Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: U.M.R.K
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:13 pm 
Banned

That's a bootleg.

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/bootlegs/live_compilations.html#muffinresearchfromtheutilitykitchen

Quote:
Muffin Research from the Utility Kitchen
  • Various live 1979-1981
  • 980 & 1982 rehearsals in the UMRK truck (?)
  • Snippets from a radio special on Varèse in November 1981 (?)
Label: PHI Beta / Stemra PB 85011 (Phi Beta Kappa is an American sorority, and in the late '60s or early '70s, someone made an unauthorised Zappa poster using a picture of him on the toilet (also unauthorised) and the words "PHI ZAPPA KRAPPA"; Stemra is the Dutch organisation for collection and clearance of copyrights)

Musicians: Various

1. Teenage Wind
2. In France
3. Pick Me, I'm Clean
4. He's So Gay
5. Guitar Solo
6. Instrumental [?]
7. Treacherous Cretins
8. Instrumental [?]

• Tracks 1-5 claim to have been recorded in the UMRK truck; 1 & 3 in "1980" (probably february; they are rehearsal recordings), 2 at 6-Apr-1982, and 4-5 at 20-Apr-1982 (the Crush All Boxes disc in the Mystery Box has some similar, probably identical tracks)
  • Track 6 live in Vancouver 01-Oct-1975
  • Track 7 live in Detroit 25-Nov-1981
  • Track 8 live in Hannover 26-Mar-1979
"Produced by Rob & Nobney for Cornhole Productions" - very charming. The UMRK truck band is listed as Ike Willis, Ray White, Arthur Barrow and "The Drumkit" in 1980, and as Tommy Mars, Scott Thunes, Ray White, Bobby Martin, Ed Mann, Steve Vai and Chad Wackerman in 1982. (According to this, track 5 is not a Zappa solo.) The tracks are bridged by snippets from a radio special on Varèse in 1981.

Don't spend your hard-earned money on this crap.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:02 pm 

I wish that I were more clear on how it is that the ZFT could possibly not make money off the stuff in the vault. ???<br><br>Is it that problematic and expensive to release some of the FINISHED albums, and simple tapes of live shows? I know that they have limited exposure, and that's a problem (tangent: is it so problematic to stock the albums in retail stores?)... I simply wish more was known. I would LOVE to see all things going well for Gail, the family, and the business. I would help them out in any way that is within my means. There IS a demand for the music of course. And it's really something I care about.<br><br>Gail and everyone: Love ya. We wish for all the best. We wish for all the music (is the best). The aeons are closing. The frost is on the pumpkins. Throw us a bone some time when you can.  :-*

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:10 pm 

AS FOR BOOTLEGS (and this means you, Zardoz),<br><br>IF YOU MUST HAVE THEM (and some are worthwhile I recognize), don't give your money to some Ebay fucktard or other seller. Do your research on the Zappa Patio and get a high speed cable connection and download/trade stuff (lossless). You will get MUCH more for your money, and without paying some bootlegger.<br><br>But everyone should buy everything that the ZFT releases before trading all of the MOUNTAINS of unofficial material out there.

Post subject: re: umrk
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:33 pm 

[quote author=enggo_pah link=board=albums;num=1115069767;start=0#9 date=05/06/05 at 21:10:19]...don't give your money to some Ebay fucktard or other seller...[/quote]<br>no argument there, if you have all the official releases; some boots are appealling to packaging fetishists for various reasons<br><br>apocrypha is one of those; the booklet alone is worth the price<br><br>better bid high, zardoz Image<br>

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:07 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=albums;num=1115069767;start=0#1 date=05/02/05 at 21:23:29]I always thought UMRK (Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) was just another randomly chosed fun name coined by this guy Zappa.<br>[/quote]<br>We talked about rock 'n roll no ? so what is UMRK ? no clue for me and what the fuck (is) ?<br>

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:54 pm 

To find out where the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen idea came from, listen to Joe's Garage all the way through. At the very end, Joe ends up working in this place.<br><br>Above and beyond that, and perhaps the song Muffin Man, I don't know of any more etymology/continuity behind the name.<br><br>(but it makes sense... FZ used many utilities to create his music (muffins))