Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 am 

I dont like shredders generally (I dont class FZ as a shredder) and none of the 'stunt' solos are offensive, but none really do anything for me.
You are in control (logistics aside) - vai or vaughan / cuccurrollo or cray...
etc
TT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 am 

They are there to perform near impossible parts to the best of their ability.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:44 pm 

I understand Deuce, I don't like them either... Music is about how it sounds, not about the philosophical idea or about how fast you can wring that neck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:07 pm 

Did someone say stunt guitar? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:01 pm 

"Well you put me up against Steve Vai in terms of technical ability, he will blow me away. But I’ll take the Pepsi challenge with songwriting against Steve any day. I think I’m a hundred times more interesting than him in terms of coming up with interesting records. I saw Steve Vai play with Frank Zappa in the early 1980’s, he was fucking amazing, but he’s playing exactly what Frank wants him to play. Put him in that situation and he will bury you. If you ask him to write you an album, I mean Kurt Cobain would have stomped his ass. Ultimately being a phenomenal technical guitarist is worthless unless you’re a hired gun, which is where Vai’s strengths lie. I never took guitar lessons; I don’t know how to read music." - Buzz Osborne(Melvins)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:06 pm 

I don't know what happened to my reply...

But I think you should relisten to Cuccurrulo solos. One of them is on 'Andy' and is note-for-note (with minor deviations) the "studio" solo Frank performed from OSFA and 'Cosmik Debris' during which he plays some very creative solos in my opinion.

Also not quite a stunt guitarist but the few solos Jeff Simmons got in 1974 are pretty incredible.

But yeah, otherwise, weedly-wee solos are lame as hell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:15 pm 

Not a big fan of Vai's solos but the instrumentals the band with Vai played (Drowning Witch/Baltimore/Moggio, Alien Orifice, Sinister Footwear) are some of my favorite Zappa music.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 am 

Any suggestion to shows where these solos can be heard?

I have often wished that there was some kind of 'awesome solos by band members' compilation somewhere. Does this exist to anybody's knowledge?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:40 am 

richieG wrote:

I have often wished that there was some kind of 'awesome solos by band members' compilation somewhere. Does this exist to anybody's knowledge?

Good point - my way of thinking is if its down in the mix, quite short, too much fuzz / whammy, too many notes / harmonics - its stunt.
TT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:03 am 

And Playing Complex Passages Solos that sound on par with what was done it Studio's something FZ did not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 am 

richieG wrote:

As far as Vai he had a brief solo in "Dead Girls Of London" in 1980, and a longer one in "Stevie's Spanking" (both by himself and in a duet with Zappa) in 1981 and 2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:24 am 

How about this kind of stunt guitarist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgqP2xiGSIA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm 

I can appreciate the whiz-banginess of a very technical and very fast guitarist. I really like Petrucci. But I'm more of a "does it fit the song or is it just showing off?" kind of person.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm 

richieG wrote:

Do you use zappateers?

If so, Jeff Simmons has some killer guitar work on Duprees in http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=21137 and http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=25631 has some sweet jazzy-parody playing during Cocktail lounge music bits. Also, in the first show there, "Andy" (called something/anything in that show, with slightly different lyrics) has a Simmons guitar-intro riff, missing from all subsequent lineups/versions of this tune. Let me just say, it has ruined all other versions. The intro sounds empty without it to me now.

Any '79 show is going to have a largely similar set list (also known as the best setlist ever). So assume WC has a solo on Cosmik Debris and Andy.

I know there is a "Shutup and Play Yer Guitar" style comp of Tommy Solos floating around (or so I've heard, never heard it myself)

I also like Keneally solos from 88 when not playing to Stairway to Heaven (and ending up wheedly-weeing, parody or not, it's annoying)