Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:46 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Courage-Fr ... ch+Courage

What's up with this one? Another grey release by a shady label, ripped from Zappateers like Central Park '68, & Ritz '81? How's the sound? I'll keep an eye out and see if copies pop up thru 3rd party sellers. Would like a good quality show on CD from the Logeman band.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:58 pm 
Banned

Don't buy it, stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:01 pm 
Banned

And there are plenty of great 1980 shows with Logeman that you can get from Zappateers. Why would you want something on CD?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:23 pm 

I'm not too technologically advanced so pardon my ignorance, but how do people listen to the shows on Zappateers? Do they just click on a link and listen to it on their device or do they copy it on a a cd? What does the ZFT think about Zappateers offering all this Zappa product for free? In that sense, is Zappateers really any better than bootleggers? I get that nobody is profiting from Zappateers but I can't see how the ZFT (or Frank Zappa if he was alive) would approve.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:39 pm 

First you download torrents. And then you can listen to them any way you like (and can, as you will need software for playing flacs).

KUIII wrote:
What does the ZFT think about Zappateers[...]?

Other people can comment better on it than me for sure, but it looks like they tolerate it. The Vaultmeister himself posts on that board from time to time, one of his latest comments was that it was Jeff Simmons who yelled: "Turn my mike up!" before "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" on the new Road Tapes release. That could tell you something.

Zappateers is not just a space to trade tapes and lossless files. It's a wealth of information. That you can only gather if you listen to circulating SBD, Aud (not sure if there is anything else, maybe FM broadcast occasionally) recordings. For me it was a bit of a joy when I listened to "King Kong" played live on 26 February 1978 and I heard Tommy Mars in the midst of his piano solo going into "Inca Roads". So I notified one of the webmasters and so there, you can click on the setlist page of the 1977-78 tour and you can see "Inca Roads" is quoted in "King Kong".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:05 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Courage-Frank-Zappa/dp/B01ETKN7VA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1465774761&sr=1-1&keywords=Frank+Zappa+Dutch+Courage

What's up with this one? Another grey release by a shady label, ripped from Zappateers like Central Park '68, & Ritz '81?

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a database being kept anywhere that compiles the dodgy releases that are nothing more than Zappateers files pressed up?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:15 am 

Dom wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Courage-Frank-Zappa/dp/B01ETKN7VA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1465774761&sr=1-1&keywords=Frank+Zappa+Dutch+Courage

What's up with this one? Another grey release by a shady label, ripped from Zappateers like Central Park '68, & Ritz '81?

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a database being kept anywhere that compiles the dodgy releases that are nothing more than Zappateers files pressed up?

I don't think so. But it is safe to assume that ANYTHING pressed up by the bootlegger/grey area entities is lifted from somewhere, recordings that have been floating around for years. And even if not it is fair game to make it available for free so it is a moot issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Why would you want something on CD?

Because that's the medium I prefer to listen to music. I can't be bothered with downloading shit, storing files, and then transferring what I want to CD. I'd rather just pay someone the $12 or whatever, even if it's a bootlegger.
Was listening to the Providence 4-26-75 2-CD release(Keyhole) yesterday. I don't regret buying it one bit. If I end up buying this one, I'll leave a review here, just to piss you off. :P :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:38 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Because that's the medium I prefer to listen to music. I can't be bothered with downloading shit, storing files, and then transferring what I want to CD. I'd rather just pay someone the $12 or whatever, even if it's a bootlegger.
Was listening to the Providence 4-26-75 2-CD release(Keyhole) yesterday. I don't regret buying it one bit. If I end up buying this one, I'll leave a review here, just to piss you off. :P :mrgreen:

Here, here! My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 pm 

Dutch Courage by another name

Rotter-damned. 1980.
(Moustouche's Magic Music)
The Ahoy, Rotterdam, Holland, May 24th 1980.
FZ, Ike Willis, Ray White, Arthur Barrow, David Logeman, Tommy Mars.
Disc One
1 Tuning Up
2 Chunga's Revenge
3 Keep It Greasy
4 Outside Now
5 City Of Tiny Lites
6 Teenage Wind
7 Bamboozled By Love
8 Pick Me I'm Clean
9 Society Pages
10 I'm A Beautful Guy
11 Beauty Knowa No Pain
12 Charlies Enormous Mouth
13 Cosmik Debris
Disc Two
1 You Didn't Try To Call Me
2 I Ain't Got No Love
3 Love Of My Life
4 You Are What You Is
5 Easy Meat
6 Joe's Garage
7 Why Does It Hurt When I Pee
8 Tuning Up
9 Dancin' Fool
10 Bobby Brown
11 Ms Pinky
12 Tuning Up
13 I Don't Want To Get Drafted
14 The Illinois Enema Bandit

I've had this for ten years, great show, well worth the money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:42 am 

KUIII wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Here, here! My thoughts exactly.

I agree - having been consuming music for 35-odd years, I want to own the artifact. I'll lose virtual files when hard discs crash. I don't trust the cloud. But my records and CDs - I can touch them. They're real. I can rip them to hard disc whenever I want.

And so I resent being charged for burnt CDs with laser-printed artwork - that's what friends trade with each other. If you're gonna charge for it, it has to be a pressed CD with printed artwork. Or a pressed record, preferably in a cover.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 am 

I guarantee you anything you would download from Zappateers has better sound quality than any purchased bootleg out there. These folks really take care of their traded tapes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:57 pm 

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Chunga'S Revenge
2. Keep It Greasy
3. Outside Now
4. City Of Tiny Lites
5. Teenage Wind
6. Bamboozled By Love
7. Pick Me I'M Clean
8. Society Pages
9. I'M A Beautiful Guy
10. Beauty Knows No Pain
11. Charlie'S Enormous Mouth
12. Cosmik Debris
13. You Didn'T Try To Call Me
14. I Ain'T Got No Heart
15. Love Of My Life
16. You Are What You Is
17. Easy Meat
18. Joe'S Garage
19. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee'

Disc: 2
1. Dancin' Fool
2. Bobby Brown
3. Ms. Pinky
4. Encore Break
5. I Don'T Wanna Get Drafted
6. The Illinois Enema Bandit
7. Heavenly Bank Account
8. Suicide Chump
9. Jumbo Go Away
10. If Only She Woulda
11. Stick It Out
12. Mudd Club
13. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing
14. Golden Arches
15. Matt Siegel Interview 1980

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:18 pm 

Got the vinyl, I bought 200 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:43 am 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Got the vinyl, I bought 200 years ago.

It's 200 years old
Squattin' down
And poppin' up
In front of the juke box
Like it had true religion
BOY.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 pm 

Man, I really don't like "City of Tiny Lites" and I surely don't need yet another version live - I have too many already.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:21 am 

I got one. Its nice to play cds in the car. The Rotterdam show sounds good; the extras a bit less so. As for quality in general, flacs will get you good headroom, but will never fix things like the Radio dropouts and bleeps that occur when there is profanity, like there is on these recordings. Only a couple of them, but I hate that shit.

Question: Do you read digital liner notes? I tend to never read liner notes when I get digital tunes, but I nearly always do when its a hard copy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:07 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I got one. Its nice to play cds in the car. The Rotterdam show sounds good; the extras a bit less so. As for quality in general, flacs will get you good headroom, but will never fix things like the Radio dropouts and bleeps that occur when there is profanity, like there is on these recordings. Only a couple of them, but I hate that shit.

Question: Do you read digital liner notes? I tend to never read liner notes when I get digital tunes, but I nearly always do when its a hard copy.

Good to hear. Mine's ordered and on the way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:08 pm 

I don't remember bleeped out profanities on any copy of 5/24/80 I've had. Maybe the bonus tracks?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:48 am 

Yep, one of the bonus tracks. I just listened and only one track had bleeps and dropouts for use of "shit" and "ass", The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing. Slightly inneresting to note that Heavenly Bank Account, also an FM broadcast, has FZ clearly saying "asshole" in the banter before the song.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:11 am 

Yes, I think the 7/3/80 was edited by FZ for broadcast and it has guitar squiggles and random beats in place of the curse words.