Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Freak Out!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:39 pm 

I almost feel alone about this one. This could very easily be my favorite Zappa album of all. I don't have a complete collection (I have 47 of his original live and studio albums), but I don't see how what I'm missing can top it. Honestly, I just love every track on this album to death. It's not the most technical work Zappa ever composed, and the band is probably one of the worst he played with, but something about it just speaks to me. Does anyone else feel this way?

Post subject: Re: Freak Out!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:59 pm 

I feel the same way. :-*<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:20 pm 

nothing wrong with that!  "Freak Out!" is a hell of an album by any measure and is likely a lot of people's favorite FZ record.  at 47 FZ albums you obviously have a lot to compare it to.  FZ's music is so multi-dimensional that it can effect even the most hardcore fans in completely different ways.  some folks prefer the instrumental stuff, others go for the yellow snow, yet others are ga-ga over his Synclavier works.  there's no right or wrong.  if ya love it, by all means, get in bed with it!<br><br>at 47 albums, you're well on your way.  i'm sure there are some who only have 5 or 10 albums but worship those albums to death.  there may be maniac record collectors who have a complete collection but never listen to them.  so who's the most hardcore?  who's the authority, the expert?  who cares?!  you are waving the flag for "Freak Out!" and that's cool.  you're a Frank Zappa fan, and that's even cooler.  i figure that alone makes us all experts.  Freak Out!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:56 am 

[quote author=dopplegangerjosh link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=0#2 date=11/17/02 at 01:20:22]<br>at 47 albums, you're well on your way.  i'm sure there are some who only have 5 or 10 albums but worship those albums to death. [/quote]<br><br>Well said!<br><br>I've about twenty Zappa records up to now, and I don't feel like buying all the rest ASAP.  At the moment, it's been a while when I bought a Zappa record and I'm planning to buy a couple of new Zappa records soon.<br>This way you can keep a clear view on what you buy and it keeps interesting to discover great albums.  I guess buying everything at once would be overkill.<br><br>About Freak Out!<br><br>It was one of my first zappa records and still one of my favorites.  I remember a friend gave me the strictly commercial album (best of Zappa) and that song from Freak Out! (Trouble every Day) made my want to buy Freak Out! immediatly.  I think that song sticked to my mind because it sounds like a real 60's song but very well performed, of course.  First I was a bit disappointed that there were no more songs like TED but later on I started to like the other stuff to. <br><br>So, Freak Out! Will stay a very special album for me because it guided me into the world of Zappa together with The Grand Wazoo and One Size Fits All.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:58 am 

Yeah, nothing wrong with that at all! (oh, dont be ashamed...!)<br>I - in the meantime - have come a completionist and I really do not have a favourite album. With Zappas various albums it is like with old friends you havent met for a long time. You meet them and remember how much you like them. So, if I prefer the 88 band for instance, I come across the Roxy album and go HEY!!!<br>Then again, after more than a year I relistened to FReak Out and I also went HEY!!! .... another great album. A Milestone of the sixties!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:40 pm 

I'm not ashamed, cause I know my opinion is right.  ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:31 pm 

The "relevant quotes" and list of "contributors" alone are worth the price of the disc...oh yeah, some great tunes too...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:17 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=0#8 date=11/19/02 at 21:53:40]Me, I had a girlfriend at the time who was an incredibly accomplished pianist. She kept trying to get me to "get it" with that album, and while I liked a few parts of it, I just couldn't approach it yet. It's too bad she dumped me, because I would have liked to thank her for planting the FZ seed in my psyche. [/quote]<br><br> :o :o :o<br>Ronnys you had a girlfriend who introduced you to FZ's music and you let her go?!?!?!?!?<br>Such a rare treeasure...<br>SHAME ON YOU!!  ;)<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:47 am 

[quote author=Dolphy link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=0#3 date=11/17/02 at 07:56:40]<br>This way you can keep a clear view on what you buy and it keeps interesting to discover great albums.  I guess buying everything at once would be overkill.<br>[/quote]<br>In a period of 2 years I bought (almost) everything.  Nowadays, I only miss Playground Psychotics, Lost Episodes, Have I offended someone, Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favs, Studio Tan.<br>Except for PP & LE, these albums can wait, all songs are on other albums, so. <br>I'll get them anyway.  <br>When I started buying Zappa, owning 10 or so albums, I never thought it would go that fast. But hey, here we are, alive & well.<br><br>'bout Freak Out!: it is one of my favourite, but I seem to like that other 60ies album, WOIFTM, more. Can't really say why...<br><br>Btw, doppleganger Josh is saying true things!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:21 am 

freak out might be my favorite album by frank. nobody else was doing stuff that good in 1966.you didnt try to call me what can one say about that song so true.Gotta get going so anyway the wind blows<br>.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:11 pm 

i do like freak out but i wouldnt say it is my favourite album. i do like songs like hungry freaks daddy and who are the brain police but it starts to get very repetitive and many of the songs start to sound the same. there is only so much you can take of songs like motherly love or you didnt try to call me.

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enfroced

my msn messanger email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:58 pm 

right on, bitchin album, I love it a lot, especially the end, which the first time I played was during a black out, the family was using the battery powered cd player as a radio and I was allowed 20 minutes between weather reports to listen to my new cd. <br>They must've missed the Brain Police because when it got weird "Suzy......." my mom was horrified but let it go. But  made me keep it low. You'll never get that same impact as listening to the Monster Magnet in the dark with your parents' shadows casted along the wall by candle light. <br><br>"If it's a concept album what excatly is the concept? attack of the mundane fascist Americana, then what are all those doowop songs in there for? they just boring and safe!......who the fuck are the brain police?"<br>-My Cousin, Dave Mathews fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:36 pm 

[quote author=Son_of_SomeKCheese link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=15#15 date=11/25/02 at 20:58:20]You'll never get that same impact as listening to the Monster Magnet in the dark with your parents' shadows casted along the wall by candle light. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Did this cause you to discorporate?<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:54 pm 

:o<br><br>leave it to Sleeping to make an Fz song waaaay more grosser than it ever was!  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:34 pm 

[center][sub]giga-rare ???[/sub][/center]<br>[center]Image[/center][center][sup] on ebay, catalog # SMV-9045/6[sub]Image[/sub][/sup][/center]<br><br>[font=arial black]Japanese GIGA-RARE Original 2LPs on Nippon Grammophon with THE OBI!!!!!!![/font]<br><br>let's just cut to the chase.....here's the holy grail for all you Mothers/Zappa collectors ...blah blah blah...with an awesome display ...blah blah blah...an incredible exclusive color live spread attached ...blah blah blah...other incredible photos ...blah blah blah...simply brilliant...blah blah blah...the icing on the cake...blah blah blah...an item of such calibre should be graded with every single minute detail...blah blah blah...a genuine museum piece...blah blah blah...much harder than to find a sealed first state Beatles butcher cover. You are likely to find 1000 copies of sealed 1[sup]st[/sup] state butcher covers for every copy of Freak Out with the OBI...blah blah blah...once in a lifetime opportunity! DON'T BLOW THIS CHANCE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:23 pm 

Freak Out! was not my first FZ CD (which was actually Cheap Thrills, and my first studio album was Jazz from Hell) by any chance, but it was my first studio FZ album that actually had the Mothers on it.<br><br>I've had it for 2-3 months now, and I've gotten used to most of the tracks. I agree that the Freak Out! band is not the best Mothers lineup ever (I highly prefer the Absolutely Free lineup), but the music satisfied.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:22 am 

i have a stack of freak out cds.   anytime i see one for cheap used at a record store, i pick it up.   i give them to various friends as gifts sometimes .   slowing opening everyone up to my addiction...helping to make them zappaholics too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:19 pm 

[quote author=Confinement_Loaf link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=15#23 date=09/05/03 at 14:22:39]i have a stack of freak out cds.   anytime i see one for cheap used at a record store, i pick it up.   i give them to various friends as gifts sometimes .   slowing opening everyone up to my addiction...helping to make them zappaholics too![/quote]<br><br>U should shuurly be blessed,annointed  and saved from oinkment~