Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:40 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=0#0 date=09/17/04 at 16:12:05]I don't have 5.1, so listened to it in stereo, and the mix provided for that wasn't so great; it's clear that the 5.1 mix doesn't translate well to stereo.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Well I've only just ordered it and unfortunately my stereo is not four way either. Have got a real shitty cheap dvd player but can't imagine it's gonna sound any good through me fuckin telly speakers either. A bit disappointed before I even get it...... s'pose I'll have to drag meself into the 21st Century and get one of these fuckin' 5.1 or whatever the latest dolby prologicesque digital surround sound system things are......just so this and the Halloween one sound like they oughta. What's gonna be the next fuckin' format mix? Such a high frequency only fuckin' dogs can hear it ? Bah.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:30 pm 

Chunga is new.  Its a totally different arrangement.  A real gem in my opinion.<br><br>I disagree with you about the stereo sound quality.  I think it sounds excellent.  <br><br>I'm glad they released this original version of Waka/Jawaka.  Sure, It's not as good as the album version, but its interesting to hear it in this early format.  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:57 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=0#3 date=09/17/04 at 18:33:22]<br>Chunga is NOT NEW! It's a different arrangement only. Which is nice, but I'm always hoping for actual new stuff. nice, of course, but not ground breaking.[/quote]<br><br>Are you retarded?? This version of Chunga IS new!! How can it not be new?? It's NEW!! We've never heard IT until now. That makes it NEW, plus:<br><br>1 - It's recorded in FZs basement! Not in the studio like  the LP track was.<br>2 - It's a rehearsal so they are probably getting it ready to go to the studio to record it.<br>3 - The musicians are not the same and they are not playing the same things on each version.<br><br>QuAUDIO version:<br>FZ's Basement<br>March 1, 1970<br>Engineer: Dick Kunc<br>FZ--guitar <br>Ian Underwood--keyboards<br>Max Bennett--bass <br>Aynsley Dunbar--drums<br><br>LP version:<br>The Record Plant, LA<br>March, 1970<br>FZ--guitar <br>Ian Underwood--electric alto sax with wah-wah pedal <br>Sugar Cane Harris--organ <br>Max Bennett--bass <br>Aynsley Dunbar--drums<br><br>It's a totally DIFFERANT track, therefore making it NEW!!<br>Do your fucking homework Ronny!!<br><br>For once Johnny-Future-Rock-Drummer-to-the-Stars is on target. -gz<br><br>p.s. QuAUDIOPHILIAc represents the intention of both producers - it was created for the multi-channel audiophile, starting with FZ.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:50 pm 

QuAUDIOPHILIAc in EuroPA<br><br>Help me to write an european review about QuAUDIOPHILIAc. I received the box at 10:45 am by post on Monday 20th September. Nice, liner NOTES is. Maybe I'm the first citizen of Europa to listen to QuAUDIOPHILIAc (correct me if i'm not i'm interested).<br>The bass of Lump# <mistake : rollo indeed> is pretty correct, like on RE-egyptian strut. I need to listen more. It's a good buying, expensive for an European, i need to mean.<br>BUT I HAVE A FUCKIN problem, i just have stereo :-/ >:( :o ??? ::) 8). Give more European waves on this project, it would be nice for the music.<br>Rollo IS, indeed, i'm listenning it.  ;D<br>Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:28 pm 

I think this is a nice review:<br><br>Now this is more like it, an improvement in every way--except length--over Halloween, the previous FZ DVD-A release. Better instrumental/vocal ratio, more (pleasant) surprises, high audio bliss for all ages who still have <br>their hearing intact. As for the video, I prefer the great period stills of Frank here over the stylized photos with lots of text on Halloween. And hey, I liked Halloween, too, just not as much as this one. <br><br>As for the tracks: <br><br>Naval Aviation sounds like the same take as on Lather, but with cool surround placement of the instruments. <br><br>Lumpy Gravy is actually a segment from within the work, not the opening theme. I'm sure someone else can identify the name of this chunk. Combined <br>with Naval Aviation, this is like the taped opening of many of Frank's '70s <br>shows. It might even be the very same tape he played over the PA those many times, although I believe some of Knick-Knack People was usually mixed in as well. <br><br>Rollo sounds like a few orchestra members missed their cues here and there (maybe the reason Frank never released it), but still it contains a great FZ guitar solo, and it pulls toward a rousing conclusion. Again some cool surround placement of the orchestra. <br><br>Drooling Midrange Accountants is a favorite interview segment containing one of Frank's cynical and on-the-mark statements about the record industry. The background music is lovely, though; I wonder if there's more of it, or if this little chunk was the complete experiment. <br><br>Wild Love doesn't sound all that surround-y to me. It sounds like the stereo image is placed in between the front and back speakers, with lots of artificial ambience thrown in. Otherwise, it sounds about the same as on <br>Sheik Yerbouti. Probably my least favorite track here. <br><br>Ship Ahoy is great, with very nice surround ambience, and I thought I detected an extra bar or two toward the end of the solo, but maybe not. I haven't compared it to the Shut Up 'n Play version. <br><br>Chunga Basement is, for me, the crux of the biscuit. This might have been a rehearsal, but it sounds like a complete first take of one of the great FZ instrumentals, with what is essentially the Hot Rats band, sans overdubs. Frank takes a more laid-back approach on his solos than on the previously released version, hitting the fuzz effect only toward the end of the track. <br>It's great also to hear Ian Underwood on keys again in a Zappa context. The quad effect is an extra added bonus: placing you right in the studio, surrounded by the interplay of these great musicians. Makes me wonder: is there a quad version of Bognor Regis lurking somewhere in the Vault? <br><br>Venusian Time Bandits, all too brief, sounds like a heavily processed version of a live jam segment. Wild and weird, too bad it ends so soon. <br><br>Waka/Jawaka sounds like the same take as on the original release, but it's at least two minutes longer, primarily due to an extended FZ solo and another Don Preston Moog outing toward the end. Here Don's Moog sounds a bit like some of the Walter/Wendy Carlos stuff on the Clockwork Orange soundtrack, which is not a complaint. The surround effect is very well balanced, and even in its longer form, the track seems to end too soon. <br><br>Basement Music #2 continues in the vein of #1 on the Lost Episodes--interesting, but clearly limited by the technology Frank was using at the time. Still, an enjoyable short piece. <br><br>All in all, this is a great collection that Dweezil and Joe have put together. I would have appreciated more than 51 minutes, maybe some more of the FZ/Shankar interplay from Halloween '78, but this is still a great <br>package, showing Frank as always way ahead of his time. The quad/surround effects are mostly excellent, but they wouldn't be worthwhile at all if it weren't for the tremendous musicality of the selections. Great choices, <br>guys. <br><br>As fo' the futchum: We know Frank released Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe in quad, and there's been some speculation that he prepared but never released a quad version of One Size Fits All. Whatever still lurks in the Vault, I hope we're in for some more cool surprises. <br><br>And by the way, regarding the extra features here: What's that picture lurking down there on the last page of Zappa album covers, in between Halloween and QuAUDIO? Petit Wazoo, perhaps? <br><br>--Stan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:59 am 

I believe the ZFT is planning to release Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation in the very near future.  See the recent Sound on Sound article.  I'm assuming these will be Quad DVD-As.<br><br>I'm not too excited about this, but what the hell, I'll get it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:30 am 

[quote author=unica link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=0#7 date=09/20/04 at 02:28:49][color=Red]<br>And by the way, regarding the extra features here: What's that picture lurking down there on the last page of Zappa album covers, in between Halloween and QuAUDIO? Petit Wazoo, perhaps?  [/quote]<br><br>I got this e-mail from Joe Travers a while ago that explains everything: <br> <br>Q: Whatever happened to the Petite Wazoo cd that was gonna be released in july? <br> <br>A: We decided that we needed to remix it. & add other material. So, we aregonna put it on hold for the moment, but there will be a wazoo surprise in Spt. Hang in there. Also, a DVD-Audio is coming extremely soon as well. <br> <br>You will have you FZ fix!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:56 am 

I must say although I have complained about this release I DO like it and the reasons for liking it are stated below. I will not go into specifics about the 5.1 'cause I am not listening to it on a 5.1 system.  I am however listening to it on a Kenwood Dolby Pro-Logic amp w/ surround sound so I do get some of the cool seperations here which are all very cool. So I am sure that the 5.1 is awesome. But I don't really care about that, I care about the MUSIC.<br>Rollo, Chunga Basement and Waka are my favs here and you'll read why.<br>This review will deal with the content of the music itself, not the WAY the surround sounds. My review will be based upon the fact that I am a FZ completist and also a live show collector since 1987 and my point of views come from being the fetishist that I am about HEARING FULL COMPLETE things. After all this is a compiliation but a good one based on what we got on it.<br><br>SONGS<br>Naval Aviation In Art: Same version as Lather. So no biggie. <br> <br>Lumpy Gravy: Cool cause for me it's only been heard on the tapes I have of Royce Hall shows. I like it.<br><br>Rollo: OK for me this is a real fucking treat. FZs guitar solo is a monster here and Terry plays like a Son-a-bitch!! Now my beef: this is a real teaser for me. This is great and I am happy to have it of course, BUT once again I would have rather had the complete Royce Hall shows.<br><br>Drooling Midrange Accountants: This is a waste. The interview is from a longer one that already have So it does me no good to hear it over the track. This should have been done with the music only. I too wonder if this was edited from a longer track. Once again this disappoints me.<br><br>Wild Love: WASTE!! Nothing differant or new here.  <br> <br>Ship Ahoy: Like unica said probably a couple of extra notes here or there so not much differant. It does sound really cool on the surround system tho. (oops, I wasn't supposed to say that!)<br> <br>Chunga Basement: Ah!! What a great find!! It's recorded in FZs basement and still sounds fucking amazing! It is a rehearsal so they are probably getting it ready to go to the studio to record it. The musicians are not the same as the LP and they are not playing the same things as they are on the LP Ian Underwood is on keys instead of sax here. At one point FZs solo goes into these really low notes and sound so damn good and nasty. FZ never really goes nuts here but what is here is awesome!! Love it and just wish for the rest of the tracks (as usual) if there are more.<br><br>Venusian Time Bandits: It's a very short edit of what sounds to me like a 1974 More Trouble Everyday solo. I will start checking to tapes to find what show this came from 'cause it's uncredited in the liner notes. The surround sound on this, as well as the stereo track are filled with so echo so it sounds weird. To much. Once again I am disappointed here for many reasons.<br><br>Waka/Jawaka: Aweome and sounds great. The mix is excellent and more like the original LP (the W/J CD is filled with digi-verb shit) but I can hear more stuff on this mix. It's a killer mix!! FZs solo is longer and there's a little more Don Preston Moog toward the end too.<br> <br>Basement Music #2: It's cool to hear this outside the BBSNX version but once again a no big deal track. Not much to say here.<br> <br>So....  I must say that I do like this release. Alot!! It does contain some cool stuff that we would have never had heard so that gets my thumbs up right there!!<br><br>But, and there's always a but 'cause I am a cynical mother fucker, all I wanna know is when will we have a complete type release?? The Joe's series seems like it will be a little more focused but doesn't have the same continuity as FZ: OZ did.<br><br>MORE FULL COMPLETE RELEASES PLEASE!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:20 am 

This version of Chunga is different; it's new; I want to kiss it always.<br><br>But I've gotta think that FZ wouldn't have released it until the bass player knew the chord changes--quad FZ-approved mix or not.  ;)<br><br>If FZ cut a fart and mixed it in quad, I'd buy it EVEN THO the bass player doesn't know the chords!   ;D<br><br>MORE PLEASE!<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:51 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=0#3 date=09/17/04 at 18:33:22]<br>Chunga is NOT NEW! It's a different arrangement only. Which is nice, but I'm always hoping for actual new stuff. Glad you like it tho....  :)[/quote]<br><br>CHUNGA BASEMENT is a NEW song with a NEW title, otherwise they would have called it CHUNGA'S REVENGE! :o

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:00 am 

Another item touched on in the new Ice Magazine - # 211 October 2004 page 4<br><br> "One of the most interseting tracks we've called "Chunga's Basement," he continues "It's a full surround recording of an early version of "Chunga's Revenge" (1970) recorded in the basement of the family's Hollywood Hills residence.  There's no mixing, the fades are at the same level; what you hear is just what happened in the room at the time.  The amazing thing is that he was doing this in 1970, well before anybody could ever play it back in that format".<br><br><br> Hey I guess yer' both right it's an early version - so it's supposed to be the same but it isn't...don't know mine is STILL in the mail.<br><br><br> I think the year is 1969 not 1970...but it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:19 am 

[quote author=Bobby link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=0#14 date=09/21/04 at 04:00:42]<br> I think the year is 1969 not 1970...but it doesn't really matter.[/quote]<br><br>the liners have a pic of the actual tape.<br>the date really is:<br>3-1-70<br><br>Bad Johnny.  Don't be fucking with our copyrights.  At least ask and get a real answer.  And anyway, you missed the point.  -gz, ZFT <br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:00 am 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=15#17 date=09/21/04 at 06:51:11]I am surprised at the positive review I must say. Curiously Jay, because believe it or not I Respect your opinion, what is your take on the new Joe's Domage album?[/quote]<br><br>Well... judging by what appears to be on it... a Grand Wazoo rehearsal, it's probably fucking awesome!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:18 am 

I have a question. I'm not a DVD-man or DVD-A-man, i have just couple of both format. I noticed that on dvd-a there isn't a warning (you know : blah,blah, prohibited by the law etc.) on my two dvd-a. On the contrary, with dvd (like movie or movie music) there is a fuckin warning. Is that normal ? :o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:48 am 

Image<br>Thank you  :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:20 am 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=15#23 date=10/01/04 at 05:05:50]<br><br>I help you by answering your question and you fuck with me? As a matter of fact I have defended you in the past to other forum members. Don't blame me because you don't own the whole FZ catalog, and certainly don't blame me for getting in to Zappa before you did.<br>PHA-Q "translate that bitch"[/quote]<br>No i'm sincere, im not ironic. I believed that it will be nice to post that, just thank you to answer to my question.I thought it was nice. I'm a bitch, maybe. But i sincere when i thank you. Smiley's aren't ironic here. And i when i do a drawing it's really for the peace, not to blame someone. It's to precious for me... If i did a mistake, excuse me, it wasn't the first gesture.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:52 am 

Finally got this one in my hot little hand<br>I think the sound is rather good, even if I can only play the stereo version right now. <br>The highlight for me is definitely <br>Chunga's Basement<br><br>The award for biggest cock tease goes to Rollo.<br>What a great song, what a great version <br>Where's the rest of the show???<br><br>I am most happy with this one, but I lust after more, what can I say, never enough FZ.