Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:19 pm 

CKY CKY CKY CKY CKY CKY CKY!!!!!!!, does anyone here like cky? theyre really good..... in my opinion theyre the only good 'current' rock band.  they have 3 albums out, all of them great. volume 1, volume 2, and infiltrate destroy rebuild. volume 2 is not as high quality in sound as the others and most of the songs on it are just funny. you should all buy some cky cds. volume 2, however, cannot be found in stores. anywho, check their website www.ckymusic.com<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:24 pm 

MSI (Mindless Self indulgence). <br>Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy<br><br>Image<br>For some reason this pic is not going up????????<br><br>Otherwise, Im trying to get a copy of Symbion Project<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:30 pm 

[quote author=smellmyglove link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=45#50 date=01/04/04 at 14:19:22]CKY CKY CKY CKY CKY CKY CKY!!!!!!!, does anyone here like cky? theyre really good..... in my opinion theyre the only good 'current' rock band.  they have 3 albums out, all of them great. volume 1, volume 2, and infiltrate destroy rebuild. volume 2 is not as high quality in sound as the others and most of the songs on it are just funny. you should all buy some cky cds. volume 2, however, cannot be found in stores. anywho, check their website www.ckymusic.com<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I like CKY. Calm down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm 

you should also love the U.f.O obsessed Eat Static....there very own brand of outer space techno is excellent ImageImageImage these 3 are  excellent ...the first one is called Epsylon

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:11 pm 

Thanks Central, I'll check 'em out. Im always looking for new music.  ;D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:43 am 

here's a gem from Detroit techno legend jeff mills, originally of the groundbreaking Underground Resistance.  Pure technoImage

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:15 am 

[quote author=zardoz link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=45#56 date=01/05/04 at 11:06:55]<br>        Emerson, Lake, and Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery"<br><br>        Still a classic album[/quote]<br>I just listened to it last week. I still love this one, too.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:28 am 

Man and I thought I listened to underground music!  :o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:56 am 

Cool that there is so many that likes electronica here except me. ;D<br><br>Now I need to find those albums too.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:55 am 

[quote author=dr_grogg link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=45#59 date=01/06/04 at 02:56:11]Cool that there is so many that likes electronica here except me. ;D<br><br>Now I need to find those albums too.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>[/quote]<br>you can get some mp3s here http://www.somarecords.com this is SLAM's record label they have  some good stuff and some not so good stuff but you can find out for yourself.  The guy who runs soma dave clark is a bit of an arse some of my friends DJ at his clubs in glasgow but he does produce some cutting edge techno so you can't fault him there....if you see some silicone soul stuff there download that if you can they're also pretty good , more house than techno though.  Some other techno artists you could look into are carl craig of detroit and green velvet of chicago...both excellent. I seen carl craig last year at Alaska in Glasgow he was immense...what a night :o i almost forgot...check out Richie Hawtin also he plays hard, sometimes loopy techno great stuff when you're in the mood

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:42 am 

I know about Richie Hawtins, and thanks for the link too.<br><br>Well, Aphex twin is the one in the leading edge ;)<br><br>Although, he is about to retire since I readed in an interview where he said that he was going to put out an final [ep] and one last album.<br><br>The Smojphace [EP]<br><br>and <br><br>26 mixes for cash<br><br>Too bad that he is retiring but well, such is life.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:16 pm 

I've always loved Radiohead's "Kid A" and "Amnesiac".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:25 am 

[quote author=Bonzo link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=60#62 date=01/06/04 at 16:16:41]I've always loved Radiohead's "Kid A" and "Amnesiac". [/quote]<br><br>I've heard that Radiohead was inspired by Aphex twin.<br><br>Although, Aphex twin said in an interview that the albums he heard from Radiohead was really shitty.  ;)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:19 pm 

My list of stuff I've been listening to a lot lately (fully illustrated since this board is so picture-happy):<br><br>Image<br>Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand<br>Lo-fi, indie pop perfection.  Are there any other Guided By Voices fans on this board?<br><br>Image<br>Frank Black - Teenager Of The Year<br>I've owned it for almost a year, but its brilliance is just now starting to click with me.<br><br>Image<br>Ween - Quebec<br>Ween is probably the coolest, most consistently interesting rock band out there today, mang.<br><br>Image<br>Mr. Bungle - California<br>...And Mike Patton is probably the craziest guy making albums right now.  This album is INCREDIBLE.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:54 pm 

dr grogg, i remember a while back you said on this forum that techno was "invented" by two english guys in a basement (i can't remember the thread) i meant to challenge you about it at the time but something else came up and it slipped my mind till tonight.  Knowing you wouldn't take my word that this  info was wrong, i went here to get the evidence http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80401041932350343&sql=C793 real techno came out of Detroit, the sort of techno bands like Aphex Twin produce is considered by serious techno producers to be mainstream and simply an offshoot of the original pure, underground form that was and still is Detroit techno.  Here's a little taster of the article...Techno had its roots in the electronic house music made in Detroit in the mid-'80s. Where house still had explicit connection to disco even when it was entirely mechanical, techno was strictly electronic music, designed for a small, specific audience. The first techno producers and DJs — Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, and Derrick May, among others — emphasized the electronic, synthesized beats of electro-funk artists like Afrika Bambaataa and synth-rock units like Kraftwerk. In the United States, techno was strictly an underground phenomenon, but in England, it broke into the mainstream in the late '80s. I agree that Aphex Twin are good at producing mainstream, ambient techno, but to true techno connoisseurs(fans and artists alike) they are not taken as a serious force within the genre. Them and bands like the prodigy, the orb and even orbital who i think are pretty good are all mainstream/pop techno outfits...they have never been at the sharp end of the genre and are for the most part poorer reflections of the true techno masters they are trying to emulate. I think as you listen to the genre more you will realise this yourself.

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:19 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=60#65 date=01/08/04 at 19:54:17]dr grogg, i remember a while back you said on this forum that techno was "invented" by two english guys in a basement (i can't remember the thread) i meant to challenge you about it at the time but something else came up and it slipped my mind till tonight.  Knowing you wouldn't take my word that this  info was wrong, i went here to get the evidence http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80401041932350343&sql=C793 real techno came out of Detroit, the sort of techno bands like Aphex Twin produce is considered by serious techno producers to be mainstream and simply an offshoot of the original pure, underground form that was and still is Detroit techno.  Here's a little taster of the article...Techno had its roots in the electronic house music made in Detroit in the mid-'80s. Where house still had explicit connection to disco even when it was entirely mechanical, techno was strictly electronic music, designed for a small, specific audience. The first techno producers and DJs — Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, and Derrick May, among others — emphasized the electronic, synthesized beats of electro-funk artists like Afrika Bambaataa and synth-rock units like Kraftwerk. In the United States, techno was strictly an underground phenomenon, but in England, it broke into the mainstream in the late '80s. I agree that Aphex Twin are good at producing mainstream, ambient techno, but to true techno connoisseurs(fans and artists alike) they are not taken as a serious force within the genre. Them and bands like the prodigy, the orb and even orbital who i think are pretty good are all mainstream/pop techno outfits...they have never been at the sharp end of the genre and are for the most part poorer reflections of the true techno masters they are trying to emulate. I think as you listen to the genre more you will realise this yourself. [/quote]<br><br>Good point there, well, Aphex twin isn't really "mainstream techno" or what you call it. If you check his profile you will see what he was doing. Also, his msot known and popular [ep] Come to daddy was near to reach the top ten, so Aphex twin took away from the charts. <br><br>Besides, many old techno fans like the new sort of techno and the way it is developing(I think you've said it too once, right struty?). <br><br>Even so, artists such as Chemical brothers and Prodigy where the one to step back to the, well, more hardcore and "original" form of techno. But some hated it because it reused old beats and such. <br><br>Wasn't rock underground in the beginning too? Aswell as the jazz?<br><br>Anyway, there is those that make, more or less, accesible techno for other people than the underground techno-lovers. But there is MANY persons that's not known since they haven't been able to do it since there have been others surfing the leading edge of the techno wave. <br><br>Those techno experimentalists are breaking new grounds into techno, is it wrong or bad? Not that I think that you think so, scruty. But with new forms of techno and other, let us say "fusions", of genres it could create the most interesting sound.<br><br>Just listen to "Ventolin" by Aphex twin. Annoying as hell but aswell brilliant.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br> <br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:33 am 

[quote author=dr_grogg link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=60#63 date=01/07/04 at 04:25:57]<br><br>I've heard that Radiohead was inspired by Aphex twin.<br><br>Although, Aphex twin said in an interview that the albums he heard from Radiohead was really shitty.  ;)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Aphex Twin said Radiohead were shitty? Ass!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:11 am 

[quote author=Bonzo link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=60#67 date=01/09/04 at 04:33:56]<br><br><br>Aphex Twin said Radiohead were shitty? Ass! [/quote]<br><br>What he say hould be taken with an pinch of salt ofcourse.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:29 am 

[quote author=dr_grogg link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=60#66 date=01/09/04 at 04:19:53]<br><br>Good point there, well, Aphex twin isn't really "mainstream techno" or what you call it. If you check his profile you will see what he was doing. Also, his msot known and popular [ep] Come to daddy was near to reach the top ten, so Aphex twin took away from the charts. <br><br>Besides, many old techno fans like the new sort of techno and the way it is developing(I think you've said it too once, right struty?). <br><br>Even so, artists such as Chemical brothers and Prodigy where the one to step back to the, well, more hardcore and "original" form of techno. But some hated it because it reused old beats and such. <br><br>Wasn't rock underground in the beginning too? Aswell as the jazz?<br><br>Anyway, there is those that make, more or less, accesible techno for other people than the underground techno-lovers. But there is MANY persons that's not known since they haven't been able to do it since there have been others surfing the leading edge of the techno wave. <br><br>Those techno experimentalists are breaking new grounds into techno, is it wrong or bad? Not that I think that you think so, scruty. But with new forms of techno and other, let us say "fusions", of genres it could create the most interesting sound.<br><br>Just listen to "Ventolin" by Aphex twin. Annoying as hell but aswell brilliant.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br> <br> [/quote]<br>hi dr.grogg, yes i agree with you that new forms of techno and that the fusion of genres can only be good for the music....i wasn't having a go at you about bands like aphex twin and so on (they're certainly not the worst in the genre) i was just suggesting that as you listen to it more i think you will drift from this to the harder adge stuff...the reason i think this is that's what i done along with some but not all my friends who also liked the genre.  Of course rock was underground in the beginning as all genres are i suppose except for modern pop.  It's obvious that you have a keen ear for good music and like all genuine music lovers i felt that you'd want to explore more as you listenend to the genre...for me this has always involved working back the way to try and get an original a sound as possible.  It is only natural that these genres will develop over time and i know sounds will always make their way into a more mainstream form.  I was never really a fan of the prodigy or the chemical brothers as i felt they were just too poppy with their number 1s and so on and their almost childlike techno at times   there music really is structured in such a way that it will appeal to a mass audience.  Bands like *SPAM*, Orbital, leftfield and Aphex Twin fall into a different category from them i feel as their music does have a lot more thought put into it and they do offer intelligent, well structured techno sounds....i've seen orbital many times and loved it...glastonbury was there best i feel.  S don't think iwas trying to run down their music i was just rying to point you in a different direction a little so you can experience a fuller catalogue of the genre as a whole .

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:10 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=albums;num=1072181412;start=60#69 date=01/09/04 at 09:29:42]<br>hi dr.grogg, yes i agree with you that new forms of techno and that the fusion of genres can only be good for the music....i wasn't having a go at you about bands like aphex twin and so on (they're certainly not the worst in the genre) i was just suggesting that as you listen to it more i think you will drift from this to the harder adge stuff...the reason i think this is that's what i done along with some but not all my friends who also liked the genre.  Of course rock was underground in the beginning as all genres are i suppose except for modern pop.  It's obvious that you have a keen ear for good music and like all genuine music lovers i felt that you'd want to explore more as you listenend to the genre...for me this has always involved working back the way to try and get an original a sound as possible.  It is only natural that these genres will develop over time and i know sounds will always make their way into a more mainstream form.  I was never really a fan of the prodigy or the chemical brothers as i felt they were just too poppy with their number 1s and so on and their almost childlike techno at times   there music really is structured in such a way that it will appeal to a mass audience.  Bands like *SPAM*, Orbital, leftfield and Aphex Twin fall into a different category from them i feel as their music does have a lot more thought put into it and they do offer intelligent, well structured techno sounds....i've seen orbital many times and loved it...glastonbury was there best i feel.  S don't think iwas trying to run down their music i was just rying to point you in a different direction a little so you can experience a fuller catalogue of the genre as a whole .[/quote]<br><br>Aha, well, yes it is important to know the roots of all that you listen to m´but I have just gotten into it all, you see. I am in allmusic.com all the time, well, researching about the genres and looking up artists that I will try to find something with and I know that techno was more, well, "stripped down" before sampling and such came.<br><br>I am trying my best to find alot of stuff with electronica music, not only the old good ones and the new good ones. It surely is needed to maybe listen to every little inch of the genre. <br><br>Heh, to say, you haven't tasted the whole cookie before you've eaten it all, or something.<br><br>By the way, I have a compilation disc(but very minimal from the original one) with some acid and minimal techno. I like pretty much.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:22 am 

[center]Image[/center]<br>[center]Moby-18[/center]<br><br>[center]This one I recommend, no really, I have listened to some of it the latest time and it was really enjoyable. Not really a new Play but it shows that Moby still can and it is not an lousy album other artist would release after a breakthrough just to earn money.[/center]<br><br>(c'mon, don't let this thread die!)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:29 am 

I'm gonna recommend Jethro Tull's Aqualung 'cause I was listening to it earlier.  Great mix of hard rock and english folk.  Anderson sounded (and wrote) particularly inspired.  <br><br>Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:05 pm 

Let's, uh, resurface this thread with an new recommendation:<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>Trust me, this one is worthwhile your time. ;)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:53 pm 

[glow=red,2,300]HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ![/glow]<br><br>BRYAN BELLER - VIEW<br><br>Image<br><br>http://www.bryanbeller.com/<br><br><br>Tracklisting:<br><br>1. Bear Divide<br>2. Seven Percent Grade<br>3. Supermarket People<br>4. Elate<br>5. Get Things Done<br>6. Backwoods<br>7. Bite<br>8. Eighteen Weeks<br>9. Projectile<br>10. Wildflower<br>11. No<br>12. See You Next Tuesday<br>13. View <br><br>Personnel:<br><br>Bryan Beller - bass, keyboards, piano, lead vocals<br>Mike Keneally - guitar, Hammond organ, piano, background vocals<br>Rick Musallam - guitar, background vocals<br>Griff Peters - guitar<br>Yogi - guitar<br>Jeff Babko - Hammond organ, piano<br>Joe Travers - drums<br>Toss Panos - drums<br>Colin Keenan - lead vocals<br>Nick D'Virgilio - background vocals<br>Wes Wehmiller - rhythm bass guitar, background vocals<br>Tricia Steel - vibraphone<br>Fausto Cuevas - percussion<br>Sean Bradley - violin<br>Dmitri Kourka - viola<br>Dave Takahashi - cello

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next