Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joe's Next ____age?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Joe's Triage phase two
December 10th 1971

That one's probably a bit close to the knuckle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:21 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Joe's Triage phase two
December 10th 1971

Ha, that's funny and still bad to the bone. Franks bone that is, glad he made it home. I forgot which MOI member said they thought he was dead at the time. Could have been Howard or Mark. I think they were they closest at the time. I could be wrong, it's not like that hasn't happened before! :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:01 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Joe's Triage phase two
December 10th 1971

Ha, that's funny and still bad to the bone. Franks bone that is, glad he made it home. I forgot which MOI member said they thought he was dead at the time. Could have been Howard or Mark. I think they were they closest at the time. I could be wrong, it's not like that hasn't happened before! :roll: :mrgreen:

I'm all about the humerous...I mean humor :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:30 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I forgot which MOI member said they thought he was dead at the time.

Zappa wrote in his book that the band thought he had died.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:31 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I forgot which MOI member said they thought he was dead at the time.

Zappa wrote in his book that the band thought he had died.

That sounds right, they all thought he was dead. Thanks pbuzby. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:02 pm 

The release of new material is fine. My concern lies in the naming of these things. ZFT have somewhat painted themselves into a corner in terms of naming these releases with words ending with the same three letters. "Camoflage" really? Can't help but think that FZ would steer clear of a title that had even the slightest hint of anything military sounding. Just call 'em Joe's Picks Vol. 1-___ Probably too late for them to change horses in mid-stream however. :wink:

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 pm 

It's fine. Keep em coming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:55 pm 

Got my Camo today. Best Joe's yet.

As a graphic designer, I enjoyed the coloured cherry on Franks smoke on the pic in the booklet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:15 pm 

Joe's Barrage
the box set

due for release on or around Presidents day 2025

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:36 pm 

If I had to stack this one against the other Joe's - Menage is still my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
The release of new material is fine. My concern lies in the naming of these things. ZFT have somewhat painted themselves into a corner in terms of naming these releases with words ending with the same three letters. "Camoflage" really? Can't help but think that FZ would steer clear of a title that had even the slightest hint of anything military sounding. Just call 'em Joe's Picks Vol. 1-___ Probably too late for them to change horses in mid-stream however. :wink:

I think the Corsaga Series is working out quite well. Can't see why they would be painted into a corner. When I look at all the words that ryme with garage, place that conceptual continuity with all factors that exist in the Corsaga Series, history shows that things are moving forward. Someone mentioned a Box Set with the name Joe's Barrage. Not that I expect a box set with 6 Full CDs of new material, but I think a Joe's Barrage box set is possible at some point. I beleive there are now 5 tittles in the Corsaga Sereis, Maybe when they get to 6 tittles a Joe's Barrage Box Set could be a numbered collector item, with some additional artwork in a box set would be of interest. The Box Set could have the first 6 tittles in a box with some extra vault remnant stuff in it. I would like to see a video documentary included in the box set, with Joe Travers & Gail Zappa listening to some Corsaga Sereis masters and talking about the series. Since fans are always itching of what's to come, maybe they could have a little tasting of what's possibly to come in a future Corsaga peoject. Maybe something anywhere from the 7th to 12th installment of the sereis. It's always nice to have a little nugget that is decades ahead of it's time.

Nor did I ever get the impression that FZ had ever omitted song or project titles with a military slant to it. While your waiting for your food to arrive I would suggest you investigate Ancient Armaments. I'm not sure what fallout particles appear on the film you've been watching, but that title goes way beyond so-called "FZ would steer clear of a title that had even the slightest hint of anything military sounding"., and but also, Frank had considered calling his first Guitar Sereis, the Shut Up Trio ...., "Think Tank", that term has some history in the war mongereing domain. Who knows maybe FZ was thinking along the lines of Music Not War.

Frank had an interst in military weaponry. I had gifted him a copy of Jane's Nuclean Biological and Chemical Warfare Guide. He not only told me that he was amazed by it but spoke publicly on the book. That's not to mean that FZ was pro-war, but things from camouflage to the largest weapons that went boom sparked his interest.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Then why even mention it?
They could call it Joe's pickle farm and cannery for all I care. It's all about the music. FZ has plenty of stupid titles. We are used to that.

Don't forget about Road Tapes.

next: Joe's Collage #1(1960's),#2(1970's) and #3(1980's). Or they could mix it up more like the YCDTOSA volumes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:05 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

I think the Corsaga Series is working out quite well. Can't see why they would be painted into a corner. When I look at all the words that ryme with garage, place that conceptual continuity with all factors that exist in the Corsaga Series, history shows that things are moving forward. Someone mentioned a Box Set with the name Joe's Barrage. Not that I expect a box set with 6 Full CDs of new material, but I think a Joe's Barrage box set is possible at some point. I beleive there are now 5 tittles in the Corsaga Sereis, Maybe when they get to 6 tittles a Joe's Barrage Box Set could be a numbered collector item, with some additional artwork in a box set would be of interest. The Box Set could have the first 6 tittles in a box with some extra vault remnant stuff in it. I would like to see a video documentary included in the box set, with Joe Travers & Gail Zappa listening to some Corsaga Sereis masters and talking about the series. Since fans are always itching of what's to come, maybe they could have a little tasting of what's possibly to come in a future Corsaga peoject. Maybe something anywhere from the 7th to 12th installment of the sereis. It's always nice to have a little nugget that is decades ahead of it's time.

Nor did I ever get the impression that FZ had ever omitted song or project titles with a military slant to it. While your waiting for your food to arrive I would suggest you investigate Ancient Armaments. I'm not sure what fallout particles appear on the film you've been watching, but that title goes way beyond so-called "FZ would steer clear of a title that had even the slightest hint of anything military sounding"., and but also, Frank had considered calling his first Guitar Sereis, the Shut Up Trio ...., "Think Tank", that term has some history in the war mongereing domain. Who knows maybe FZ was thinking along the lines of Music Not War.

Frank had an interst in military weaponry. I had gifted him a copy of Jane's Nuclean Biological and Chemical Warfare Guide. He not only told me that he was amazed by it but spoke publicly on the book. That's not to mean that FZ was pro-war, but things from camouflage to the largest weapons that went boom sparked his interest.

Joe's Tittles & Beer!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

I do want Joe to keep 'em coming. But really, I hate this one. I would have left it on the shelf and worked on some other vault gem.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:

Trendy, i think it's pretty cool that you got to meet FZ. was your first meeting at Letterman? got any other stories of personal interaction with the man?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm 

I would like to see a video documentary included in the box set, with Joe Travers & Gail Zappa listening to some Corsaga Sereis masters and talking about the series.

A video of gail is just what I want to see. A troll talking about Frank. Where do I preorder ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
Slipp-age

Yes, slipp-age

I thought that was very funny but I am probably in a gaggle of one....

Last edited by Florentine Pogen on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:45 am 

myourself wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Trendy, i think it's pretty cool that you got to meet FZ. was your first meeting at Letterman? got any other stories of personal interaction with the man?
I was lucky to have a number of opportunities to meet up and talk with Frank between 1981 and 1993. As far as talking with fans in NYC, surely Frank was more familiar with some of the Canarsie Contingent but our conversations were fun and sometimes N'Lightening. I first met and spoke with FZ at the Palladium, April 1981, it was after a cocnert of Edgar Varese music. The times that I got a chance to speak with Frank were at Classical/Rock shows, TV/Radio programs and public promotional events. Sometimes I was lucky to get a backstage pass but more times than not it was just being in the right place at the right time. Not sure if any conversations we had will be part of the Corsaga series but in repsect to that topic I'll keep the details of these encounters in other topics at this domain. Some of the related folklore may stil be up here. Have a nice day.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:24 pm 

I think we're running out of options:

Joe's Shortage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:36 pm 

Joe's Protege

Dweezil carrying on the legacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 pm 

Joe's Pliage

And, this one rhymes with Corsage and Domage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:13 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
myourself wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

I was lucky to have a number of opportunities to meet up and talk with Frank between 1981 and 1993. As far as talking with fans in NYC, surely Frank was more familiar with some of the Canarsie Contingent but our conversations were fun and sometimes N'Lightening. I first met and spoke with FZ at the Palladium, April 1981, it was after a cocnert of Edgar Varese music. The times that I got a chance to speak with Frank were at Classical/Rock shows, TV/Radio programs and public promotional events. Sometimes I was lucky to get a backstage pass but more times than not it was just being in the right place at the right time. Not sure if any conversations we had will be part of the Corsaga series but in repsect to that topic I'll keep the details of these encounters in other topics at this domain. Some of the related folklore may stil be up here. Have a nice day.

up where? would love to read your encounters with Fz?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 am 

mistrijah wrote:
would love to read your encounters with Fz?

it would go something like this:
"I said to Frank.......",
"Then I said.....".
"Then Frank asked me about.....",
etc etc
TT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
myourself wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Cool... I got to meet FZ twice backstage once in Portland Oregon in 1975 where it was a quick tip of the hat and also in 1984 at the County Bowl in Santa Barbara where I was able to speak with John Smothers and asked if I could say hello to FZ and John laughed and I turned around and FZ had just heard all I said ! He grinned and I was thrilled !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 am 

deuce wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
would love to read your encounters with Fz?

it would go something like this:
"I said to Frank.......",
"Then I said.....".
"Then Frank asked me about.....",
etc etc
TT

Perhaps they just tittle-tattled.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next