 2 RCA's to headphone jack.) Use Winamp or Sound Recorder, record the whole thing. Burn. I did this with some casettes of mine. You do lose a little of the sound quality.