Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa album collection
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:46 am 

Hey everyone - I wanted to see what other people's Zappa CD and Vinyl collections are like. I am quite new to Zappa (started listening in 2002), but I have become obsessed with listening to and buying ANYTHING Zappa that I can get my gloves on. <br><br>I started with CDs (didn't have a table at the time) and have around 60 discs, mostly the newer Ryko stuff, and a few of the original Rykos. I only have about 15 on vinyl (yeah, I know......)  I am ALWAYS on the prowl for any and every disc that comes through the local used shops!! I am also addicted to ebay (I have a feeling many of us are)!<br><br>I assume that my collection is NOTHING compared to some of you out there, especially those of you that are lucky enough to have listened to Frank since the beginning!!  Fess up you hardcores, I wanna know just how many of you have went without a meal, and worked days of overtime to pick up that gem missing from your collection.    ;D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:02 am 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=albums;num=1103125604;start=0#1 date=12/15/04 at 08:25:37][s]Well I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I own all the vinyl releases. Even YCDTOSA II. I also have approximatly 3/4 of the collection on 1995 rykodisc, but you don't want to buy anymore discs since the catalog is being re-re-released by the ZFT.[/s] I once drove 10 hours to get a copy of the GTO's permanent damage. [s]Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forum.[/s] ;D ;D ;D[/quote]<br><br> :o WTF, mate?<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:19 am 

I have a bunch of the CDs. I'm not sure how many. I know I have nearly all the good ones (except Civilization Phaze III, that is). I even have an 8-track of "Fillmore East, June 1971". ;D I also have a few bootlegs I've downloaded off the Internet. While this might seem impressive, it's nothing compared to what some of the other people on this Forum (jaypfunk, IdiotBastardson, UNICA, etc.) have. (I bet none of them have any 8-tracks, though. ;D)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:29 am 

I have all on vinyl from FREAK OUT - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE VOL.2., and after that the rest on CD...<br><br>Most valuable Zappa-record is probably 'Valley Girl' on a purple picture-disc in vinyl...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:02 am 

I have all the FZ albums on the original Zappa records label........A few of the Ryko ones too, all UMRK, and all the sordid compilations too Im afraid....Oh, and the Beat The Boots series too.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:23 am 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=albums;num=1103125604;start=0#5 date=12/15/04 at 11:12:43]<br><br>That's right Groggie!!!! I had a chance to get an original LP promo copy on straight records with the original booklet for $30.00 from a little mom and pop record store in upstate New York. I live in lower Massachusetts so it was a long fucking ride. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. ;D[/quote]<br><br>I do understand that, but, WTF!? :o<br><br> ;D 8)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:12 am 

Every CD, every LP, every cassette, and every 8 track.<br>35 bootlegs in various forms.  Every video released plus 6 compilation type VHS tapes.  Also every book by or about FZ.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:13 am 

Oh yeah, forgot also have about 15 promo cds and lps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:11 am 

[quote author=ducky link=board=albums;num=1103125604;start=0#9 date=12/16/04 at 12:12:11]Every CD, every LP, every cassette, and every 8 track.<br>35 bootlegs in various forms.  Every video released plus 6 compilation type VHS tapes.  Also every book by or about FZ.[/quote]<br><br>What is '8 track'?   ???<br><br>Is it this?:<br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:10 am 

Image<br><br><br>Easier to ask what I don't have.<br><br>Been collecting FZ since about '71 - in the process now of spinning the boots into CDs.<br><br>Any trades out there?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:35 pm 

serious_poncho wrote:
What is '8 track'? ...

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Image  Image

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:55 pm 

Slimey, you actually posted some 4 track tapes too. And the last one is a fake.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:12 am 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=albums;num=1103125604;start=0#13 date=12/23/04 at 13:06:31]<br><br>Nice fuckin collection. I'm a vinyl hog myself. I haven't got in to burning discs out of them yet. I'll let you know.  ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>Yeah  My wife calls it a " disease " !  She may be right ;)<br><br>My boy just wants em to sell & get the money to buy Lincoln Parks Cds ( thought I taught him better than that )<br>I figure if I do 2 lps a night , I might have them all burned by my retirement , which is probably one day before I die --  MUSIC IS THE BEST !!<br><br>And a real spiffy hobby , too

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:17 am 

[font=arial]I've got a cassette with "Bobby Brown" on it and another song about trying to make some woman cum for a bet. Oh and a yellow badge too.[/font]<br>[center]<br>Image[/center]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:23 am 
Banned

[quote author=BBSNX link=board=albums;num=1103125604;start=15#17 date=12/24/04 at 11:17:11][font=arial]I've got a cassette with "Bobby Brown" on it and another song about trying to make some woman cum for a bet. Oh and a yellow badge too.[/font]<br>[center]<br>Image[/center][/quote]<br><br>You know, you people badger me all the time about being fat (I'm not fat -- what are you, kidding me?), but at least, I don't look like this guy.<br><br>And I say this with no disrespect intended.<br>

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:50 pm 

I have a diminutive Zappa collection.<br><br>CDs:<br><br>Absolutely Free<br>Apostrophe (')<br>Burnt Weeny Sandwich<br>Cruising With Ruben & The Jets<br>Hot Rats<br>Sheik Yerbouti<br>Stairway To Heaven single<br>Freak Out!<br>Lumpy Gravy<br>One Size Fits All<br>Overnite Sensation<br>We're Only In It For The Money<br>Weasels Ripped My Flesh<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:52 am 

You really got CPIII on 8 track? I thought those photos of it were bogus> Seem to remember another thread somewhere saying they were. Sweet collection though man....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:38 pm 

Just starting the Zappa vinyl collection but more to come;<br><br>We're Only in it for the Money (Canadian Pressing)<br>Burnt Weeny Sandwich<br>200 Motels<br>Sleep Dirt<br>Sheik Yerbouti<br>You Are What You Is<br><br>I think I'll get Roxy and Elesewhere next.<br><br>CDs:<br>Freak Out!<br>Absolutley Free<br>WOIIFTM/ Cruising with Ruben and the Jets (vinyl mix cdr)<br>Lumpy Gravy<br>Lumpy Gravy (4 track/ 8 track version cdr)<br>Mothermania (cdr)<br>Hot Rats<br>Chunga's Revenge<br>Swiss Cheese/ Fire!<br>Just Another Band From L.A.<br>Grand Wazoo<br>Overnite Sensation<br>Apostrophe<br>Bongo Fury<br>Bongo Fury Live in El Paso (cdr)<br>Lather<br>Live in New York<br>Sleep Dirt<br>Joe's Garage<br>Thingfish<br>London Symphony Orchesta<br>Mystery Disc<br>The Lost Episodes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:12 am 

[quote author=magic_go-cart link=board=albums;num=1103125604;start=15#22 date=03/21/05 at 00:38:40]Just starting the Zappa vinyl collection but more to come;<br><br>We're Only in it for the Money (Canadian Pressing)<br>Burnt Weeny Sandwich<br>200 Motels<br>Sleep Dirt<br>Sheik Yerbouti<br>You Are What You Is<br><br>I think I'll get Roxy and Elesewhere next.<br><br>CDs:<br>Freak Out!<br>Absolutley Free<br>WOIIFTM/ Cruising with Ruben and the Jets (vinyl mix cdr)<br>Lumpy Gravy<br>Lumpy Gravy (4 track/ 8 track version cdr)<br>Mothermania (cdr)<br>Hot Rats<br>Chunga's Revenge<br>Swiss Cheese/ Fire!<br>Just Another Band From L.A.<br>Grand Wazoo<br>Overnite Sensation<br>Apostrophe<br>Bongo Fury<br>Bongo Fury Live in El Paso (cdr)<br>Lather<br>Live in New York<br>Sleep Dirt<br>Joe's Garage<br>Thingfish<br>London Symphony Orchesta<br>Mystery Disc<br>The Lost Episodes[/quote]<br><br>HEY!   Where'd ya score a 4/8-track version of Lumpy Gravy? :o<br>    I have some sorta attempt at Lumpy Gravy on shady CD( ???possibly an acetate version,pre-release),BUT I have never been able to score a copy off of thee real 4-Track version of that BUGGER!<br>     I am obsessed by that version of that LP.<br>     Any possibility of scoring a copy of that little gem?(If so PM me....I'd be greatly indebted for it to you. Please....?)