The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bohuslan Big Band
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:11 pm 

Anybody heard this one?  <br><br>Image

Post subject: Re: Bohuslan Big Band
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:55 pm 

I've got this. It's not bad, but my personal feeling is the same as with many other Zappa tributes (even the ones with his former band members); The instrumentals are ok, but the songs with vocal parts just don't work without Frank's presence...even though the lady who sings with Bohuslän Big Band, Mia Kempff has a great voice.<br><br>PS. The best FZ tribute album I've heard is the one from Ensemble Ambrosius, check it out !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:41 am 

Thanks, horrible_eye. What are the arrangements like? Are they different from say '88 FZ Band? The thing is, I am really not that much interested in listening to competently performed covers in the same arrangements (that's why I don't like Banned from Utopia stuff that much), I like the 'reinvention' approach - I also have Ensemble Ambrotius, and I enjoy it a lot (even though some performances are less successfull than others).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:53 am 

Well, the arrangements are maybe a bit more "jazzy", or traditional big band style, but I don't think there's anything that really could be called "reinvention".<br>I've actually listened to the CD only a couple of times, maybe I should check it again...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:09 am 

What's on the Bohuslan Big Band album and how can I get it?

Post subject: re: bohuslan big band
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:46 am 

[quote author=ronnys noomies link=board=albums;num=1045116679;start=0#7 date=01/10/05 at 09:45:32]... to render FZ songs using Baroque instruments, and essentially NO PERCUSSION. Some of it works well. Each song is a non-zappa arrangement, so those who like the rearrange-the-original approach should like it.<br>[center][img width=100 height=100]http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/390/395694.jpg[/img][/center][/quote]this is a good one to introduce zappa to the anti-zappa contingent...quite well done, good selections and very easy to listen to

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:39 am 

I'm not particularly happy with Mia Kempff's vocals on the Bohuslän CD. Other than that, it's an all right record. I like the EA CD much better.<br><br>This one is also good (better than Bohuslän I think):<br><br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:33 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1045116679;start=0#8 date=01/10/05 at 09:55:02]<br><br>Yes I have that one too. Couldn't suppress a laugh when I heard 'Idiot bastard son' in such a serious opera-like performance. But it's good. <br><br>I never heard of Bohuslan Big Band. <br>Here's the tracklist;<br>1. Zomby woof<br>2. Sinester footwear (movement 1)<br>3. Grand wazoo<br>4. St Alfonzo's pancake breakfast<br>5. Father Oblivian<br>6. Son of Orange County<br> 7. More trouble every day<br>8. Zoot allure<br>9. Find her finer<br>10. Sofa/RDNZL<br>11. Let's make the water turn black<br>12. Let me take you to the beach<br><br>and you can get it here<br>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005B1SV/wwwlink-software-21/202-8052529-5131864<br> [/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the info.<br><br>I like "Ensemble Ambrosius"<br>"Omnibus Wind Ensemble"<br>"Prophetic Attitude"<br>"When Worlds Collide"<br>"Ed Palermo Big Band"<br>"The Dangerous Kitchen" (I wish Zappa could hear that one.)<br>"Anxiety Of Influence"<br>and "Harmonia Meets Zappa".<br><br>I have a bunch of posthumous Zappa albums which I don't care for, including that Le Bocal "Oh No" thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:39 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1045116679;start=0#12 date=01/10/05 at 14:23:53]<br><br>Do you have The Persuasions, 'Frankly a Capella'? I like that one too.[/quote]<br><br>I've heard it. The choice of material doesn't interest me, so I haven't bought it.<br>