Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:05 pm 

wow only one person said the Black Page.<br><br>That's probably my favorite right now, The Black Page #2 (the easy teenage New York version :)).<br><br><br>-Ben<br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:27 pm 

<br>[quote author=Mumbo_Pocus link=board=albums&num=1033089380&start=15#26 date=10/13/02 at 18:05:19]<br>wow only one person said the Black Page.<br><br>That's probably my favorite right now, The Black Page #2 (the easy teenage New York version :)).<br><br><br>-Ben<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey Ben -<br><br>Check out the 1998 CD "The Dangerous Kitchen".<br><br>It has the most amazing performance of "The Black Page #2"<br>that I've ever heard.<br><br>The arrangement even improves the fast lick at 3.00 by having the chord change come in on the last few notes, which I believe is a different approach from all the other recordings I know.<br><br>I wish Zappa could hear that part.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:33 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation QOQUAQ. I checked Amazon, and I don't believe they have any in stock. Damn it.<br><br>I saw your review there. Wow, what a fool the engineer must have been!<br><br>-Ben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:08 am 

<br>[quote author=Mumbo_Pocus link=board=albums&num=1033089380&start=15#28 date=10/14/02 at 00:33:46]<br>Thanks for the recommendation QOQUAQ. I checked Amazon, and I don't believe they have any in stock. Damn it.<br><br>I saw your review there. Wow, what a fool the engineer must have been!<br><br>-Ben<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Ben - <br><br>Go to www.orangemusic.net<br><br>Unless they've changed, you'll have to print up an order form and send a money order. <br><br>"The Black Page#2" isn't as clean as the "Zappa In New York" version, but the feel of the bass and drums is incredible. It sounds mean.<br><br>And there are no mistakes! (The clipped ending is only noticeable with headphones, or if you listen really closely.)They do BP #1 well too.<br><br>The whole disc is great. The vocals are operatic, which is a little comical, but I like it. Their pitch is good.<br><br>And the guitar solos are fantastic. I think Zappa would approve.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:29 pm 

Thanks for the link. What do you mean by "not as clean?" Just curious.<br><br>Thanks again,<br>Ben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:38 pm 

<br>[quote author=Mumbo_Pocus link=board=albums&num=1033089380&start=30#30 date=10/14/02 at 16:29:11]<br>Thanks for the link. What do you mean by "not as clean?" Just curious.<br><br>Thanks again,<br>Ben<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ben -<br><br>The "Zappa In New York" version of "The Black Page" has every note crystal clear like a studio recording, even though it was a live performance. Maybe it contains overdubs. I don't know.<br><br>The "Dangerous Kitchen" version of "The Black Page" is a little muddy like a live recording. The credits name a studio as the recording location, but it's confusing beause they refer to "the show", as if it had been a concert. The whole CD has that live feel with a lot of energy, but the sound quality is just fine. (Except the editing could have been done better.)<br><br>The guitarist is heavily influenced by Zappa. He doesn't play it safe or sound sterile. (But obviously, there's no substitute for Frank.) "Peaches En Regalia" includes Zappa's lead from the "Hot Rats" version.<br><br>Other highlights are "Inca Roads", "Drowning Witch" and "Envelopes".<br><br>I'm sure many people wouldn't like the operatic vocals on this CD, but I don't mind. Zappa's music is supposed to be a little humorous. And there's more than enough great instrumental music on the disc.<br><br>The main feature is that amazing "Black Page #2".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:48 pm 

Ah, thanks for the explanation.<br><br>-Ben

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:05 pm 

1. DIO FA<br>2. ZOOT ALLURES<br>3. G-SPOT TORNADO<br>4. NIGHT SCHOOL<br>5. PEACHES IN REGALIA<br><br>Those are first five that came up, emotionally, in my brain.<br><br>Ciao

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:46 am 

I really like the version of 'Strictly Genteel' on YCDTOSA Vol 6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:21 am 

I believe that Zappa in NY is at or near the pinnacle of his live recordings.  Purple lagoon is close to perfect...<br><br>Favorite instrumentals<br><br>Original Peaches En Regalia<br>RDNZL from Lather<br>The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution<br>King Kong from Uncle Meat (especially Don's part)<br>Invocation and Dance of the Ritualistic Pumpkin<br>Holiday in Berlin Full Blown<br><br><br>...and next week these'll change...love  that Frank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:14 am 

I'd say Peaches En Regalia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:06 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1033089380;start=30#35 date=03/11/03 at 04:03:07]<br><br>QOQUAQ,<br><br> You might just agree with me that "Zappa In New York" is a perfect album in both its LP and CD incarnations but you might not agree with me that FZ's "case of inevitable insertionism" on "The Purple Lagoon" is an astonishingly uninspired FZ guitar solo. FZ himself mentioned several times that his "in-studio" guitar solos were those he was least satisfied with with the notable exception of "Sleep Dirt" and maybe his studio interpolation on "The Purple Lagoon" was one that he had rather high on his list of "studio dissatisfactions". I don't know where that belongs, if anywhere, but it doesn't belong where it is.<br>Well, as the only "blemish" on an otherwise perfect album - "The Black Page" as its highlight - "Zappa In New York" is has only a scant few minutes of sub-FZ quality.<br><br>--Bat<br>[/quote]<br><br>I love “Zappa In New York”, but I prefer the mix of a few songs on “Lather” because they<br>are closer to the original ZINY album as opposed to the CD release.<br><br>On “Lather” :<br><br>  “I Promise” has a better bass line without<br>some odd notes that appear on the ZINY CD mix.  And the last two bars of the guitar solo<br>are different.<br><br>“Lagoon” has the harmonizer on the baritone sax solo.<br><br>“Enema Bandit” has the delay on the lead guitar.<br><br>I personally don’t mind the guitar solo on “Lagoon”.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:25 am 

[quote author=Mr. Canadian link=board=albums;num=1033089380;start=30#40 date=03/11/03 at 11:17:04]<br><br>I disagree with this. I have ZINY (the Barking Pumpkin Records CD version, not the Ryko one) and it's crytal clear and AMAZING. The Lather versions sound crappy in comparision to my ears. Especially when I listen to "Punky's Whips" from on Lather (all bass heavy..horns lower), just disgusting.  ZINY is my ALL-TIME favorite FZ live album, it's got it all.<br><br>Anyway, just my opinion.<br><br>Later.<br>[/quote]<br><br>You are not disagreeing with me since you didn't comment on anything which I stated in my post.<br><br>I didn't list "Punky's Whips" because I too prefer the version on ZINY.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:19 pm 

The greatest Zappa song ever is Strictly Genteel. It's for all those lost in the storm.......<br><br>Strictly genteel &<br><br>1) It must be a camel<br>2) 72 Farther Oblivion (parts became GP)<br>3) Eat That Question<br>4) Duprees paradise<br>5) Waka Jawaka etc<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:25 pm 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=albums;num=1033089380;start=0#10 date=09/30/02 at 11:31:00]G-SPOT TORNADO (Yellow Shark Version)<br>Second on my list would be Strictly Genteel[/quote]<br><br>Strictly Genteel...I agree..it's my favorite......I like you :)<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:26 pm 

[quote author=Graham link=board=albums;num=1033089380;start=30#36 date=03/11/03 at 04:46:41]I really like the version of 'Strictly Genteel' on YCDTOSA Vol 6.[/quote]<br><br>Graham, I like that too. Please listen to the movie version with the london symphony orchestra and that beautiful opera singer. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:57 am 

Eat That Question<br><br>No, <br><br>King Kong<br><br>no,<br><br>G-Spot Tornado<br><br>uh, no<br><br>Black Napkins<br><br>Damn, I can't pick ONE!<br><br>I'll stop now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:02 am 

Best Instrumental Song = Duke of Prunes from Orchestral Favorites!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:47 am 

My heart says I gotta go with Sofa from ZINY...sorry, I just can't argue with my heart right now.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:44 pm 

Redunzl.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF