Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hot Rats Guitar???
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:19 pm 

Hi Jonny_is_Jeebus,<br><br>I learned how to play Peaches en Regalia on the piano and once transcribed the complete Willie the Pimp guitar solo for electric guitar and learned how to play it (this was way before the Hot Rats tab book was available). This indeed can take months to play perfect.<br><br>However, looking back at that, I think it's a bit futile to learn how to play the Willie the Pimp solo note-for-note. I picked up some great licks from that solo that I still use to this day, but remember: FZ probably never would have played that solo the same way twice, he was all about improvising or 'instant composing', as he called it. I think it's better to learn the main melody and some of the solo licks that sound interesting instead of learning the whole beast. Also: guitar tone was also very important to FZ and I'm still trying to figure out how he got that exact tone on WTP. I think he runs his guitar signal through two different amps and uses a wah-wah pedal on only one amp.<br><br>Anyway, it's all up to you. Good luck and keep practicing those chops :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:25 pm 

Agree on the "keep practicing" encouragements!<br><br>Another tip:  seek out Guitar Slim's and Johnny Guitar Watson's stuff -- there are a couple of good, recent compilations out there.  Learning FZ's solos will certainly improve your dexterity -- but Frank started out learning those guys' licks on guitar and took off from there.  Learning their licks will help you into understanding part of the internal logic of a Zappasolo....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:35 pm 

And here's another tip that works for me when I try to memorize long lead lines like on 'Willie': try whistling or singing along to them. This may sound stupid but it really helps, at least for me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:33 pm 

dammit. i never really realized what a loser i am! you guys are learning to play hot rats and here i am barely able to grasp the musically complicated style that is FZ. <br><br>when did you guys start everything? is 13 too late to pick up an instrument? <br><br>I never realized that I'm not good at anything!!! :o

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enfroced

my msn messanger email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:14 am 

While we're about it then, does anyone know where I can get bass guitar tab for this - or any Zappa stuff?<br><br>(Listened to HR again last night.  God, what beautiful and incredibly mature music for someone still in his twenties at the time.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:22 pm 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=albums;num=1036022973;start=0#1 date=10/30/02 at 16:19:18]Hi Jonny_is_Jeebus,<br><br>However, looking back at that, I think it's a bit futile to learn how to play the Willie the Pimp solo note-for-note. <br>Anyway, it's all up to you. Good luck and keep practicing those chops :)[/quote]<br><br>Agree - Frank tired not to copy himself (excepf for these Muffin Man solos). Keep in mind, BTW that 'Willie' solo is a serious edit of the actual solo(s) - so what we hear and love is not what was originally played in the studio. In any case, I beive FZ was far from his guitar playing peak in '70 - try to play his SUNPYG solos  ;)<br>

Post subject: re: hot rats guitar???
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:06 am 

cucachunga wrote:
...What guitar did Frank use on HR? ...

from the zappa's guitars site
Quote:
...Zappa bought a Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster. This guitar is an old jazz model, and can be listened in the two first Mothers albums. This instrument were very oriented to jazz playing, and Zappa replaced it for another guitars from Gibson: being the most important ones a Les Paul Goldtop and another modified guitar -with a LP body too- which I haven't more information about (Yet!). FZ played these guitars for several years, and his sound were very bluesy-standard

As a matter of fact, mankind meets Frank Zappa The Guitarist when the album Hot Rats is released (1969)

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:30 am 

I think the Switchmaster was the absolute top-of-the-line most-expensive Gibson electric guitar made at the time. If not, it was close. I would imagine owning one was a real status symbol, especially for a guy who came from the jazz circuits like Frank was playing in around the time of the gretting card days.

Post subject: re: hot rats guitar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:44 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:36 pm 

How much was the list price of a Gibson ES 5 ( Switchmaster) when FZ got paid for Run Home Slow?

I thought FZ mentioned this detail but I can't find it.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 am 

I think he did mention this in the FZ book.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:31 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
How much was the list price of a Gibson ES 5 ( Switchmaster) when FZ got paid for Run Home Slow?

I thought FZ mentioned this detail but I can't find it.

Probly not to different from this.

"The 1959 list price was $450. A plush-lined No. 600 Faultless case was available for an additional $52.50. The current value for this all-original-condition guitar is $12,500."

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... itchmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:54 pm 

Interesting. So at about $500 in the late Eisenhower era it seems to be s significant premium on what became the highly desirable Les Paul Standard of the same period. So FZ must have been paid abut $2000 for his work on the film ( I thought that was the cost of the guitar)

as regards current value then I think the FZ model which he is associated with would be worth more because FZ bought the now much rarer ES 5 with Florentine ( or sharp) cutaway.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:32 am 

From TRFZB:

"Run Home Slow (starring Mercedes McCambridge) was completed and scored in 1963. I even got paid for it -- not all of it, but most of it. I took part of the money and bought a new guitar, and used the rest to 'buy' Pal Records from Paul. In other words, I agreed to take over his lease and the rest of his debt."