Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Freak Out!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:57 am 

Freak Out was one of the first 5 or so releases by Frank that I bought.  The first was Baby Snakes, then Tinsle Town, Chunga's Revenge, and Best Band You Never Heard. To be honest, I didn't dig Freak Out as much as the others.  So it sat for years unplayed.  Since then I've dug it out from time to time, but still didn't quite get it.<br><br>Then not so long ago, I put in on and FINALLY it struck me as an amazing piece of work.  I've been listening to it every other day for the last couple of weeks.  It's under my skin now.  So much so that I'm on the hunt for an original vinyl version of it to go with my CD copy.  So now I can truly say Freak Out is one of my favorites!  ;D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:21 am 

[quote author=Trennasol link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=30#30 date=04/10/04 at 03:57:29]Freak Out was one of the first 5 or so releases by Frank that I bought.  To be honest, I didn't dig Freak Out as much as the others.  So it sat for years unplayed.  Since then I've dug it out from time to time, but still didn't quite get it.<br><br>Then not so long ago, I put in on and FINALLY it struck me as an amazing piece of work.  I've been listening to it every other day for the last couple of weeks.  It's under my skin now. So now I can truly say Freak Out is one of my favorites!  ;D[/quote]<br><br>This is weird. I just had the same experience. I bought that album umpteen million years ago and all it did was collect dust until a *friend* of mine insisted that I needed to go back and listen to it so I did. "How Could I Be Such A Fool", "Any Way the Wind Blows"...ahh, classic songs...among others...I just love it!<br><br>Wowie Zowie Trennasol, you read my mind!<br> 8) :o 8)<br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:00 am 

The first time I saw it in the local CD store of mine, I went like " :o" and decided to buy it but had very little money but my birthday where close.<br><br>For present I got along with a few other stuff, bla, bla, bla, a "discount-card" for 200 SEK, and Freak out! where for 209 SEK, so I just had to pay 9 SEK myself! ;D<br><br>But the listening experience clicked RIGHT AWAY! :o<br><br>Hungry freaks, daddy where perfect with the riff it begins with. ;D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:38 am 

[quote author=debutante daisy link=board=albums;num=1037511547;start=30#31 date=04/10/04 at 05:21:36]<br><br>This is weird. I just had the same experience. I bought that album umpteen million years ago and all it did was collect dust until a *friend* of mine insisted that I needed to go back and listen to it so I did. "How Could I Be Such A Fool", "Any Way the Wind Blows"...ahh, classic songs...among others...I just love it!<br><br>Wowie Zowie Trennasol, you read my mind!<br> 8) :o 8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Well, you know what they say about 'great minds!'   ;) :P<br><br>It's weird how some albums you didn't really like at first can grow on you to the point where you can't stop listening to it.   <br><br>T

Post subject: re: freakout!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:45 am 

[move][glow=red,9,1200][table][tr][td][/move][/td][td][table][tr][table][tr][move][center][pre]Image[/pre][/center]<br>[/move][td][move]<br>[td]<br>[/move][/move] [move] Image  [/td][/move][/td]<br>[/move][/tr][/table][td][/move][/td][[move] td][/td][td][/move][/td][/tr][/table][td][/move][/td][td][/move][/td][/[move] td][/tr][td][/move][/td][/table][table][tr][move]<br>[/move][td][move]Image[td][/move][/move]   [move]  [/td][/move][/td][move]<br>[/move][/tr][/table][/glow][/move]<br>[glow=brown,2,300][move]the plastic's all melted....[/move][/glow]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:00 am 

Or...... NO.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:26 pm 

"Freak out" was one of the first albums that got me into Frank in the first place...that along with "Hot Rats".Although this is off topic, I just wanted to say that its awesome that there are so many Zappa fans out there. Not many people I know "Get it" So I feel right at home here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:24 am 

It's an OK debutalbum for the band. But the questin is: Does humor belong in music?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:39 pm 

Another one of my favourite Zappa albums. This ranks pretty highly in my book - largely because the music contained on this disc is so good. The emphasis here isn't on social commentary, satire or fun - it's on the music, which, luckily is great.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:01 pm 

Another old fart still loving Freak Out.  <br><br>When you consider that album coming out within the context of 1966 it is even more amazing.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:27 am 

Freak Out was the first Zappa album I heard, and I've loved it ever since.