Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ryko Deal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:06 am 

I notice that people on the board, don't seem to like Ryko and seem to be pleased that the deal is over.<br><br>As a newbie  here, can I ask <br><br>1. Why don't people like Ryko ?<br><br>2. Who will take over the distibution ?<br><br>3. I like the Ryko format, presentation etc will the discs<br>    be available once the deal is over ?

Post subject: Re: Ryko Deal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:54 am 

I should think I have. When A merica wakes up and folk start logging on they will be chocking on their breakfast coffee.<br><br>Reasons to like Ryko...<br><br>They are cheap to buy in the U.K. All the stores like Music Zone sell the single Zappa's for under £6.00.<br><br>They give H.M.V. a good discount so the sales are always full of Zappa's for about a fiver.<br><br>Ryko are a great label putting out great music other than FZ.<br><br>The product looks good.<br><br>The sound is alway excellent.<br><br>The staff are helpful when you phone or e mail them.<br><br>So why the can of worms ??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:18 am 

[quote author=Mr_B link=board=albums;num=1101380805;start=0#2 date=11/25/04 at 04:54:23]I should think I have. When A merica wakes up and folk start logging on they will be chocking on their breakfast coffee.<br><br>Reasons to like Ryko...<br><br>They are cheap to buy in the U.K. All the stores like Music Zone sell the single Zappa's for under £6.00.<br><br>They give H.M.V. a good discount so the sales are always full of Zappa's for about a fiver.<br><br>Ryko are a great label putting out great music other than FZ.<br><br>The product looks good.<br><br>The sound is alway excellent.<br><br>The staff are helpful when you phone or e mail them.<br><br>So why the can of worms ??[/quote]<br>the cheapest i've seen a zappa album in hmv outwith the cheap thrills discs is 10.99...normally they're arounf 12.99, i've always found that regardless of discounts on other artists, zappa's albums have never been subject to discount in ANY major record store in britain...including hmv. HMV normally has the same prices on discs across britain and i've never seen any zappa albums at this price...i've seen some compilations at that price but not actual albums. Another problem with ryko is the jewel cases....not the sturdiest available and i'm sure if you're a collector of the ryko discs, more than a few of these will have cracked around the centrepiece that holds the disc. Also, a lot of the stuff on the ryko cds differs from how the album originally sounded...for many purists this is a no no as they like to hear the music how it was originally intended and not in a remixed form. Personally, i have no problem with ryko other than the cheap jewel cases, ryko was almost all that was available to me without having to go out of my way to get the albums and when i was first starting out listening to him, i wasn't really concerned which label released the best versions of the albums and so on...i just wanted to hear the music. So for me ryko was great. Could you tell me which albums are available for £6 from hmv as i'm keen to know if they're albums or compilations and for how long they've been doing this....i followed the price of zappa discs for years in most of the major uk record stores and i've never found them at such a low price, the loswet i ever found was at http://www.tesco.com where the price fluctuated between 7.49 and 11.99

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

Post subject: re: ryko deal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:47 am 

[/speculation] the 10-year non-compete deal is over, specific complaints about ryko from gail pertain to the green cases, using cal schenkel for art & advertising, issuing recycled watered-down fz product in the form of picks/cheep thrills/compilations and underpricing the cd's<br><br>ryko is still distibuting a full catalog, whereas barfko-swill's fz selection is horribly foreshortened - down to 39<br><br>most people echo tcs's winge about the fragile cases; as far as pricing goes, ya get watcha pay for...all the major shops around here have 90% of the fz ryko catalog; new ryko cd's go for approx:
  • $7 for cheep thrills
  • $11 for some of the single cd's (ruben, francesco, studio tan, picks etc.)
  • $14 for most other single cd's
  • $17 for some doubles (ycdtosa, uncle meat)
  • up to $27 for the other doubles like ziny, jazz noise
  • $40 for lather & shutup box
  • [/speculation]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:38 pm 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=albums;num=1101380805;start=0#3 date=11/25/04 at 05:18:52]<br>the cheapest i've seen a zappa album in hmv outwith the cheap thrills discs is 10.99...normally they're arounf 12.99, i've always found that regardless of discounts on other artists, zappa's albums have never been subject to discount in ANY major record store in britain...including hmv. HMV normally has the same prices on discs across britain and i've never seen any zappa albums at this price...i've seen some compilations at that price but not actual albums. Another problem with ryko is the jewel cases....not the sturdiest available and i'm sure if you're a collector of the ryko discs, more than a few of these will have cracked around the centrepiece that holds the disc. Also, a lot of the stuff on the ryko cds differs from how the album originally sounded...for many purists this is a no no as they like to hear the music how it was originally intended and not in a remixed form. Personally, i have no problem with ryko other than the cheap jewel cases, ryko was almost all that was available to me without having to go out of my way to get the albums and when i was first starting out listening to him, i wasn't really concerned which label released the best versions of the albums and so on...i just wanted to hear the music. So for me ryko was great. Could you tell me which albums are available for £6 from hmv as i'm keen to know if they're albums or compilations and for how long they've been doing this....i followed the price of zappa discs for years in most of the major uk record stores and i've never found them at such a low price, the loswet i ever found was at http://www.tesco.com where the price fluctuated between 7.49 and 11.99 [/quote]<br><br><br><br>Sure thing. In HMV check every campagain they have at the start. Generally there is 5 to 10 FZ titles in stock at 4.99 or 5.99, but you have to jump on them.<br><br>Music Zone permanantly have up to 20 differing single titles at £5.97.<br><br>Fopp usually have X number at under £10.00 price points ie £7 or £5, depending on the campaigain.<br><br>Look at the www.Amazon.co.uk prices as well.<br><br>Thanks.<br>Mike