Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: heaviest guitar solo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:08 pm 

[quote author=beatlenut13 link=board=albums;num=1100500148;start=0#0 date=11/14/04 at 22:29:08]im not talking heavy like watermelon in easter hay heavy, im talking heavy like "Hog Heaven", "Muffin man solo", etc.  You know, the balls out kind.<br><br>My picks:<br><br>That ol G minor thing again / Variations on the secret carlos santana chord progression<br>Hog Heaven<br>Jim And Tammy's Upper Room<br>Muffin Man (Solo)<br><br>Now that you get the idea, add on ur own.  The best ones ill try to forward to gail to get a "Zappametal" album[/quote]<br>good luck  ::)

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:21 am 

[quote author=beatlenut13 link=board=albums;num=1100500148;start=0#2 date=11/15/04 at 03:07:35]ummm, some suggestions would be nice  "Good luck" isnt a guitar solo.[/quote]<br>i meant good luck with asking gail about a zappa metal album  numbnut, it's a fucking stupid idea that will poo pooed by the hierarchy, go practise your sarcasm skills on someone else

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:07 am 

I think Rat Tomago is a very heavy solo.....love it  8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:46 am 

I also think that Willie The Pimp pt2 (..the bit you never play because its to much hassell getting your vynyl copy of TMFE june1971) is really "heavy" as well.<br><br>I wonder if the time will ever come when Willie the Pimp pts 1 & 2 will ever be edited together ???<br><br>Why the fuck is it chopped in two on the TMFE- June1971 vynyl version and why is pt2 totally excluded from the Ryko release ??? <br><br>Any way back to WTP pt2.... I love the chainsaw fuzz frenzy in this section..I urge anybody with the vynyl version to play it now!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:42 am 

I was gonna say Hog Heaven, but that obscenely heavy solo has already been listed.<br><br>1.  Soup and Old Clothes (same tour/axe).<br>2.  50-50; especially the first note, but it's pretty nasty after that too.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:31 pm 

Well being a newbie round here, I think the whole of the guitar lp is just amazing and look forwardto getting the 3cd set S.U.A.P.Y.G..<br><br>Funnily enough, just listening to the solo on Rubber Shirt when I came across this thread, or was it The Sheik Yerbouti Tango ? Amazing stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:06 am 

a collection of 'known solos' would be....well, things we've heard already ( I third HOG HEAVEN )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:22 pm 

How 'bout the guitar vamp-duet with Vai on Stevie's Spanking? YCDTOSA 4<br><br>While I am thinking about that, Dweezil and Frank on Sharleena YCDTOSA 3<br><br>These don't quite fit the category but WTF they're both sort of unassuming rock n roll guitar fun , and the two guitars "soloing" together are especially easy on the ears...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:15 pm 

Them Or Us

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:24 pm 

I'm late... : stuff up the cracks is my intimate::)favorite solo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:48 am 

He cut his hair (or rather, had Gail cut it) in 1979 shortly before Diva was born because he was tired of putting it back in rubber bands and it falling in his face. he did look good with it shortish around '82-'83  :) Why is it long again on Them Or Us? Because he wanted to! maybe he got tired of getting it cut all the time. but then again, he cut it around '85...so he changed his mind like we all do from time to time! ;D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:02 am 

My  favourite heavy FZ guitarsolo goes back to 1982. When the 1982 tour was over I received lots of concert tapes of that tour but one in particular became my favourite, the may 21 1982 Cologne concert. During the tour FZ was ill and not everything went smoothly, people kept on throwing things on stage and FZ was most of the time sitting with his back to the audience (in Rotterdam he totally ignored the audience and stopped the concert when a girl threw flowers on the stage).<br>The solo I am reffering to is the Zoot Allures solo on the GUITAR album called "When No One Was No One"  When i heard that on that tape I could not figure out what was happening during the Zoot Allures solo, it must have stunned the german audience. It starts really calm but ends in total chaos. From 3 min. 50 on it gets raw and outrageous. Fz used this repetition device a lot in the 1982 tour (also in the 1984 tour) but what happens at that moment kept me listening again and again . When it finally was released in the wonderful GUITAR box it almost sounded too clean. On the tape it sounds like it filled the whole concerthall and it is almost frightening like some sort of monster attacking the hall. "But Who Was Fulcanelli?" was from the same concert<br><br><br>ROTTERDAM may 15 1982<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:49 am 

Where does one start?<br><br>Now you see it ...Now you dont<br>Fire and Chains<br>Heavy Duty Judy<br>Them or us(not the live one. The track that appeared on the vinyl Lp. Just Frank, Chad and Scott on minimoog)<br>Easymeat(from TTR)<br>Yo Mama<br>Rat Tomago<br>Dirty Habits ... ad naseum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:28 am 

I think we did this before<br>And I think I went with <br>Rat Tomago<br>And I think I will go that way again.  ;D<br><br>But I am also pretty partial to Heavy Duty Judy<br>