Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:18 am 

Domage fuckin' rules!!<br>You assholes who are bitching about the sound quality need to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!<br><br>Full Review coming later...........<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:02 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=albums;num=1095494732;start=165#179 date=10/18/04 at 10:47:04]<br><br>Why is it ludicrious? It makes sense to me. the rehearsals I have just sit and collect dust. Every now and then I bring them out for a change. I'm not disappointed in Joe's Domage, but I also would of liked to have known the contents before hand. Even if I was going to buy it. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Well maybe it isn't ludicrous, perhaps we should have them disclaimer everything.<br>That way we can pick and choose what to buy based on categorical information.<br>More Labels! <br>I stand corrected.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm 

i am reminded of the old saying "there's a sucker born every minute"<br>the zappa trust could learn a thing or two by checking out the king crimson collectors club (among other artist run sites) regarding the release of archival material

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:57 am 

It's already been anounced, they are gonna have a membership type thing just like the CRIMSON site.<br>  I payed 100 bucks a year last time I payed at the Crim site. I've heard it will be the same here.<br>  It was also explained this material couldn't come out for several years after signing with RYKO because of legal reasons.<br>  That time now has passed and ZFT is gearing up to explode!!!!<br><br>can you hear it??<br>I can!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:14 am 

listening to the JOE'S DOMAGE rehearsal again.<br> <br><br> <br>the sound is not terrible at all.<br>there are many<br>parts of this recording that are so fucking cool!<br> <br>parts that weren't quite worked out to their grand extent, but they have that special spiffy feel....arrangements that are there, but are layed down and fall together differently....<br> <br>kinda the way the very early  guitar solo of Watermelon lays over the rythm, but the notes fall in different spots...ya know?<br> <br>the same thing applies here with rythm and guitar parts, they are all the same notes but, at times, fall together differently.<br>wonderful to hear!!!<br><br>a diamond in the rough<br><br>Keep 'em coming JOE!!!!<br> <br>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:54 am 

*smile*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:49 am 

regarding the crimson site and what the ZFT could learn...<br> the crimson site realized that they had reached a maximum number of subscribers, and that it wasn't enough to cover the work and cost involved in releasing archival material (27 releases so far). these are now offered on the web site as regular sale items. <br> the thing i like about the crimson site, and would like to see the ZFT do, is that they provide fairly detailed descriptions of the product offered, sound samples, reasonable prices, and very reasonable postage rates. i usually have my order in 7 days from the time i place my order. these are sent from L.A. to Ottawa ON Canada, so the postal system is not a problem.<br> i have been a Zappa fan since i was 13 (i'm now 49) and so far, none of the releases have really grabbed me. i remain hopeful, though, that some real gems will be released, and that ordering them will be hassle free.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:57 am 

Just listened to most of JD on the way to work. I think it is fantastic. Amongst other things , the recording demonstrates the level of perfectionism with which FZ worked. Also, if he had not intended anyone to hear it, why would he have taped it?<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:26 am 

[quote author=UNICA link=board=albums;num=1095494732;start=180#188 date=10/25/04 at 07:16:00]<br><br>It's a rehearsal tape...rehearsal tapes are there for the musicians...FZ was the musician who wrote the music....but if you listen to this tape you can hear that not everything is in the right place yet....FZ could listen to this tape and work out  his compositions some more...If Beethoven had the chance to do it this way he certainly  would...There exist many rehearsal tapes of FZ...he could use them to have perfect bands!!![/quote]<br>Right, I agree. That was it's original purpose and the intended use, but there is still many great moments that were caught on the tape, even if they aren't perfect, by any objective standard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:40 pm 

I got mine today. For what it is, I like it a lot. <br><br>Sound quality is decent but Frank was not by a mic and his voice is distant at times. Not a big deal really. You can make out all the important parts. The sound quality of the music is better than your average bootleg. Probably B at best. <br><br>The material itself is interesting -- it's mostly Frank working with the band on some of the tricker bits. On most tracks, the band does not get too deep into any given track. The only performence on the disk semi-complete is Think it Over. This is a bit disapointing but I am sure we will be getting more releases from this era. <br><br>Bottom line:<br>This is CD2 of the Grand Wazoo Deluxe Collectors Edition that never was. I've been listening to it back to back with GW and WJ and it's a very enjoyable disk in that context.<br><br><br><br>I really hope the ZFT will hear our pleas and release more material from this era. From hearing some of the bootlegs,  I know the band was not perfect every performence but most people buying these disks are OK with that. We're fans, warts and all. This is, by far, the most interesting and under documented part of Frank's huge catalog. It would be a shame if we didn't get at least a couple live shows. <br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:40 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=albums;num=1095494732;start=180#191 date=10/26/04 at 13:52:05]<br>Do I wish the sound were even half way decent? Hell yes, and anyone who thinks this is good sounding needs to clean the tics out of their ears with an ice pick. But it is an open mic sort of rehearsal affair, correct?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I've heard (and enjoyed) far worse recordings than this.  I think if you listen to enough bootlegs you develop an ability to filter out the ugly sound. Outside of GW and WJ, this is by far the best sounding recording of this band out there.  

Post subject: re: joe's d
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:38 pm 

finally gave it a spin & was pleasantly surprised, first thing that jumped out was one shot deal, it was my lowest ranking track on w/j; the dissection of this tune over 20 minutes gave me a new set of ears to go back & listen to waka, now this track gets more respect than i gave it all these years...plus it's not on any show in circulation [btw, on waka/one shot deal, who does these vocals: [font=courier new]and if a forest grows up/from the dirt on the floor[/font]... they always sounded like some russian dude tryin to speak english]<br><br>the grand wazoo tracks are cool, early versions are always interesting but what makes this album is blessed fucking relief, fav track of one of my fav albums of all time, never released on any other album, not on any circulating show<br><br>sound quality ranks up with the best of the wazoo band boots: sad, but hey, the price is right<br><br>liner notes need work, what can i say <br><br>Image

Post subject: re: joe's d
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:27 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=albums;num=1095494732;start=195#195 date=10/29/04 at 13:48:01]...he's teaching them the songs by telling each player what to do, rather than simply presenting them with charts. He says they'll record after it's become really natural sounding...[/quote]<br>maybe he didn't wanna pay for studio time while they got up to speed & learned the charts ¿ <br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:28 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=albums;num=1091028287;start=0#9 date=07/28/04 at 16:36:06]Of all the Zappa stuff that I could get my hands on, rehearsal recordings are the things that I'm most interested in. Real-time miniature documentaries of "The birthing process." I had no idea that this stuff was out there, especially in these quantities. I knew they HAD to exist. <br><br>Feeling....depressed...now.<br>Feeling....big....unfulfilled....hole....in my life.<br>Must...get....copies.<br>But...How? Where?<br>Image<br>AHHHHHHHHHH![/quote]<br><br>One of my prayers was answered!<br>I LOVE THIS CD!!!!!!!!<br>I just finished listening to it. It arrived yesterday, so I set some time aside for the first listen to be first thing this morning while my mind was fresh and uncluttered. The insights I gained from this CD are priceless. This is not just another rehearsal tape; this is really special. I might type up "why" some other time.<br><br>Thanks for this CD, Vaulternative. (BTW, It arrived in less than 2 weeks after I placed my order. Nice.) I would love more stuff like this. Again, for me, this is priceless and I love it. Great pick, Joe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:06 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1095494732;start=195#201 date=11/06/04 at 05:44:55]<br><br>Then if you do get it just use your ears and play. Once you've got it right think about what Frank's saying and notice where your fingers are going in relation to what he's saying.<br><br>--Bat[/quote] even the special treat of FZ speaking the notes to the players!!<br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next