Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: heaviest guitar solo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:59 am 

[quote author=UNICA link=board=albums;num=1100500148;start=15#22 date=11/18/04 at 04:02:20]My  favourite heavy FZ guitarsolo goes back to 1982. When the 1982 tour was over I received lots of concert tapes of that tour but one in particular became my favourite, the may 21 1982 Cologne concert. During the tour FZ was ill and not everything went smoothly, people kept on throwing things on stage and FZ was most of the time sitting with his back to the audience (in Rotterdam he totally ignored the audience and stopped the concert when a girl threw flowers on the stage).<br>The solo I am reffering to is the Zoot Allures solo on the GUITAR album called "When No One Was No One"  When i heard that on that tape I could not figure out what was happening during the Zoot Allures solo, it must have stunned the german audience. It starts really calm but ends in total chaos. From 3 min. 50 on it gets raw and outrageous. Fz used this repetition device a lot in the 1982 tour (also in the 1984 tour) but what happens at that moment kept me listening again and again . When it finally was released in the wonderful GUITAR box it almost sounded too clean. On the tape it sounds like it filled the whole concerthall and it is almost frightening like some sort of monster attacking the hall. "But Who Was Fulcanelli?" was from the same concert[/quote]<br><br>The Black Page #2 solo from this show also very angry and one of Frank's ugliest solos ever. Absolutely beautiful shit!!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:16 am 

[quote author=beatlenut13 link=board=albums;num=1100500148;start=15#25 date=11/20/04 at 23:26:59]how abt the TTNS solo from YCDTOSA #1, its a monster version of it, and the solo from 5:20 to 13:00 just builds in nastiness[/quote]<br><br>I could not agree with you more. He really builds up on that one, you and feel the anger coming through. I love this solo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:35 pm 

At the moment,  I have Sheik Yerbouti loaded.<br>My favorite section on that is the last side with Wild<br>Love and  Yo´Mama. Heavy guitars there...<br><br>And of course Rat Tomago when you already have SY<br>taken out from the shelf.<br><br>But, then again. It´s almost impossible to choose ONE solo <br>among all FZ´s records.<br><br>For me, my choice was just "The Flavour of The Day".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:20 pm 

I can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to mention the solo in Sinister Footwear from Them or Us. Man...that one never fails to stand up the hairs on the back of my neck! <br><br>Gotta love all the sick polyrhythmic stuff going on before and after the solo too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:30 am 

You mentioned:<br>1. the ole G minor, Santana chord progression<br>2. Hog Heaven<br>Where can I find these? anything on DVD?<br><br>I just rented the Baby Snakes DVD, and the Camarillo Brillo/ Muffin Man solo is powerful, can't stop watching it!So that's my vote until I hear more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:32 am 

The beginning of "Transylvania Boogie" (the Chunga's Revenge version) is really heavy. The rest of the band is really tight, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:54 am 

If it isn't 'Muffin Man', it must something from the album 'Guitar'<br><br>Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:30 pm 

nobody mentioned black napkins yet has to be in my top ten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:03 pm 

I'm listening to Halloween right now, FZs solo during Stink-Foot has an incredible sound