Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:04 pm 

i am leaving for college at the end of the summer and want all my zappa with me, but i refuse to bring original copies of cds so i am burning copies of all my zappa albums. this will take a long time. i'm thinking of adding bonus tracks to some albums, but i dont have much stuff of good enough recording quality, but, for example, bognor regis is going to be slapped on the end of my hot rats cd. is that a good idea? what other songs should i add to what cds?<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:03 pm 

[quote author=setfiretothecouch link=board=albums;num=1105934682;start=0#0 date=01/16/05 at 20:04:42]...i'm thinking of adding bonus tracks to some albums...[/quote]<br>bad idea, adding bonus tracks may compromise the intent of the composer blah blah blah....<br><br>but seriously, maybe bognor regis is appropriate for hot rats, but where do you stop...bonus tracks are great, but they usually alter the feel of the album like man from utopia, mothers of prevention & even ziny...the one that benefits most from frank's bonus tracks is guitar<br><br>keep the 'bonus tracks' on a separate disc:
  • the entire track live versions of all the tracks from guitar & shutup ::)
  • jabfla lost solos
  • the entire track live versions of rat tomago, st. ettienne & leather goods
  • lumpy gravy demos, absolutely free demos, thingfish demos, woiift$ demos
  • sheik yebouti rehersals
  • etc.etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:05 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1105934682;start=0#1 date=01/16/05 at 23:03:36]<br>bad idea, adding bonus tracks may compromise the intent of the composer blah blah blah....<br><br>but seriously, maybe bognor regis is appropriate for hot rats, but where do you stop...bonus tracks are great, but they usually alter the feel of the album like man from utopia, mothers of prevention & even ziny...the one that benefits most from frank's bonus tracks is guitar<br><br>keep the 'bonus tracks' on a separate disc:
  • the entire track live versions of all the tracks from guitar & shutup ::)
  • jabfla lost solos
  • the entire track live versions of rat tomago, st. ettienne & leather goods
  • lumpy gravy demos, absolutely free demos, thingfish demos, woiift$ demos
  • sheik yebouti rehersals
  • etc.etc.
[/quote]<br><br><br>you make a good point. good thing i didn't burn hot rats yet. are there enough high-quality-recording tracks out there for a good bonus cd? (i'll still buy the cds they are released on, provided they are released in the future! no worries there.)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:58 am 

[quote author=setfiretothecouch link=board=albums;num=1105934682;start=0#0 date=01/16/05 at 20:04:42]i am leaving for college at the end of the summer and want all my zappa with me, but i refuse to bring original copies of cds so i am burning copies of all my zappa albums. this will take a long time. i'm thinking of adding bonus tracks to some albums, but i dont have much stuff of good enough recording quality, but, for example, bognor regis is going to be slapped on the end of my hot rats cd. is that a good idea? what other songs should i add to what cds?<br>[/quote]<br>For $149 you can get a Seagate 120 gig external USB hard drive from Walmart. Think of the possibilities THAT opens....