Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:34 pm 

[center]Welcome to the First Church of Appliantology<br><br>The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading only!<br><br>Image[/center]<br><br>and great starter album <br>a lyrical feast<br>well worthy of its very own thread  :P<br><br>[sub]fifty bucks wuth..<br>..anyways[/sub]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:13 am 

One of my favourite Zappa albums, probably his best! A truly great album with a brilliant "central scrutinizer" concept. Includes also maybe the most beautiful solo from Frank (Watermelon in Easter Hay)! A masterpiece!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:14 am 

[quote author=Fredo En Regalia link=board=albums;num=1092123295;start=0#4 date=08/10/04 at 06:52:58]<br><br>I thought there WAS on the LP, but it was attached to the end of Lucille.[/quote]<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:51 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=albums;num=1092123295;start=0#7 date=08/10/04 at 07:50:32]<br>ets teh ritin part thaats  tuff[/quote]<br><br>LOL!! And stooding up is also a very hard task!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:23 am 

Joes Garage is a great albums

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:16 am 
Banned

[quote author=Gojira1975 link=board=albums;num=1092123295;start=0#9 date=08/10/04 at 09:23:50]Joes Garage is a great albums[/quote]<br><br>FZ's best, next to Sheik Yerbouti. [tt]And Thing-Fish.[/tt] ::)

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:30 pm 

Late in th summer of '79 (or thereabouts)<br>Myself and my then g/f where living in Upper Hutt at her Uncle and Aunts house.<br>We had a little railway batch out back (enuff room for a double bed and a stereo)<br>One nite whilst listinin' to th local alternative station 2ZM,..i put down my pencil when i heard something i hadnt quite heard before ,..it was a guitar solo ,.but quite different from any heard before (i was a BIG Santana freak at th time)<br>Turns out this was Watermelon in Easter Hay..<br>Well Shit!,..i had to have this album!<br>So i duely obliged my want by purchasing Acts II & III that week<br>This was th beginning of my Zappa journey<br><br>I had heard (')at an ol' school chums ,some years previous,..but all he wanted to play was Yellow Sno and giggle<br>Another time a couple of years previous ,..a DJ freind of th family who used to allow me up to th station at weekends to tape stuff outta their vast library and do a teenage version sorta programming let me play a track off Chunga's Revenge (Road Ladies)<br>I still recall th censorship stamps thru th songs that was NOT for airplay!<br> Anyways ,my 1st purchase Acts II & III..<br>I bought it Fri night and only played th Watermelon track off of it,..nice ok<br>On Saturdays we used to have a backyard session,.Id pull th speakers out and there was a semi-circle of old couch's (sofas?)and old car seats<br>They'd all come over and dance around,..smoke a little and drink beerz<br>This particular Saturday i slipped ActII on ,..and what can I say??<br><br>[center]DONT CHU BE TAROT-FIED ...[/center]<br><br>of course i used to sing terrified,..but what th heey<br>Th whole kit and caboodle, indeed ,..became a symphony to me,.it invaded every inch of my being <br><br>I was contaminated! (t/y Bat) ;)<br><br>Hence th start of my Zappa obsession...<br>..and hence th ActsII & III thread

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:03 pm 

[quote author=JiminyMan link=board=albums;num=1092123295;start=0#10 date=08/12/04 at 10:16:10]<br><br>FZ's best, next to Sheik Yerbouti. [tt]And Thing-Fish.[/tt] ::)[/quote]<br>FZs best? IMO they go to CP3, WOIIFTM, Yellow Shark JFH, Lumpy Gravy and SUNPYG........But hey, opinions and tastes are what its all about.....!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:06 pm 

FOR THE DUTCH>>><br><br>Image<br><br>Joe's Garage act 1,2 and 3 will be performed live on stage at the Kleine Komedie in Amsterdam on september 12. Sale starts now! Gail would not let it be performed as a theatrepiece so now it will be performed in concert.<br><br>Also:<br><br>10-9 Utrecht - Tivoli<br>11-9  Haarlem - Patronaat<br>13-9  Enschede - Muziekfestival<br><br>See for more info:<br><br>http://www.promptmusic.nl/<br><br>http://www.dekleinekomedie.nl <br><br>http://www.thetroupe.nl/home.htm<br><br>Joe's Garage van Frank Zappa in een concertante versie<br><br>‘… music is the best…’<br><br>De Central Scrutinizer, een robot-achtige variant op Big Brother, wil de mensen beschermen tegen de schadelijke effecten van de gruwelijke macht die muziek heet. Dat is het uitgangspunt van Joe's Garage, Frank Zappa’s befaamde satirische rockopera in drie bedrijven uit 1979. In dit epos verkent hij de wereld van groupies, regeringen, seksspeeltjes en katholieke schoolmeisjes.<br><br>  <br>Hoofdpersoon Joe is een gitarist die een garagebandje opricht, zijn vriendin Mary kwijtraakt aan de roadies van een commerciële popgroep, verliefd wordt op een robot, in de gevangenis belandt, luchtgitaar speelt, zijn vriendin terug vindt en ‘gelukkig’ wordt als glazuurspuiter in een muffin-bakkerij. Joe's Garage handelt over een totalitaire toekomst waarin muziek wordt verboden om de bevolking te onderdrukken. Het stuk steekt de draak met sociale controle, consumptiedrang, het misdadige bedrijfsleven, seksuele rolpatronen, religie en de leefstijl van rocksterren: al deze machten spannen samen tegen de hoofdpersoon, een heel gewone jongen die alleen maar gitaar wil spelen.<br><br>Het verhaal wordt verteld door middel van songs met weinig verhullende titels als ‘Catholic Girls’, ‘Crew Slut’, ‘Fembot in a Wet T-shirt’, ‘Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?’ en ‘Keep it Greasey’. De absurdistische, soms ronduit melige songteksten zijn gezet op muziek met het klassieke Zappa-geluid, waarin een hoofdrol is weggelegd voor de gitaar. De songs worden onderbroken door gesproken tekst van de futuristische Central Scrutinizer.<br><br>Deze versie van Joe's Garage is in juni 2003 in première gegaan tijdens het Juttersfestival in Wijk aan Zee. Onder muzikale leiding van Egon Kracht én met toestemming van de Erven Zappa heeft het gezelschap een voorstelling neergezet die vriend en vijand verrastte. Vanaf juni 2004 gaat Joe's Garage in reprise en zal een tournee maken langs theater- en concertzalen in Nederland en Duitsland.<br><br>Joe's Garage wordt uitgevoerd door The Troupe, bestaande uit: Frans van Deursen (zang), Jeroen Zijlstra (zang/trompet), Rutger Molenkamp (tenorsax), Jan-Peter Bast (keyboards), Freek Kroon (zang/drums), Milan Kracht (gitaar), Murk Jiskoot (percussie) en Egon Kracht (basgitaar).<br> <br> <br>    

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:11 pm 

Arguably the ultimate drummer's album. Vinnie is in a class of his own. Dead on timing, crisp, dynamic, creative, he can stay on top of the most difficult to follow time signatures, and has such feel for every song he plays. I was blown away the first time I heard Joe's Garage 25 years ago and it still amazes to this day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:36 pm 

[quote author=Haktoff link=board=albums;num=1092123295;start=15#16 date=10/04/04 at 21:11:59]Arguably the ultimate drummer's album. Vinnie is in a class of his own. Dead on timing, crisp, dynamic, creative, he can stay on top of the most difficult to follow time signatures, and has such feel for every song he plays. I was blown away the first time I heard Joe's Garage 25 years ago and it still amazes to this day.[/quote]<br>I agree man. Especially on Outside Now, I think VC just kills on that. As a drummer, it sure is a delight, but then I guess it is too even if you dont play.........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:03 am 

Joe's Garage was the album that really sealed the deal for me being a FZ fan, haven't looked back since  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:42 am 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=albums;num=1092123295;start=15#18 date=10/05/04 at 05:17:31]<br><br>Right, it's just too bad him and Frank fought over $ so much. We may have gotten a few more albums out of him otherwise.[/quote]<br>I didnt know they fought about money, any more info on this?