Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Albums by other people
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:10 am 

Ok, since there is an topic called "quotes by other people" I thought that there could be an topic about this.<br><br>Here you can recommend albums by persons other than FZ. I mean, it could be in ANY sort of genre and by any sort of musician.<br><br>Also, discuss some about the album if you want to, say what makes it so..... eh...... Recommendable! ;D<br><br>So, got any? I need to think first.......<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:21 am 

Image<br>The definitive 1966 recordings, complete, available for the first time as they were recorded. Plus 35 minutes of extra music from the same sessions. No history of contemporary music is written without reference to AMM, and in particular to these recordings. Cornelius Cardew: Piano, Cello, Transistor Radio; Lou Gare: Tenor Saxophone, Violin; Eddie Prevost: Percussion; Keith Rowe- Electric Guitar, Transistor Radio; Lawrence Sheaff- Cello, Accordion, Clarinet, Transistor Radio.<br>Track listing<br><br>1. Later During a Flaming Riviera Sunset<br>2. Ailantus Glandulosa<br>3. In the Realm of Nothing whatever<br>4. After Rapidly Circling The plaza<br>5. What is There in Uselesness to Cause You Distress?<br><br> <br><br>Line up<br><br>Keith Rowe : guitars / radios<br>Eddie Prevost : percussion<br>Cornelius Cardew : piano / cello / radio<br>Lou Gare : saxophone<br>Lawrence Sheaff : cello / accordian / clarinet / radio<br><br> <br><br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:21 am 

Image<br>Helmet - "Betty"<br><br>This is definitely one of my favorite CDs in my collection. Click on the pic for reviews and little music samples. If you have the ways and means, you can even buy a copy of it.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:48 pm 

i posted i a pic in another thread and don't wanna post it again.  2 by Don Caballero is fantastic.  also, Mellow Gold by Beck.  let's see... Doolittle and Surfer Rosa by the Pixies.  anything by The Clash.  Ágætis Byrjun by Sigur Rós.  Building Something Out of Nothing by Modest Mouse.  Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus.  most anything by Gorillaz.  i'm sure there's more, so i'll probably post more.

"a student is not a tangerine"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:54 pm 

Snap! or Compact Snap! by the Jam....a vote for London Calling. I found out that I was behind the times, got the new Entertainment Weekly today, and I have not heard one song off of the top 10 albums of the year.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:21 pm 

[quote author=calvin2hikers link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=0#4 date=12/23/03 at 18:54:11] got the new Entertainment Weekly today, and I have not heard one song off of the top 10 albums of the year.<br><br>[/quote] Unfortunately I have  ;D<br>

"I don't have a problem with gay marriage, let them suffer like the rest of us" - Chris Rock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:12 am 

Another of my favorites, and IMHO the best rap album ever:<br><br><br>Image<br><br>Beastie Boys - "Paul's Boutique"<br><br>As before, you can click on the pic for more info.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:50 am 

speaking of roy harper on the other thread reminded me of this classic album Image

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:35 am 

[quote author=Billy link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=0#7 date=12/24/03 at 11:12:47]Another of my favorites, and IMHO the best rap album ever:<br><br><br>Image<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That album is great, but it's really only the best rap album ever is the actual rapping on the album doesn't mean that much to you.<br><br>As for my best hip hop record pick...<br><br>Image<br><br> ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:21 pm 

Image<br><br>Image<br><br>I doubt that many forumites would be into these music styles, but these are two of my fav, and most played, albums of the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:18 pm 

Image<br>Fela Kuti - Confusion/Gentleman<br><br>One of the many albums of the Nigerian legend and national hero, Fela Kuti. His style, coined as "afro-beat," combines jazz elements with African folk music. It's top-notch stuff for jazz and world afficianados alike.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:29 pm 

Image<br><br> Zzager & Evans ,.a futuristic piece on what we don't know,..and probly never will.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:33 pm 

Image<br><br>Stephen Stills - "Stephen Stills"<br><br>I know most of you don't care for CSN(Y), but I think this is one of the most underrated albums in my collection. I mean, it has Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Booker T. Jones (from Booker T. and the MG's) all making guest appearances. (I even think Ringo Starr played drums on a track, but was credited under a different name.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:33 am 

Image<br><br>DISCO VOLANTE<br><br>I downloaded this album yesterday and I have listened to it just one time. God, this is the weirdest thing I've heard in my whole life. Download it and see for yourself (but don't buy it without hearing it first). It's a love it or hate it album, kinda like Trout Mask Replica.<br><br><br>Image<br><br>BITCHES BREW<br><br>One of my favourite albums at the time. Jazz-fusion at its best. Don't overlook this one.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:30 am 

i also love this Image

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:39 am 

Nice to see that this thread have started to move some.<br><br>Alright, time for my album.<br><br>[center]<br>Image<br>610Toresco - Greatest hits<br>[/center]<br><br>Despite the album title it is actually not an compilation. But the name is still something that tells what this album have under its arms. Going from certain experimental "under-one-minute" tracks to a bit more song oriented, yet experimental, tracks. It do contain their best effort along with their debut Gman but the only difference is that this is them in a nutshell. Also, if you have seen them live you will understand this album even more.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:27 am 

MR. BUNGLE - "California"<br>Unbelievable!!!<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:59 am 

Image<br>Image<br>Image

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:13 am 

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:20 am 

Image<br><br>The Clash - "London Calling"<br><br>Need I say more?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:23 am 

man, there is a larger Clash fan base here then i thought there would be.  a fantastic band.  one of my two favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:24 am 

[quote author=Regyptian_Strut link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=15#22 date=12/26/03 at 09:23:00]man, there is a larger Clash fan base here then i thought there would be.[/quote]<br><br>It could be that,  or it could just be that I keep changing my name and avatar. ;D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:34 am 

why, i oughta'...