Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Orchestral Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:11 am 

I just bought Orchestral Favorites today and it definently didn't deserve it's bad qritique as I've read. Here's a dig through:<br><br>1. Strictly Genteel - The best version of this song. Simply beautiful.<br>2. Pedro's Dowry - Probarbly my least favorite on the disc, but still good. It's completely freaky. Just my style.<br>3. Naval Aviartian In Art - This one has that scary melody. It's pretty good for a one minute song.<br>4. Duke of Prunes - The best version of this song EVER and I even used to hate this song before! Now I dig it!<br>5. Bogus Pomp - Take all the good stuff FROM 200 Motels and stick it into this 13 minute masterpiece ;)<br><br>Anyone agree?

Post subject: Re: Orchestral Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:43 am 

A great album, a real gem...I didn't care for it much when it was first released and quite honestly it spent many years collecting dust on the shelf. I absolutely remember disliking Bogus Pomp.  But a gut feeling told me to re-examine it in the early 90's (along with Sleep Dirt) and I have loved both discs ever since...definitely in my FZ top 20...<br><br>Strange...it was literally like I woke up one morning about 10 years ago and realized that they were great albums...I'll never forget that...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:47 am 

Cool<br><br>I've always cared for Sleep Dirt and Orchestral Favorites. That cover of Sleep Dirt just kept saying in a creepy voice to me: "Buy me, Buy me"". So I did. One of my favorite comments of this album is Rykodisc's comment in the Complete Frank Zappa Catalog which comes with the newest compilations and CDs.<br><br>:D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:49 am 

And:<br><br>When I turn on this Strictly Genteel then I can't turn it off even if I want too. People can say Zappa is bad, but when they say Strictly Genteel is bad then I get mad!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:05 pm 

I don't like Orchestral Favorities... not too much I mean.<br><br>I don't like the mix between orchestra and band-section; I think it isn't well done, they sounds like two different opposite atmospheres.<br><br>I don't like this version of Strictly Genteel, at all.<br><br>I think that best Duke of Prunes is on MISTERY DISC.<br><br>Ciao