Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mother of Instrumentals
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:17 pm 

Am  the only one who thinks that Frank's best songs are for the most part instrumentals? This is true throughout (Echidna's arf is the best song on Roxy, Watermelon on Joe's Garage), but its especially true for the earlier mothers songs. All those songs like 'oh no' and 'take your clothes off' are so much better in their instrumental forms than in their wordier ones. Albums like ahead of their time really benifit from the number of instrumental versions such as 'lets make the water turn black' too. Anyone else agree?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:46 pm 

A veeeeeeery reluctant "yes" from me. Maybe the fact that I am from a non-english-speaking country makes me a bit biased here, but I agree. I have always listened to the lyrics of FZ's songs as being an instrumental thing - I mean what is "Easy Meat" really about if not a (good) excuse for a monster guitar solo? (Hopefully, it was not a serious song about girls of whatever dimension? - in that respect it would not get much credit)<br><br>And concerning "Take your.." : it is great in the jazz-style intrumental!!!!!! Nevertheless, the new version on OZ is kind of attractive!!  :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:21 am 

Hey man ,I'm an enthusiastic of Zappa instrumental music.<br>I think it´s one of the best moments in  music in all times. Perhaps that´s the true circumstance that impulse me to be a Zappa music apreciator: The complexity of your musical structures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:23 am 

Whilst I do enjoy F.Z's vocal songs, whoever sings them, I really enjoy his instrumentals, or the part of the song where you know the vocals end and the instruments takeover. It's Zappa's instrumentals that really made me a fan. It's pure genius. It's as good as music gets when all those top musicians that he employed over the years are let off the leash to play the wonderful music that he wrote. Whatever the song, it brings a smile to my face to hear music that good.  ;D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:40 am 

<br>[quote author=leejacobs link=board=albums&num=1033863450&start=0#2 date=10/05/02 at 16:57:00]<br>I don't know if I'd go so far as to find them preferable but I do feel that when Zappa did instrumental versions of songs that originally had vocals, one could really see how beautiful his melodies were.  When I first heard YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE VOLUME 1 and it got to the "Let's Make The Water Turn Black/Harry You're A Beast/Orange County Lumber Truck" medley I was blown away at just how pretty the music was.    <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Jawoll! How true that is!<br>I LIKE the lyrics also, because they make me lough. But recently I noticed that is quite often the vocals, the lyrics and the way they were sung witch distracts many people from being into Zappas music: I listened to a guy nemed Pierre-Jean Gaucher, who covers Zappa tunes in a very modern jazzy way. He puts diverse themes into one song, structures them newly. Nice! If asked what it is I said "it´s Zappa played by someone else" - the people were stunned. Same goes for the calssical stuff and the parts were his bands are "really Jammin`"  <br>If you listen to shows from the 60s or 70s there were big instrumental passages like the big King Kong/Uncle Meat-Medleys, Duprees Daradise and stuff. Things changed with Flo & Eddie, then returned to more instrumental again. By the time of Napoleon the albums and shows became more textualised. Like FRank said: "I wouldn`t have to write lyrics at all if there was any interest in instrumental music". <br>Luckily we have this interest, Frankie! And thank you for supplying it!!!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:38 am 

I like instrumental music better in general, and being FZ my favorite composer I agree for sure. <br>I think that most of his most wonderful vocal melodies took birth just as a melody line that could have been played by any instrument (including voice once lyrics were supplied). Just think of Duke of Prunes or Idiot Bastard Son.<br>Those melodies are WONDERFUL, totally different from the rock songs that were born with lyrics, or from the vehicles for hilarious extravaganzas... <br>So for those kind of compositions it makes no difference for me if there is a lead vocal or not since the intention in composing them was anyway the same as for an instrumental.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:19 pm 

Personally, seeing as I bought AHEAD OF THEIR TIME before any of the YCDTOSA series, I say the former's versions of 'King Kong' and the 'LMTWTB/HYAB/OCLT' medley kick supreme backside! Basically, the whole album is excellent, especially the 'Epilogue' build-up prior to 'King Kong' (ooh, it makes the hairs literally stand up on the back of my neck!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:50 am 

Peaches En Regalia<br><br>Frank's best instrumental song.......EVER<br><br>G-Spot Tornado just behind......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:58 am 

yeah! Ahead of their Time rocks, and is mainly what i was talking about. The instrumental 'sleeping in a jar' is fantastic, and the last group of songs (lets make the water turn back - orange country lumbertruck) are almost unequalled in Zappa's catalogue. Even the first part is great. I always get goosebumps when i hear all those bits of 200 motels' music making an appearance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:22 pm 

I don't know if I like the instrumental stuff better, I like it all the same, just in different ways. <br><br>I like the really BIG sounds of the really BIG songs- Lumber Truck, King Kong,Purple Lagoon,Pedro's Dowry,,And the classic stuff, the Sofas,Peaches, Watermellon, and such. <br><br>('Ahead Of Their Time' is one of my favorites, along with 'Hot Rats'...And I know just what you mean about how a funny or cool song can become a beautiful song when you just hear the music.)<br><br>Frank had so many beautiful words and so many interesting  things to tell us -Inca Roads, Andy, PJ People, Flower Punk, Carolina Hard-core Ecstasy, The Torture Never Stops, Camarillo Brillo..<br><br>Oh man,I just can't decide....  :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:40 am 

Blessed relief, Peaches, echidnas arf, ..and, well, all the instrumentals he did are good, but these came to mind first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:54 pm 

purchased sleep dirt cd today after listening to taped copies of the vinyl all these years (i used to buy lp's the week they hit the bins)... gonna need some time to get used to the vocal tracks, it's like a completely different album to my ears; it even changes the way i look at the cover art....my mind is saying 'this is not appropriate at all, this is an instrumental album', but i'll reserve judgement for now (like, ok, th'phish03; i bought the cd, are ya happy now)<br><br>i'm listening to it on the 'phones, what a difference after listening to tapes....i got sidetracked & played the ending of filthy habits about 8 times - fucking awesome  :o - i forgot frank's on the  keyboards, shades of jan hammer, keith tippet, deodato, herbie hancock & chick corea, with those sinister guitar riffs weaving in & out of the background

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:33 am 

[quote author=The Perfect Stranger link=board=albums;num=1033863450;start=0#0 date=10/05/02 at 16:17:30]Am  the only one who thinks that Frank's best songs are for the most part instrumentals? This is true throughout (Echidna's arf is the best song on Roxy, Watermelon on Joe's Garage), but its especially true for the earlier mothers songs. All those songs like 'oh no' and 'take your clothes off' are so much better in their instrumental forms than in their wordier ones. Albums like ahead of their time really benifit from the number of instrumental versions such as 'lets make the water turn black' too. Anyone else agree?[/quote]<br>Pretty agree but for me is only a question of aesthetic taste... he did great vocal parts to and I love them...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:30 pm 

I think the vocal version of "Oh No" is alot better than the instrumental one.  The melody is just as beautiful and the lyrics are fucking great.<br><br>Take that Mr. Lennon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:04 am 

I love it all but have to say if you like intense psychedelic music, there is something very special about older Zappa instrumentals that it is really unique.<br><br>72 Farther Oblivion, 73 dupress paradise, 73 Eat That Question......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:15 pm 

Zoot Allures, anyone? Black Napkins? The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue? Be-Bop Tango? (OK. That last one may not count, but as the Central Scrutinizer said, "Who gives a fuck anyway?")

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:34 pm 

Well most of my Zappa favs are instrumentals, but I also love Frank as a lyricist and vocalist. I'm singing along to Apostrophe (') right now!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:25 pm 

<br><br> HEY!<br><br>     if it wasnt for the insrumentals,   i probably wouldnt be a zappaphile right now!<br><br>     zappa's GRAND WAZOO  changed my life.   <br>    it was the first zappa album i ever owned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:34 am 

[quote author=Thing-Fish2003 link=board=albums;num=1033863450;start=15#20 date=06/30/03 at 23:54:19]I like all of Zappa's instrumental songs, both the originals and the vocal versions, but I'd have to say, the songs that benifit from vocals are the Hunchentoot songs on Sleep Dirt, and Amnerika (Unreleased Vocal Version. Too Bad This wasn't released, It's really good. Click Here to listen to it.)[/quote]<br><br>Good call on the vocals for the sleep dirt tracks.....I always enjoyed them and can never understand why so many people complain about that desicion!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:37 am 

Toads of the Short Forest<br>Erid Dolphy Memorial Barbecue<br>Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown<br>Little Umbrellas<br>Big Swifty/wakajawaka<br>Blessed relief<br>legend of the golden arches<br>Uncle Meat Variations<br>Project X<br>Eat That Question<br>Don't you ever wash that thing? ;D<br>