Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:07 pm 

What is the best way to listen Q . Is it the DVD-A the best mixes and best sound  or the DTS track mixes ? Does someone compare both mixes ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:30 pm 

[quote author=french_fan link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=15#26 date=10/02/04 at 01:07:34]What is the best way to listen Q ? [/quote]<br>The best way to listen to Quad is yours, indeed. Quadf has one option -> you can listen to it with stereo. 6.X gigabyte, it isn't a bad album, i think.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:49 pm 

[quote author=french_fan link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=15#26 date=10/02/04 at 01:07:34]DTS track mixes ? Does someone compare both mixes ? [/quote]<br>You talk about DTS... Do you want to know what is the difference between DTS and suround 5.1 or 6.1 or 8.x (from dolby)? It's maybe my first answer.  Vas tu voter pour la constitution Européenne, parce qu'il le faut sinon nous sommes morts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:36 pm 

Vesuvian Time Bandits is from:<br>October 1, 1974 - Show #1<br>Basel, Switzerland<br><br> ;D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:34 pm 

I know the difference between DTS and DD.<br>I want to be sure that both mixes are the same (it seems to me that I can play DTS on 6.0 and DVD-A on 5.0 mode).Vive l'Europe bien sur (pour pouvoir contrer Bush !)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:37 am 

Many thanks for the reply Nanook  :-*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:23 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=15#16 date=09/21/04 at 06:19:56]<br><br>the liners have a pic of the actual tape.<br>the date really is:<br>3-1-70<br><br>Bad Johnny.  Don't be fucking with our copyrights.  At least ask and get a real answer.  And anyway, you missed the point.  -gz, ZFT <br>[/quote]<br><br>Gail...<br>     I don't mind that you edit posts to give proper answers to wrong stuff but what is the problem with this??<br>I was only letting people know that the liner notes included a picture of the actuall tape that Chunga Basement came from. How is that "fucking with copyrights"??<br>Please explain better.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:52 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=30#36 date=10/15/04 at 06:37:04]<br>Did I say Rollo and Chunga are fantastic?[/quote]<br>You problably did good, i guess.  We should must also Thank Keith for his Navigation... Yo 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:16 am 

HERE (click) is AMG's review.

Post subject: re: q review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:05 pm 

this album blows me away after 1 spin<br><br>any way to drop the vocals on easter hay...frank's voice over is cool enough, but after 2 listens, i really wanna put it on loop & lie back for 20 or 30 minutes with just the instrumental; this track reminds me of a track off hornets wings: story of electricity maybe<br><br>chunga is flat out stone-cold audio utopia & dweeze was spot-on; rollo is fucking bitchen<br><br>haven't even made it past chunga yet  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:00 am 

[font=arial]"Chunga's Basement" is the fuckin' bomb on this release (followed closely by "Rollo") IMHO. The bassline in the beginning section of the song not the full mesmeric 8 note riff repeated over & over (one of my favourite FZ basslines in fact) but a 5 note / 8 note riff. We don't get the repeated 8 note "Chunga's" bassline riff we all know 'til late on in the song. I wondered if this was the first time that it changed from the 5 & 8 note to repeated 8 note bassline? Was this a mistake by Max Bennett and FZ just gave him a nod to repeat it or a conscious part of the song where the bassline changed? Anyway, this is a fuckin' jewel. More of this stuff please !![/font]<br><br>[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=15#29 date=10/02/04 at 16:36:40]Vesuvian Time Bandits is from:<br>October 1, 1974 - Show #1<br>Basel, Switzerland<br><br> ;D[/quote]<br><br>[font=arial]Fuckin' hell JP you must have the volcanic version....[/font]<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:31 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=0#5 date=09/19/04 at 14:57:17]<br><br><br>For once Johnny-Future-Rock-Drummer-to-the-Stars is on target. -gz<br><br>p.s. QuAUDIOPHILIAc represents the intention of both producers - it was created for the multi-channel audiophile, starting with FZ.<br>[/quote]Dear Admin,<br>      You wrote that Quaudiophiliac has made by two major producers, Dweezil Zappa And Frank Zappa. This both producers have work to purpose an entertaiment, a document, a musical recording, where they invest a real technical innovation. DZ has accepted the Surround Pioneer Award on behalf of his maestro father, in December 15 2003. We should understand, could understand, this successfull result asks deference to the complete architecture achevied. On looking at information that i read, I decided to stop my listenning of Quaudiophiliac album. In fact, I'm not able to listen honorably this album because I haven't a five way hifi-system, for many reasons that you don't time to know. I just want to say listeners who have the qualified material to listen to this album might to mind that there are devoted fans that they haven't the possibility to appreciate a piece of thier dream. Have a good listenning and take care.<br>Sincerely,<br>Nico.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:13 pm 

[quote author=nico link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=30#42 date=11/02/04 at 16:31:36]<br>Dear Admin,<br><br>....I decided to stop my listenning of Quaudiophiliac album. In fact, I'm not able to listen honorably this album...[/quote]<br>you've lost it, bro, but yea, this album will probably be the one to induce me into dropping some cash on a new sound system[hr]<br><br>[quote author=bbsnx link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=30#41 date=11/02/04 at 07:00:27][font=arial]"Chunga's Basement" is the fuckin' bomb on this release (followed closely by "Rollo") IMHO. The bassline in the beginning section of the song not the full mesmeric 8 note riff repeated over & over (one of my favourite FZ basslines in fact) but a 5 note / 8 note riff. We don't get the repeated 8 note "Chunga's" bassline riff we all know 'til late on in the song. I wondered if this was the first time that it changed from the 5 & 8 note to repeated 8 note bassline? Was this a mistake by Max Bennett and FZ just gave him a nod to repeat it or a conscious part of the song where the bassline changed? Anyway, this is a fuckin' jewel. More of this stuff please[/font]....[/quote]<br>couldn't agree more, those are my 2 favs so far, part of it is the understated quality of the chunga bass line, the trancelike, dreamy, otherworldly light touch on the keyboards; the solo is fucking stellar, starts off slow, build a bit, then calms down again, just rolls along<br><br>hard to say whether bennet intentionally plays the 5/8 pattern, but he starts drifting back to the 8/8 towards the end of frank's solo; takes him a few bars to get there, so i'd guess he just worked it out himself, & frank liked this take enough to keep it rather than  going back & starting with 8/8 from the start of the track<br><br><br>haven't had a fz track make as much of an impression on me in years; lean, mean & clean  <br><br>Image  ya did good dweez !![hr]<br>[quote author=bbsnx link=board=albums;num=1095462725;start=30#41 date=11/02/04 at 07:00:27][font=arial]"Chunga's Basement" is the fuckin' bomb ....[/font][/quote]<br>btw, that's chunga basement, you can see on the photo of the tape box it says chunga basement jam; box also list peaches, tears & shove it from the pauley show, likely also quad mixes