Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:14 am 

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS ALBUM?<br>I CONFESS THAT`S MY FAVORITE INTERPRETATION OF ZAPPA<br>WORK WITHOUT A BIG ORCHESTRA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:26 am 

Yeah, I really like this album, especially the instrumental version of 'Idiot Bastard Son' and Ponty's rendition of 'Twenty Small Cigars'.<br><br>Is this still in print? I have it on an old tape but I can't find it on cd in any record store here. Any other Ponty albums worth buying? I already have "Upon the Wings of Music", that one's a nice jazz-fusion record with excellent Rhodes and Clavinet playing by Patrice Rushen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:45 am 

Yeah, it's at alldirect.com, I believe, for like $7.99 with tons of other cheap Zappa CDs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:54 am 

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, MAN.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:37 pm 

yeah i thought it was pretty cool but i always find that jean luc's playing is a bit too clean for my liking. almost like elavator music.

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enfroced

my msn messanger email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:19 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Konfused link=board=albums;num=1033413293;start=0#7 date=08/02/03 at 11:22:36]...All versions are killer....[/quote]<br>out of all the zappa cover tracks by anyone/anytime on any album, idiot bastard son on this album is the only one i'd rate as good or better than the fz original, & i love the original version including frank's vocals  <br>:o [tt](ok, shoot me)[/tt]...<br><br>ponty's sleazy violin solo, with the sad, sad :'( tonality & slidey phrasings couldn't be more spot-on appropriate for the melody if you already know the lyrics; fucking brilliant.....ponty went downhill after this album i.m.o. <br><br><br><br>[quote author=jimmie d link=board=albums;num=1033413293;start=0#8 date=08/02/03 at 11:36:41][center]...It's also notable that it's a wah-wah pedal driven guitar solo.[/center][/quote]<br>jimmie or anyone else, i'm not getting it; why notable?<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:30 am 

[quote author=Mr. Konfused link=board=albums;num=1033413293;start=0#10 date=08/03/03 at 09:53:25]...These are not cover tracks, these are probably how fz truly intended the compositions, they ARE originals because FZ was totally involved 100% for this album was the FIRST to suggest the whole project. <br><br>....You may not like Ponty's violin but he's a sick player, original and a virtuoso!!!!! This is a killer jazz album, imo .  ;D[/quote]<br><br>no agrument here...they're not really covers, ponty is a virtuoso & it's the album is killer; but i.m.o. he's like holdsworth to my ears....not enough variety, most songs sound similar, but both are masters of their instruments...if ponty's  threw a few collaborations onto his solo albums, i could relate better<br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:35 am 

Listen to "cosmic messenger" for some variety it's fookan brilliant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:39 am 

[quote author=Mr. Konfused link=board=albums;num=1033413293;start=0#13 date=08/03/03 at 13:12:28]...first time FZ worked with George Duke who is also amazing. Additionally, what do you think of FZ and Ponty's duet on the 3rd installment of the SUNPYG series? Pretty sick, if you asked me.<br><br>I'm not going to even talk about Holdsworth, he's a different topic entirely, that most people write off without truly understanding what's going on there.[/quote]<br><br>never knew this was frank's 1[sup]st[/sup] intro to george duke, i agree duke is an outstanding talent, equally at ease with rock bands, funksters, or staight ahead jazz improvs; i think he took the edge off some of the intenseness (to his credit) of the zappa bands he participated in ....<br><br>canard du jour is a great track, kinda stravinsky-esque, i liked the ponty/stephan grapelli collaboration, but starting with aura (aurora?); same ole/same ole stuff <br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:49 pm 

If you like "JLP plays FZ" you should like Jean-Luc Ponty Experience with the George Duke Trio - Live at The Thee Experience, september 69.<br><br>Jean-Luc Ponty: electric violin<br>George Duke: electric piano<br>John Heard: bass<br>Dick Beard: drums<br><br>side 1: Foosh - Pamukkale<br>side 2: Contact - Cantaloupe Island - Starlight, Starbright<br><br>this is the LP edition<br>Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:58 pm 

I have also Live at Donte's but I prefer Thee Experience because George plays electric piano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:26 pm 

Pete Senoff: "The set closed with a jam, with Frank Zappa on guitar. It was avant-garde, to say the least."<br><br>I wrote to Jean-Luc about this jam at Thee Experience... unfortunately it was not the same day as the recording.  :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:48 am 

this cd is fucking awesome . <br>   if you like instrumental fz, go buy it right now .<br><br> its got duke and underwood on it too ...    

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:38 am 

15 dec 1970, Palais Gaumont, Paris<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:38 pm 

[quote author=Masked Frog link=board=albums;num=1033413293;start=15#17 date=08/12/03 at 10:38:31]15 dec 1970, Palais Gaumont, Paris<br>[/quote]<br><br>Great pic!!!<br>Besides, I have that audio recording and I know it is supposed to exist a B/W video of the final part of the show, the part with ponty's appearance, but I have never been able to find it.<br>Anybody knows something more about this?<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:08 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1033413293;start=0#8 date=08/03/03 at 00:19:15]<br>out of all the zappa cover tracks by anyone/anytime on any album, idiot bastard son on this album is the only one i'd rate as good or better than the fz original, & i love the original version including frank's vocals  <br>:o [tt](ok, shoot me)[/tt]...<br><br>ponty's sleazy violin solo, with the sad, sad :'( tonality & slidey phrasings couldn't be more spot-on appropriate for the melody if you already know the lyrics; fucking brilliant.....ponty went downhill after this album i.m.o. <br>[/quote]<br>I totally agree.  I love the WOIIFTM version, but I really enjoy hearing the beautiful melody of the song without the big dialog interruption in the middle of it.  Plus, as you mentioned, Ponty adds a really sad, meloncholy touch to it that I love.  You know what other version of the song is really good?  The one on Mothermania.  It's the same recording as the WOIIFTM version remixed (piano brought forward in the mix) and without the dialog section.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:20 am 

Yeah the Ponty album is great. Ive had it for a few years now, havent seen it for sale for a while though......