Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:05 pm 

I'm slowly collecting all of the albums I have as CD versions, and with two exceptions so far, I have been pleased.  However I have three exceptions so far.<br><br>Why did Frank ruin "Cruising With Ruben And The Jets" by remixing it?  I'm so used to the album mix, so hearing new drums tracks (that certainly don't sound like they were recorded in the 60's) and other instrumentation is a bit unnerving.  It never was one of my fav albums anyway, but I'm surprised he would mess with it.<br><br>The remix of "Hot Rats" isn't as jarring, but I would have preferred the album version.<br><br>I also got "Fillmore East" the other day, and the second part of "Willie The Pimp" that starts Side Two on the album version has been eliminated, while the original sudden end to Part One at the end of Side One now fades out.<br><br>Oh well, it was his stuff, so I guess he could do what he wanted with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:09 pm 

Add Zoot Allures to that list.<br>Also YAWYI the 1995 Ryko version (fixed later)<br><br>There are TONS of dicussions here about this subject and alot of them goe into great detail. (some of us are freaks!!) Do a search.<br><br>You can also go here:<br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/index.html<br><br>That web site goes into details of CD vs LP for every album!!<br>Have fun!!!<br><br>BTW - Collecting FRANK ZAPPA will make you crazy!! LOL<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:37 pm 

[quote author=PJBubbles link=board=albums;num=1097629515;start=0#0 date=10/12/04 at 18:05:15]...I'm so used to the album mix...[/quote]<br>...plus every lp had a preffered side which got played a bit more than the other side....agree with fillmore e, disagree with hot rats, one of the only cd's where additional/new material isn't offset by an unfamiliar mix<br><br>re: ruben....never became real familiar with it so the remix doesn't sound as foreign as some of the others<br><br>best: hot rats<br>good: yawyi<br>sad: sleep dirt<br><br><br>[right][img width=17 height=13]http://www.zappa.com/yabbFiles/YaBBImages/cool.gif[/img][/right]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:53 am 

I've only heard the CD version of Ruben, so I have nothing to compare it against., although if the difference if anything like it is with Money I can understand why people are upset about it. <br><br>As for Sleep Dirt, I have to say I like the CD mix and I think the vocals really fit in well. I had the LP before I had the CD, so I know the original, but I love both versions of the album. In fact, one day I just might burn a CD with the tracks from both versions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:57 am 

[quote author=Andy De Vine link=board=albums;num=1097629515;start=0#5 date=10/13/04 at 08:53:39]<br>I've only heard the CD version of Ruben, so I have nothing to compare it against[/quote]<br><br>The CWRATJ CD suffers greatly with the bass and freeze-dried electronic drum overdubs. WOIIFTM too.<br>BAD BAD BAD!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:35 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1097629515;start=0#6 date=10/13/04 at 08:57:35]<br><br>The CWRATJ CD suffers greatly with the bass and freeze-dried electronic drum overdubs. WOIIFTM too.<br>BAD BAD BAD!!!![/quote]<br><br>I agree with you that he ruined WOIIFTM adding the drum overdubs (he ruined Sleep Dirt too) but it is interesting to listen once a year. I like the overdubbed version of Mom & Dad, even though I far prefer the original one. <br>The 1995 edition restored the original WOIIFTM so we can't really complain now. But there is no excuse for Ruben, that album needs to be remastered and re-released without overdubs as soon as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:25 pm 
Banned

What the remix of WOIIFTM really has going for it is the fact that it's the only issue of the album that is completely uncut.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:16 pm 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1097629515;start=0#9 date=10/13/04 at 19:25:16]Sleep Dirt -- the CD gets points for sound quality, both eitherwise, it's basically instrumental vs. vocal versions of the same songs.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Don't forget the drum overdubs...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:06 am 
Banned

NANOOK76 wrote:
....I would suggest that any hardcore fan purchase vinyl versions on the following:
Freak Out "mono"
Absolutely Free "mono"

Expensive....

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:01 am 

Them Or Us:<br>When he left WEA in 1978, Zappa pursued quality disc mastering and pressings with a vengeance. One result of this was LP sides that rarely exceeded 17 or 18 minutes in length, allowing for considerable cutter oscillation and LP pressings of digital recordings that rival the CD versions in dynamic range and in every other way. Them Or Us, a satisfying rock collection with many bows to the '50s, is a case in point: not only does the LP put out a considerably higher signal than the CD; throughout most of the recording, the LP's highs are livelier, bass punchier. The CD sound is recessed, as if heard through a scrim; added reverb (check the background vocals on "Sharleena") sounds a lot more artificial. All in all, the CD is tighter, stiffer, more constrained and skeletal, while the LP has a darker, deeper focus (although this reverses a bit on "Truck Driver Divorce" and "Stevie's Spanking"). When better, the CD is only slightly so; when worse, a definite notch below: get the LP. <br><br>Oh yes, the music: Zappa has always been the best riff-rocker around, and proves it again on "Stevie's Spanking"; "Be In My Video" is a very funny send-up of MTV, and the album ends with a straightforward, up-tempo version of the old Allman Bros. chestnut, "Whipping Post"; Zappa guitar gourmands can gorge on "Marqueson's Chicken" and "Truck Driver Divorce." "Sinister Footwear II," rumored to have been originally arranged for chamber orchestra, appears here in chamber-rock format.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:37 pm 

[quote author=CloudStrifeXIII link=board=albums;num=1097629515;start=15#15 date=10/17/04 at 22:02:39]I've got Overnite Sensation, Zoot Allures, and Apostrophe on both vinyl and CD, and I'm astonished at how clearer the sound is on the vinyls as opposed to the CDs[/quote]<br><br><br><br>That's because the LP of anything is just better than the CD of anything.  Technology is retrograde, doncha know?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:32 am 

This will probably strike forum mainstays and Zappa fanatics as heresy, but I really like the 80s mix of We're Only In It For The Money.<br><br>Of course, the original mix is better, but the 80s mix has a certain charm to it. I was also the first version of We're Only In It For The Money I heard, so it has a certain something to it. The uncut material is a real Godsend as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:21 pm 
Banned

Mud_Shrimp_Moe wrote:
That's because the LP of anything is just better than the CD of anything. ?Technology is retrograde, doncha know?

Hey, did anyone wish that, during the entire history of The Three Stooges, somebody had the guts to actually slap Moe around a little bit? :wink:

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:56 pm 

Weasels is MUCH BETTER on vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:28 pm 

I don't know, guys, I like the extra few minutes on Weasels. Then again, I heard the CD before a I bought the vinyl. I was kind of disappointed when Charles Ives didn't show up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:52 am 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1097629515;start=0#13 date=10/14/04 at 12:06:05]Yeah right. Mono? Who ever heard of paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a MONO record? MONO, for cryin' out loud![/quote]<br><br>I thought I had mono once for an entire year, but it turns out I was just really bored.  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:15 am 

I guess it's a matter of preference, but the mix and clarity of all my Zappa CD's sounds perfect on my stereo system.  In fact, my whole music collection sounds good on my stereo system and it's not even high dollar equipment.  I've got an Aiwa AV-S17 receiver and the equalization and transparency is excellent.  I think it is very true to the mix.

They never won't