Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:15 am 

[quote author=Homsar link=board=albums;num=1058887611;start=0#13 date=07/22/03 at 22:35:22]<br><br><br>Do AIFFs sound any better ? Besides, songs in any format get converted to AIFF when you burn them to Audio CD instead of MP3 CD.[/quote]<br><br>AIFF files are essentially the same thing as WAV files. It's just that AIFFs are native to the Mac, while WAVs are native to the PC. Both are uncompressed and can be used for the source files for a burned CD.<br><br>MTF's points about MP3s and WAVs are all perfectly valid. He knows what he's talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:04 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1058887611;start=15#27 date=11/18/04 at 07:15:25] <br><br>AIFF files are essentially the same thing as WAV files. It's just that AIFFs are native to the Mac, while WAVs are native to the PC. Both are uncompressed and can be used for the source files for a burned CD.<br><br>MTF's points about MP3s and WAVs are all perfectly valid. He knows what he's talking about.[/quote]Are you sure about what you said ? They are uncompressed, ok, but after there is surely a difference, I bet. The first primaly difference that I seen, nothing about the coding source format, it's the sound card. On my sick PC, my sound wasn't terrific...(crystal something or ESound)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:12 am 

[quote author=nico link=board=albums;num=1058887611;start=15#28 date=11/18/04 at 08:04:50]<br>Are you sure about what you said ? They are uncompressed, ok, but after there is surely a difference, I bet. The first primaly difference that I seen, nothing about the coding source format, it's the sound card. On my sick PC, my sound wasn't terrific...(crystal something or ESound)[/quote]<br><br>Yes, they are the same thing. They are both uncrompressed audio recorded in a digital format. The sound card will make a difference for the quality of playback on a PC, but a CD burned from wave files on a PC will sound as good or bad as a CD burned from aiff files on a Mac.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:16 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1058887611;start=15#29 date=11/18/04 at 08:12:41]<br><br>Yes, they are the same thing. They are both uncrompressed audio recorded in a digital format. The sound card will make a difference for the quality of playback on a PC, but a CD burned from wave files on a PC will sound as good or bad as a CD burned from aiff files on a Mac.<br>[/quote]Thank you for the tips

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:21 am 

This all seems so vaguely familiar<br>I can't seem to get rid of this deja vu feeling  ::)