Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Andy-time signature
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:52 am 

Anyone know what the count is for the marching intro?<br><br>The fast snare goes by too quickly for me to count it?<br><br>I hardly play anymore(bass) but I just like to know what is going on in the songs.<br><br>Thanks in advance<br>Andrew

Post subject: Re: Andy-time signature
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:14 am 

4/4 is the time signature.  <br><br>How can one write the rhythms with a typewriter?  1-e(2)(3)(4)&???<br><br>Try here:<br>http://www.zappa-analysis.com/index.html<br><br>VCF<br><br><br><br>

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:17 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1095281556;start=0#2 date=09/15/04 at 16:21:39]If you just listen to the snare drum on that intro, you might think it was written in something weird like 129/64. But just listen to the guitar, and you'll see that it is indeed 4/4[/quote]<br><br>Unless it's a polyrhythm...in which case the guitar is in 4 in the same space as the drums being in ?<br><br>I don't know offhand. I only have that one on vinyl and don't have the time to check it out at the moment. The drums could be in 4. Or not.<br><br>Hey, I just found out this year there is something going on out there that is refered to as "math rock." Anybody wanna give a clue?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:01 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1095281556;start=0#4 date=09/15/04 at 17:58:33]<br>Ummm....<br>Image<br>[/quote]<br>Good guess! I'll be more specific...<br><br>apparently there is some kind of a thing happening involving bands writing and playing stuff in complicated time signatures for the sake of writing and playing things in complicated time signatures. A guy on a skateboard at the college was talking about it, but I haven't seen him since. He refered to it as "math rock," as if it was a commonly known thing. He rattled off a number of band names that of course I've never heard of; that's kind of the requirement for skateboard guys to do during the moments they are standing still. It sounded like there is some kind of movement going on out there somewhere. I'd be interested in finding out if something interesting is incubating out there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:11 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=albums;num=1095281556;start=0#5 date=09/15/04 at 19:01:22]<br>Good guess! I'll be more specific...<br><br>apparently there is some kind of a thing happening involving bands writing and playing stuff in complicated time signatures for the sake of writing and playing things in complicated time signatures. A guy on a skateboard at the college was talking about it, but I haven't seen him since. He refered to it as "math rock," as if it was a commonly known thing. He rattled off a number of band names that of course I've never heard of; that's kind of the requirement for skateboard guys to do during the moments they are standing still. It sounded like there is some kind of movement going on out there somewhere. I'd be interested in finding out if something interesting is incubating out there.[/quote]<br><br>there is some really good math rock out there, and some unlistenable. great bands to check out are don cabellero and dianogah.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:44 pm 

Math-Rock?<br><br>Oh, that's just silly.<br><br>Or is it...?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:53 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=albums;num=1095281556;start=0#5 date=09/15/04 at 19:01:22]...apparently there is some kind of a thing happening involving bands writing and playing stuff in complicated time signatures for the sake of writing and playing things in complicated time signatures. A guy on a skateboard at the college was talking about it, but I haven't seen him since. He refered to it as "math rock," as if it was a commonly known thing. He rattled off a number of band names that of course I've never heard of; that's kind of the requirement for skateboard guys to do during the moments they are standing still. It sounded like there is some kind of movement going on out there somewhere. I'd be interested in finding out if something interesting is incubating out there.[/quote]<br>My music foundation teacher was talking about the same thing when he talked to me about Zappa. He is a drummer and a major Vinnie/Terry and even Wackerman fan. The only names I remember him saying were Dream Theatre and ummm...dunno?  :-/ He was saying that they just do it for the hell of it and it dosent have shit on what Zappa could do with polyrhythms and time signatures. I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:03 pm 

Mental, one of the things I love about FZ's music is how sometimes he will be playing something so fucking technical and in such a weird time signature, you just get the creeps. In a good way, of course. <br><br>[left]The Mentality:[/left] [right]:ytilatneM ehT[/right]<br><br>[left]The Mentality:[/left] [right]:ytilatneM ehT[/right]<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:56 am 

Awesome!  Thanx Ronnie.<br><br>VCF<br><br>Edit: Ya know, one good musical turn deserves another.  Next time you're jamming to Black Napkins, try my recomendation in this thread:<br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=albums;action=display;num=1033660272<br><br>It's a way of life.<br><br>

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF