Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ripping DVD-A to WAV?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:40 pm 

Does anybody know how to do this?<br>I've searched the web but haven't really found anything except on how to rip the audio from a regular DVD, but that doesn't seem to work on DVD-A.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:19 am 

[font=arial]Hmmm... I've managed to "locate" the Halloween DVD-A in mp3 format. Explain how that was done..........??[/font]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:00 am 

[quote author=BBSNX link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#2 date=10/28/04 at 03:19:48][font=arial]Hmmm... I've managed to "locate" the Halloween DVD-A in mp3 format. Explain how that was done..........??[/font][/quote]<br>i believe if you use sequencer software which supports dvda format then when you sequence these tracks in a program like cubase for example you can then mix the track down to mp3 or wav format, i'm not sure but i think this would be one method

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:18 am 

[quote author=BBSNX link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#2 date=10/28/04 at 03:19:48][font=arial]Hmmm... I've managed to "locate" the Halloween DVD-A in mp3 format. Explain how that was done..........??[/font][/quote]<br><br>[font=arial]Now I am also able to listen to "Quaud" on a regular cd player too. Sounds good in the car !![/font]<br> ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:36 am 

You can use something like "Audio Hijack" for Mac to rip DVD audio to AIFF.  <br><br>http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/<br><br>I'm not sure what apps work for PC, but I'm sure there is some PC equivalent...<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:40 am 

[quote author=BBSNX link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#2 date=10/28/04 at 03:19:48][font=arial]Hmmm... I've managed to "locate" the Halloween DVD-A in mp3 format. Explain how that was done..........??[/font][/quote]<br><br>Most likely someone played the DVD-A in a computer's DVD drive and recorded the sound as wave files. It would then be a simple matter to convert the waves to mp3 files.<br><br>It's pretty crude, but it works.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:49 am 

[quote author=Klaatu link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#5 date=10/29/04 at 08:36:22]You can use something like "Audio Hijack" for Mac to rip DVD audio to AIFF.  <br><br>http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/<br><br>I'm not sure what apps work for PC, but I'm sure there is some PC equivalent...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>This would not work for a DVD-A though. The DVD-A format stores audio in a different format than DVD-Video. Software that lets you rip audio from a DVD actually rips the audio from the Video_TS folder, not the Audio_TS folder (which is where the DVD-A audio is stored).<br><br>As far as I know, DVD-A has not been cracked yet, making digital ripping impossible (for now anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:19 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#7 date=10/29/04 at 08:49:49]<br><br><br>This would not work for a DVD-A though. The DVD-A format stores audio in a different format than DVD-Video. Software that lets you rip audio from a DVD actually rips the audio from the Video_TS folder, not the Audio_TS folder (which is where the DVD-A audio is stored).<br><br>As far as I know, DVD-A has not been cracked yet, making digital ripping impossible (for now anyway).[/quote]<br>well there's mp3 versions of quad flying about

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:35 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#8 date=10/29/04 at 09:19:47]<br>well there's mp3 versions of quad flying about [/quote]<br><br>Yep, and they were either made by recording the audio to wave files as it was playing, or it's possible that the stereo track for Quad is in the Video_TS folder, which would enable DVD rippers to rip it.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:21 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#9 date=10/29/04 at 10:35:33]<br><br>Yep, and they were either made by recording the audio to wave files as it was playing, or it's possible that the stereo track for Quad is in the Video_TS folder, which would enable DVD rippers to rip it.<br>[/quote]<br>yes...i posted that before i'd read your previous post  ::) i'm an arsehole i know   ;)

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:30 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#10 date=10/29/04 at 11:21:00]<br>yes...i posted that before i'd read your previous post  ::) i'm an arsehole i know   ;)[/quote]<br><br> :) Naw, you're not an arsehole. This new technology is enough to confuse anyone  :)  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:27 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#7 date=10/29/04 at 08:49:49]<br><br><br>This would not work for a DVD-A though. The DVD-A format stores audio in a different format than DVD-Video. Software that lets you rip audio from a DVD actually rips the audio from the Video_TS folder, not the Audio_TS folder (which is where the DVD-A audio is stored).<br><br>As far as I know, DVD-A has not been cracked yet, making digital ripping impossible (for now anyway).[/quote]<br><br>Actually, from what I understand about Audio Hijack, it just records the audio from whatever application you choose it to record from in real time.  It's not ripping it directly from the DVD.  <br><br>So far I've used it to record streams of internet radio, like The Al Franken Show and NPR.<br><br>I'm going to have to try this tonight to see if it works.  I need to put Quad on my iPod anyway.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:15 am 

[quote author=Klaatu link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=0#12 date=10/29/04 at 13:27:03]<br><br>Actually, from what I understand about Audio Hijack, it just records the audio from whatever application you choose it to record from in real time.  It's not ripping it directly from the DVD.  <br><br>So far I've used it to record streams of internet radio, like The Al Franken Show and NPR.<br><br>I'm going to have to try this tonight to see if it works.  I need to put Quad on my iPod anyway.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yep, that should work, as it's not actually ripping, just recording the sound as it's played. It's almost impossible to prevent that kind of copying. I don't have Quad yet, but when I get it I will want to make MP3s from it for playing in my car (but not for filesharing). <br>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:35 am 

As I'm a non intelligent bastard, I tried to duplicate my wonderfull Quaudo... Well, it's impossible in my area, cause I can't find a 6.x Gb DVD (only 4.7 Gb avaible). Quaudo is really a good item, I've don't verified Halloween cause I received the stuff Lately.<br><br>I'm a non intellegent bastard, but I precise that I only burn for my personnal use, I think it's legal (one copy on use only).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:25 am 

Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll just try and record Quad on the computer. <br>For some reason I can't scan the disc on my DVD player (Halloween works fine), so if I want to go back and hear a section again I would have to skip to the beginning of that track. Very annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:31 am 

try this: (I did and it works, Thanks to imisshimbad post)<br><br><br>Converting DVD stuff to CD's..<br>« on: 09/18/04 at 10:15:57 »  <br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>Noticed some people wanted their Zappa DVD music on CD(: I noticed some people asking about this, it's pretty easy to do. You can do it with stuff like Halloween, or any DVD concerts, movies, etc.... <br> <br>Basically the idea is you play the DVD on a computer while that computer records it's own Stereo Mixer. I use good ole Cool Edit software because it allows me to set the record levels, but you can use something like musicmatch (http://musicmatch.com/). (Note, the free one will work, but the 19.95 does some stuff faster. It's good software, one of the only ones to support IC3 tags for album art and liner notes..I think win amp still doesn't do this. Native XP stuff may woitk fine too, so check ithat out first if you want...heck, even media player may work, I dont know). <br> <br>You set the recording software to monitor the Stereo Mixer, and hit record. Then you start the DVD playing. When it's done, hit stop on the recording software, and if musicmatch hit "Create CD From Playlist" and you can output a CD. Or you can also output it as .mp3 if you go that way. I use Cool Edit and outpyt as a .wav which I can then output to MD for mobile use(: <br> <br>It's pretty easy to convert these things, so in my book, I'd like to be able to get all releases in 5.1, I can make CD's, but still have the benifit of all the work theu put into thwe DVD's(: <br> <br>Things to be aware of in Windows. <br>When setting up to record, double click the speaker icon in the tray to open the PLAYBACK controls. Then choose OPTIONS>PROPERTIES and select the RECORD controls. Put a check in the show "Stereo Mixer", then be sure the level is up on that control, and it's selected, (line in or mic may be selected when you first open it). <br> <br>You might have to play around with that a bit to learn how to get everything working...but once you do, you can output the soundtrack off and DVD as a CD or mp3. <br> <br>Also, whatever music recording software, make sure it's set to monitor the Stereo Mixer, not line in or mic or something else. <br> <br>The last thing to be aware of is if you wae using software that's outputting a wave, you'll need 700-800 meg of free space for the interum .wav step. <br> <br>Hope this helps  <br>-baddy <br> <br>PS. Ain't it nice that the drought is over, life is good, FZ is back(: <br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:49 am 

[quote author=Fredrik link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=15#15 date=10/31/04 at 02:25:04]Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll just try and record Quad on the computer. <br>For some reason I can't scan the disc on my DVD player (Halloween works fine), so if I want to go back and hear a section again I would have to skip to the beginning of that track. Very annoying. [/quote]Strange because Keith made a fine job on Quaudo, there is a main entry (at right down), click on, choose tracks and then click on what you want to hear. Have fun!.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:52 am 

[quote author=nico link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=15#17 date=10/31/04 at 06:49:49]<br>Strange because Keith made a fine job on Quaudo, there is a main entry (at right down), click on, choose tracks and then click on what you want to hear. Have fun!.[/quote]<br><br>Everything works except the "search" function (ffw & rew)<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:24 am 

[quote author=Fredrik link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=15#18 date=11/02/04 at 11:52:27]<br><br>Everything works except the "search" function (ffw & rew)<br>[/quote]A very fast quick thinking about your little trouble. Create Bookmark, you can choose as well your section in menu roll.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:50 pm 

If you have iTunes, file conversion is quite easy and fast. I'm not sure about DVD-A, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:48 pm 

[quote author=RONNYANDKENNY link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=15#20 date=11/08/04 at 19:50:22]If you have iTunes, file conversion is quite easy and fast. I'm not sure about DVD-A, though.[/quote]An analogue K7 Deck does...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:44 pm 

I believe you could play it in a DVD player, and have the audio out going to your pc's audio in.  Record it in a pgrm like Sound Forge.  You'd have to manually split up the tracks, which can also be done in Sound Forge.  Then burn them to CD for your car.<br><br>I personally would not suggest keeping the files on your pc or sharing them p2p.  And if you do happen to share these files, Joe, Dweez and I are going to show up at your door and shove your pc up your ass.  8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:49 pm 

[quote author=Butch link=board=albums;num=1098949236;start=15#23 date=11/09/04 at 16:44:35]I believe you could play it in a DVD player, and have the audio out going to your pc's audio in.  Record it in a pgrm like Sound Forge.  You'd have to manually split up the tracks, which can also be done in Sound Forge.  Then burn them to CD for your car.<br><br>I personally would not suggest keeping the files on your pc or sharing them p2p.  And if you do happen to share these files, Joe, Dweez and I are going to show up at your door and shove your pc up your ass.  8)[/quote]<br><br>I guess that's what I will do, and don't worry, I will never share the files and there's no way in hell I'm making mp3s either! ;D<br><br><br>