Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Future releases
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 am 

To all Zappa fans;
I don't know why I'm writing this but I will. I love Zappa and everything about him and his music. I have not been listening since 1968 because I was not born, nor a thought at that point, but that doesn't mean I'm not as big of a fan as someone who has been there from the beginning. At 31 years old, FZ's music has changed my life and I can't really listen to anything else because it just isn't as good. I went through every album and listened/studied to help my guitar playing, learn new ideas/concepts and enjoyed every second of it. Getting into Zappa has been the best decision I've made. There were always releases coming out from the Trust and new versions of FZ's songs to study.

Today, I feel differently. My excitement is gone. I still love FZs music. It's really all I currently listen to and probably always will, but being strung along about future releases has become old. I used to enjoy looking at the message boards daily to see the latest rumors or what album will be coming out next. Now I could care less. I will still buy the next album (whatever and whenever that may be) and enjoy it, but the thrill of the "next release" is over for me.

I truly feel there is still a market for FZs music but why it isn't made more available is disheartening. I understand the master tapes are old, falling apart, time consuming to master, etc... The Road Tapes series was some of the best music I've heard because of its rawness. Everyone understands FZ would not release something sounding as "bad" as the Road Tapes and it wouldn't be up to his standards, but FZ isn't here...FZ only exists in his music available to the ears of the world. FZ would be proud of Dweezil for what he has done to keep his music alive, I truly wish the Trust can do the same, in whatever format that may be.

This is not a hate message or any of the likes. The Trust has done a great job in the previous releases but what ever happened to all the fun in the world? I miss the excitement of releases and reading about what is to come. No more cryptic emails. Give us all something good and consistent. Maybe one day I'll get back to the point of reading the boards again and Idiot Bastard Son's news on a regular basis, until then... I'll wait patiently for the Barfko-Swill email to appear in my inbox... Whenever that may be.

Post subject: Re: Future releases
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:18 am 

I used to fill my days with nothing but Zappa - but you'll find that isnt going to happen - no matter how huge a fan you are. My advice - move on and discover more cool music (Mats/Morgan Band is a great place to start) - and come back when you want the fix - if there is a new release - so be it - if not - well... that happens.

Extremes are bad for you. haha. Cheers! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 am 

Well it is a lesson in patience, that's for sure. I think the vault is finally getting thin. Not much great stuff left. I hope I'm wrong. But we've been getting great stuff from the vault for over 20 years....

As for GZ's promises and release dates..... It does piss me off too.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:27 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
move on and discover more cool music

this.

there is plenty to go around, you just need to invest some time in the search.
luckily, the interwebs makes it easy.

what type of sounds interest you, darth?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 pm 

Image :P :mrgreen:

Yeah, like others have said: There's so much good music out there to discover, old and new. You shouldn't waste your time worrying about the lack of "new" FZ LPs/CDs. We'll get it when we get it. Meanwhile enjoy the almost 100 releases there are, & find something else besides Frank to listen to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:13 pm 

John Zorn is a pretty deep hole to fall into...
and so is Sun Ra...
try them...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:58 am 

You should absolutely check out Zorn's Electric Masada - At The Mountains Of Madness.

Killer!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:17 pm 

While you're waiting for the next Zappa release, why not start a side project and get into some of the music and musicians that inspired Zappa. Howlin' Wolf, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Varese, Stravinsky, Roland Kirk all have an incredibly high thrill factor. There's all kinds of great music out there. Don't short change yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 pm 

darthpeepee, are you out there?
you are getting some great advice/recommendations here.

please tell me you haven't abandon the tip cup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:22 am 

I'm all for exploring new artists, but The Vault isn't empty yet --

1975 09 17 - Royce Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
95 min, Aud, B

Frank Zappa and The Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Orchestra, conducted by Michael Zearott.

Bogus Pomp (world premiere), Revised Music For Low Budget Orchestra, Pedro's Dowry (world premiere), Rollo, Dog Meat, Naval Aviation In Art?, improvisations, Sink Trap, Duke Of Prunes, Strictly Genteel

1975 09 18 - Royce Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
120 min, Aud, B+

Frank Zappa and The Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Orchestra, conducted by Michael Zearott.

Bogus Pomp, Revised Music For Low Budget Symphony Orchestra, Pedro's Dowry, Rollo [parts on Q and OSD], Black Napkins, Dog Meat, Naval Aviation In Art?, Sink Trap [parts in Easy Meat, TTR, incl. Lumpy Gravy, Q and Hermitage, OSD], Duke Of Prunes, The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary, Strictly Genteel (q: Louie Louie)

Check out Black Napkins (orchestral 1975) at 21:56 --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGMZ6oQEvyQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 pm 

It's definitely not empty. Doesn't appear to be open either? :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm 

It is a damn shame though, 2015 tour starting in less than a week and probably no new FZ archival album at the merch table. :cry:
I hope I'm wrong and we get surprised with something like a new Road Tapes. That's the only thing I'd buy at a ZPZ show, besides DZ's new studio album. GTFO! with the overpriced shirts, chatchkees, and other things that you ought not to buy. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:36 pm 

I wouldn't buy that shit either, but there is an argument to be made that people buying that shit adds money to the coffers for more releases to be produced.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:28 pm 

darthpeepee wrote:
;
...... I have not been listening since 1968 because I was not born, nor a thought at that point, but that doesn't mean I'm not as big of a fan....

Today, I feel differently. My excitement is gone. I still love FZs music. It's really all I currently listen to and probably always will, but being strung along about future releases has become old. I used to enjoy looking at the message boards daily to see the latest rumors or what album will be coming out next. Now I could care less.

.....I miss the excitement of releases and reading about what is to come. No more cryptic emails. Give us all something good and consistent. Maybe one day I'll get back to the point of reading the boards again and Idiot Bastard Son's news on a regular basis, until then... I'll wait patiently for the Barfko-Swill email to appear in my inbox... Whenever that may be.

Ok darthpeepee... One day you can let go of it..... surely there are plans for 2015, the Vaultmeister has spoken recently, gladly that was at an event that was far away from this forum, you can search youtube for a little general info, it's somewhere "under a raging moon", and there should be little cryptic code regarding that clue.......... but until then, when that day comes where you have the next project in whatever player you listen to things on, may I remind you that official releases have never been governed by forum board regalia.

Who knows what forum boards are really about anyway. Why should forum boards have anything to do with the music. Clearly it never has and never will.

Keep on enjoying the music! If 99 official releases were not enough. I feel confident that there will be plenty more special projects that will get released.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 pm 

Oh boy... IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:27 pm 

I should have asked Joe at the Yogurt show. The vibe was too thick to think about anything but the moment, that night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 am 

coevad wrote:
I should have asked Joe at the Yogurt show. The vibe was too thick to think about anything but the moment, that night.

I've said this before but I rarely if ever ask Joe about what he's been working on in the vault. I like surprises! The vault, ....these FZ, GZ, DZ, and JT productions, they certainly deliver.

I come from an era where Frank's live performances preceded the new song on the new record so to speak. Discussions on message boards were never part of a fans needs and wants. It was simple to just let the composer do things on his own timetable, so as a fan, I try and extend that same courtesy, of just waiting patiently and letting the music speak, no reason to let fan regalia get in the way with the remaining FZ and ZFT productions. I did once ask Frank about if and when a certain title would come out, I learned a lesson with that experience.

By this time, 99 Official projects, it is not common for a new song to be released. Not to say that it does not happen, Dragonmaster is one example. Solitude is another. For those not aware, neither is released but Dragonmaster has had an extensive preview and will be officially released in 45 days. The Audio documentaries have a large selection of what can be considered new titles but they have many building blocks to something on an official release.

So if one considers the audio documentary side of the catalog, there's actually quite a number of new songs that had not been released, but many new things that come our way are more-so aligned with specific arrangement, full shows or specific shows that could very well have video archive material that lends itself to what Frank was building upon with his vision and production of video in the 80s. When Dance Me This comes my way, I will be quite thankfull, for that is a very special release of unreleased material. We've heard a glimpse of that. I understand why The Meridian Arts Ensemble were amazed when FZ played that material for them. Kongar-Ol-Ondar 53rd birthday would have been in 2 days..... Happy birthday to the heavens.

http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/ofconsequ ... -ol-ondar/

So coevad is one of the lucky ones that witnessed Yogurt.
Maybe there is something in his quote that anyone can use.
It's about living life in the moment. Enjoying FZs music and be thankful to be alive.
It's all about good will.
That' premiere outing had an example of live performance of unreleased material.
There is plenty of these kind of things and if they take their own time to make their way into new releases that is expected.

It's spring time. Plant some yogurt and watch it grow.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:26 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:49 pm 

Hi,

I would imagine that the first thing that Frank would have told you is ... get a life!

And I wonder if your addiction to the music is healthy ... you really should learn a bit more about music, and that's not to say that Frank was not one of the better folks out there, but he was not the only one!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:25 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
It's all about good will.

What are you talking about? This is a Frank Zappa forum. Are you familiar with his lyrics, book, interviews? It's not all about goodwill! It's about being pissed off at, and exposing, the deceitful, controlling, greedy phonies who make our lives much less rewarding and far less wonderful than our lives should be.

"Fans" are also "customers" and the customers opinions matter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 am 

Thank you all for the recommendations! I actually do listen to tons of other music, but as far as learning music, I find FZ's sound and style encompasses a lot and fits into my style of guitar playing. I will surely download some of these recommendations to get some new sound into my ears.

As I'm writing this, I seen Dance Me This was released for pre-order. Wooo! Now let's get some more Road Tapes released.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:38 am 

Moshkito wrote:
Hi,

I would imagine that the first thing that Frank would have told you is ... get a life!

And I wonder if your addiction to the music is healthy ... you really should learn a bit more about music, and that's not to say that Frank was not one of the better folks out there, but he was not the only one!

I appreciate the comment. I am very well educated in music, but choose to listen to FZ's work more because of how he composed "simple" songs and made them more difficult, yet still had a rock sound.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:42 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
Phlakaton wrote:
move on and discover more cool music

this.

there is plenty to go around, you just need to invest some time in the search.
luckily, the interwebs makes it easy.

what type of sounds interest you, darth?

My musical tastes are everywhere. Currently, I've been loving Ragtime and some older Delta Blues stuff.... also Django and some other swing jazz. I've listened to the blues thoroughly and know all of FZ's influences. I'm really looking for something that is challenging on the guitar but not impossible to play (eg: bands that have too many instruments that you cannot transcribe it to guitar). I'll take any other recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:02 am 

darth, you do not have a private message option yet.
no biggie.
i am interested in this:
darthpeepee wrote:
Currently, I've been loving Ragtime and some older Delta Blues stuff

bring on the namedrop.
perhaps i can throw some marbles into your bucket.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:09 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
darth, you do not have a private message option yet.
no biggie.
i am interested in this:
darthpeepee wrote:
Currently, I've been loving Ragtime and some older Delta Blues stuff

bring on the namedrop.
perhaps i can throw some marbles into your bucket.

Ragtime (I don't know many so I could use some recommendations): Blind Blake, Rev. Gary Davis and Dave Van Ronk mainly. The New Lost City Ramblers have some interesting rags as well...

Delta Blues (I listen to a bunch but my favorites are..): Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Boy Fuller, Rev. Gary Davis, Rev. Robert Wilkins, Pink Anderson, Mance Lipscomb, Fred McDowell, Big Bill Broonzy

I'm sure I'm missing some that I listen to.. I know all of the classic players too... Robert Johnson, Son House, etc.. but if you know any deeper/not as popular players, I'd love to know them.