Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Yellow Shark
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:44 am 

[quote author=Little Bitch link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#0 date=03/27/05 at 04:09:37]I'm playing this album again after a long, long time and what strikes me again is Frank's voice. It has that 'hollow' sound. I wonder who else have noticed this.[/quote]<br><br>Everybody here. I am sure.<br>I recall that the first time I heard it I was very very sad. But I like to think that when Frank was introducing the show (and he certainly was aware of his next premature death) he was pleased to see one of his musical projects finally realised.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:35 am 

[quote author=Little Bitch link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#0 date=03/27/05 at 04:09:37]<br><br>It's very sad to see the pics on the artwork, a shell of his former being...  >:( :'([/quote]<br><br>That's not that sad to me.  Now this is sad...<br><br>Image<br><br> :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:31 am 

Shit, now THAT'S sad.  :'(<br>Fuck, how utterly painful must it have been for his family, friends and fans to see him like that. Judging by the message on his t-shirt (or what I can make of it) he still had his humour, even when approaching the end. <br>Thats pic has stunned me, I never saw him like that before, I've seen pics of him when he was ill, but never before like that.<br>I lost my Auntie, who I was really close to, to Cancer, she actually died on my Birthday too. She had an awful death. Looking at that just brought it all flooding back.<br><br>Comes to us all doesn't it, it' the only certainty in life, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:32 am 

Does his t-shirt say "I fucked the Government now my dick glows in the dark" ??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:22 am 

[quote author=Correct Technique link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#2 date=03/27/05 at 05:35:08]<br><br>That's not that sad to me.  Now this is sad...<br><br>Image<br><br> :([/quote]<br><br>Oh, no doubt.<br>This is very sad.<br>I think we already saw that pic in the Forum.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:26 am 

But, even though his facial features and beard make him look different, he is expressing himself in the usual way.  I still see his spirit in that picture.<br><br>The one that really upset me is the one where he is in a conservative mens white shirt and pants sitting in the garden and looking like he has gained a lot of weight.  From retaining water, im sure.  He looks only like any old Italian gentleman.  I can hardly see Frank Zappa in those pictures.<br><br>And i am glad that in his final days he went back to his long hair and casual dress.  I don't like when he cut his hair and started wearing suit and tie.<br><br>I prefer to remember him in a mythic way like this:<br><br>Image<br><br>or like this:<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:33 am 

I love that bottom pic of him Freddie, I use that as my wallpaper on my PC. I love this one too...<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:22 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#9 date=03/27/05 at 10:55:43]<br>I know what you mean; but honestly, I don't see it as sad at all.<br><br>You may just see a guy who's wasting away and getting ready for THE BOX; but I see a guy who's still on duty.<br><br>Frank had no intention of clocking out until his shift was up...[/quote]<br><br>That was what I was trying to say, Mental.  You expressed it a little more clearly.  And the sense of humor was still there.  The tshirt shows that.  A little more piquant, since death was so close and his illness involved the genitalia.  But he wasn't going to let that stop his statment.  FZ was FZ right to the end.  Keep charging the enemy till death comes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:45 am 

[quote author=asparagus link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#4 date=03/27/05 at 06:32:48]Does his t-shirt say "I fucked the Government now my dick glows in the dark" ??[/quote]<br><br>I thought it said "I trusted the government. Now my dick glows in the dark"... <br><br>And: This is perhaps a little less sad than some other late Zappa pictures: <br><br>Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:21 pm 

[quote author=peerdiem link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#12 date=03/28/05 at 06:45:52]<br><br>And: This is perhaps a little less sad than some other late Zappa pictures: <br><br>Image[/quote]<br><br>I know this image, it comes from a video where FZ and his team lost all the calculating data of his synclavier, he said to the camera then : "You've got the stock".<br><br>And about the previous picture that you can find on planetzappa.com, I have it perhaps all time with me. It's my favorite picture. I think it's not sad, we're not kids so we can accept that Frank had a non very enjoyable end but he succeed to many things in music that somewhere he's almost eternal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:58 pm 

[quote author=nico link=board=albums;num=1111925377;start=0#13 date=03/29/05 at 00:21:26]<br><br>I think it's not sad, we're not kids so we can accept that Frank had a non very enjoyable end but he succeed to many things in music that somewhere he's almost eternal. [/quote]<br><br>Hmmm...very well said Nico.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:23 am 

Never seen that pic of Frank before. I agree, sad. The Yellow Shark is a monumental album however, listening to that and CPIII, I always think of Zappa in his last days. I think they are his best work, too...