Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ:OZ reviews?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:15 am 

Hi all.<br><br>I'm contemplating buying the FZ : OZ CD, and was wondering if anyone who already has it might like to post a review.<br><br>Sad to say, but $40 is a serious amount of money for me to spend on one CD, especially these days. I've been wanting the ZFT to begin their own "Dick's Picks"-type series for years, and would like to support their efforts, but, well... money's a little funny these days, and I have to be wise about spending my rare entertainment dollars.<br><br>I am hoping that some feedback from hardcore fans would help.<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br> ;D

Post subject: Re: FZ:OZ reviews?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:33 am 

Sorry, I wanted to reply sooner, but my internet was fucked up. I haven't heard the album myself, but almost all zappa albums (including FZ:OZ and Halloween!) are reviewed here:<br><br>http://home.epix.net/~eichler/reviews/zappa/overview.htm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:02 pm 

Nice.<br><br> :)<br><br>Thanks.<br><br> ;D<br><br>The guitar solos are most important for me really.<br><br> :'(<br><br>They make me teary sometimes.<br><br> ;)<br><br>But in a good way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:18 pm 

If you like guitar solos then you'll be glad to know there are a few tasty suckers on OZ.  Zoot Allures is worth the whole thing for me.  <br><br>T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:48 pm 

while i wouldn't call my 2 cents a review ;), it may be helpful to know  that the performances are wonderful.  you get the feeling that frank and the band were having a lot of fun at this show and it comes through in the recording.  don't expect a "big band" sound on this disc, since it's a relatively small line-up.<br><br>however, i do have issues with the sound quality.  i really don't know exactly how to explain it, but the recording has a nasty edge to it.  to me, it sounds like something went wrong during the analog to digital processing.  i hear the harshness mostly on the snare drum, cymbals, certain guitar parts, and any crowd noise.  there's also a whispy, white noise that's part of this harshness.  any sound engineers out there know what 's going on?<br><br>overall, i do like this disc, not for the sound, but for the performances.  yes, the  price is steep, but it's 2 more cds full of frank!<br><br>later!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:10 am 

Hi,<br><br>Any live official release Frank is rare. 76 Band is a superb petite band. The only mistake Dweezil & Joe mad with the OZ release was that they cut the Inca Roads intro. That was a bummer. FYI, on the 76 shows often Frank would come out and tease Inca Roads as the show started and he would play a few mystical chords. It was very moving and gave you goose bumps. These types of edits concern me.....show is great though. Hope you buy it.<br><br>Peace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:14 am 

I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars rating, but as mentioned above, Zoot Allures alone is worth the price of admission. YOW!