Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bolero?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:43 am 

I just bought "The best band you never heard in your life" cd and I noticed that "Bolero" is not on there. Does anyone know what's wrong with my version? ???Please help me out!!

Post subject: Re: Bolero?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:58 am 

Well, you are entering the mess about the intellectual proprieties. The Ravel Family has refused to let this set to be pressed on a CD. Ravel is a very famous composer. I think if somebody plays the FZ's Black page on his concert and publish it without asking and dealing with the ZFT. The same thing will happend. And have in mind that Frank Zappa was a genius with sometimes a rage feeling. It's not easy to get it with Mr Frank Zappa, that's why his music is so complex at all level of production.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:03 am 

[quote author=Yumax link=board=albums;num=1106253789;start=0#0 date=01/20/05 at 12:43:09] what's wrong with my version?[/quote]your version isn't wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:03 am 

Ok!! Thank you very much.I think it's a shame... :'(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:16 am 

The issue is the difference between American and European copyright law. In the US copyright extends 50* years past the death of the artist, in Europe it's 70 years. It used to be 50 years in Europe too, but was changed to 70, which is why the first Euro versions of the Best Band had Bolero, but not later versions.<br><br>*There are moves in the US to extend copyright for 70 years or longer, in fact, it may already have happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:44 am 

There are actually seven different versions of the original CD, if you take the different covers and the whole "Bolero" thing into account. Check this page out:<br><br>http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/best_band.html<br><br>I have the American version with the blacked-out picture.<br><br>Image

Post subject: Re: bolero
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:37 am 

[quote author=Lumpy Gravy link=board=albums;num=1106253789;start=0#7 date=01/21/05 at 10:03:12][table][tr][td]Image Image[/td][td]I have these two. The old European one with the picture and Bolero. <br>And the Ryko release with the Cal Schenkel cover.[/td][/tr][/table]<br>[hr]<br>now, who's got all of them?[/quote]<br><br>I think his name might start with Jimmie and ends with D. Put an underline between them both and there he stands. ;)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:57 am 

I have the original European/Zappa Records cassette with the photo and Bolero, the new Euro CD with the Cal picture and no Belero, and the US CD with the Cal pic and Bolero.<br><br>Confused yet?  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:10 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1106253789;start=0#9 date=01/21/05 at 10:57:34]I have the original European/Zappa Records cassette with the photo and Bolero, the new Euro CD with the Cal picture and no Belero, and the US CD with the Cal pic and Bolero.<br><br>Confused yet?  ;D[/quote]I have the "original?" european version with the photo and Bolero, one cassette with the almost same sleeve (photo) and a one Japanese version with no Bolero but with the nice Cal draw... How could I be confused with this extended purchasing. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:36 pm 

i got the cal schenkel cd version plus the "stairway to heaven/bolero" maxi cd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:56 am 

liner notes from US print w/o picture & w Bolero (BPR D2 74233)<br><br>BOLERO<br>music: Maurice Ravel<br>publisher: public domain<br>album in which song first appeared: Premiere Recording<br>location: Rotterdam<br><br>[quote author=kay_vee link=board=albums;num=1106253789;start=0#13 date=01/21/05 at 16:36:52]i got the cal schenkel cd version plus the "stairway to heaven/bolero" maxi cd.[/quote]<br><br>Is the stuff on maxi cd the same as the Best Band versions or are they -as I presume to be- studio versions? I remember couple of years ago Rykodisc giving it away for $1 with any other purchase. I'm not sure where I can get it today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:52 am 

Anyone ever see the animated "video" set to Bolero...all these animals and creatures are gradually getting larger as they climb up a hill?<br><br>It's very Zappa-esque. <br><br>That piece is inspired by sex, yah? <br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:00 pm 

[quote author=cor_bovinum link=board=albums;num=1106253789;start=0#14 date=01/23/05 at 07:56:53]<br><br><br>Is the stuff on maxi cd the same as the Best Band versions or are they -as I presume to be- studio versions? I remember couple of years ago Rykodisc giving it away for $1 with any other purchase. I'm not sure where I can get it today.[/quote]<br><br>It's the same as the Best Band version.....not studio tracks<br><br>Only way to get these today would be second-hand shops.<br><br>Good Luck!