Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:16 am 

I've never heard the original release, having been without record player for several years, but I have heard a lot of the viewpoint that Chris mentions above, that the original bass and drums were superior and Frank ruined the album by remixing it. While I'd be interested to hear the original, personally I think the CD version I own sounds wonderful - 'Ruben' is one of my favorite Zappa albums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:11 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=albums;num=1043346666;start=15#15 date=01/28/03 at 08:37:34]<br><br>Take a look around before you say you don't care!<br>Shut your fuckin' mouth about the length of my hair!<br>How would you survive<br>if you were alive?<br>Shoulda been a PERSON!<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>the last line is....<br><br>Shitty little person<br>not... Shoulda been a PERSON!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:03 am 

[quote author=Billy_the_Wimp link=board=albums;num=1043346666;start=30#30 date=01/28/03 at 12:48:49]<br><br>Please let me know what LP/CD you have this version on.<br>My original Vinyl does NOT have this verse at all.<br>(it is on the record, recorded backwards in another song)<br>My 1986 CD with Lumpy Gravy has the verse, but with shitty little person.<br>The same verse is also on the original Mothermania LP.<br>As I understand it, the new CD has the same version as the original Vinyl,<br>without the verse with shitty little person.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Billy... Know why you or I don't have this line on the multiple copies of WOIIFTM LPs and CDs from all over the world??<br>It doesn't fucking exist. It only exists in the tone deaf ears of Chris "must have been on the O.J. jury" Federico.<br><br>JP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:31 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1043346666;start=30#31 date=01/28/03 at 13:03:16]<br><br>Billy... Know why you or I don't have this line on the multiple copies of WOIIFTM LPs and CDs from all over the world??<br>It doesn't fucking exist. It only exists in the tone deaf ears of Chris "must have been on the O.J. jury" Federico.<br><br>JP[/quote]<br><br><br>In the book "Plastic People" which contains the lyrics from "Freak Out" to "Bongo Fury" (and which got handwritten corrections by Zappa himself in several places, so it should be correct...), it is "shitty little person".<br>I listened to the uncensored "Mother People" myself and I think it maybe depends on what you're expecting to hear... It is clearly "shitty little", but I can imagine, if you read somewhere that it is "shoulda been", then it could also sound like that. But since english is not my mother tongue, maybe I can't judge this properly... :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:23 pm 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=albums;num=1043346666;start=0#0 date=01/23/03 at 10:31:06]What a fantastic improvement!<br>[/quote]I think the same about Hot Rats Ryko version