Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:51 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:05 am 

[quote author=Rosa link=board=albums;num=1100988939;start=0#4 date=11/21/04 at 02:56:08]I donĀ“t really like Absolutely Free that much. I like the Pumpkin-song, the instrumental one, but not the other songs quite much. :D[/quote]<br>absolutely free was the 4th zappa album i bought and when i first heard it i thought WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? i was more used to joe's garage, sheik yerbouti type zappa and AF was a bit of a shock...i'm so glad i persevered with it, the guy at the shop was a massive zappa fan and he told me he was that confident i'd like it that he'd give me my money back and let me keep the cd as well if i didn't like it. I listened to it almost constantly for a week and i came to love it, still do  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:35 pm 

The first FZ album I owned.  Amazing, fantastic, not what I expected, totally and truly Zappa.  Better as years go by.  My pumpkin.  Wow!  Invocation is one of the most unique and wonderful insturmentals I have ever heard.  Who thought at the time of clarinets in rock and roll. Fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:17 am 

I like Freak Out! more than 'quite a bit'. I don't think WOIIFTM was quite as good (not quite enough balance between the instrumentation and satire, but hey- that's just me talking), but it satisfied.<br><br>Absolutely Free was just right. It maintains balance between the first three Mothers albums.<br>I knew how good it was when I realized the songs conveniently stuck themselves in my head.<br><br>It's great for listening to during the summer (I acquired it last summer, in fact), as it yields a lot of nostalgic thoughts.<br><br>I remember being a bit wired (on either caffeine, a lack of sufficient sleep, or both) when I first heard it on Zappa Radio:<br><br>"I hear the sound of marching feet down Sunset Boulevard, to Crescent Heights, and there at Pandora's Box, we are confronted with a vast quantity.. of.. plastic people."<br><br>The ineffectual manner that Frank spoke that in really did it for me.<br>I was laughing.<br><br>The only other first Mothers-era album that I've heard so far (I haven't been assed enough to pick up Ruben & the Jets, and I can't find Burnt Weeny Sandwich) that does this well for me is Uncle Meat, and that's not saying a lot. Maybe it's because of Dog Breath.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:45 am 

Hmmm, hmmmm. Well, I love it, I was obsessed getting it so I listened to sound bits on the net. Finally I got it while being in another town to meet a few friends. <br><br>So, when I got it, I listened through only Plastic people since I borrowed a bit trashed cd-player. But the next day, since I was sleeping over at one of the friends one night, I listened to it again, and SUDDENLY, I got some inspiration for writing. So, I asked for pen and a paper and wrote a song with inspiration from plastic people.<br><br>I was so damn happy, and when I got home I wrote some more stuff and more the following month.<br><br> ;)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:57 am 

Duke of prunes is a diamond. We can feel the fresh air from 67. For The Beatles, 1967 was a golden year, everything was going love through this year for them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:18 am 

My first Zappa album. I was undecided on the album, then got inebriated and listened to it. And it all made sense.<br><br>It's been a mainstay in my top 5 Zappa records ever since. It's too good for words.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:22 am 

[font=courier]I have an obsession with starting with bands chronologically, I refuse to jump around.  So I bought Freak Out!, which was a revelation, and would be irrelevant to bring up, and then I bought Absolutely Free, just hearing Duke of Prunes and Call Any Vegetable was enough for me man, verrry good.  I remember reading a review on progarchives.com that someone wrote for this and it was short and said, "how is this prog?  it's a bunch of guys that can't play anything, like they invaded a middle school bandroom and fucked around, i can't believe anyone let someone record something like son of suzy creamcheese 1 out of 5"[/font]