Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:10 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#48 date=08/10/04 at 10:03:52]<br><br>No, you actually got jaypfunk on one of his nicer days.  ;D 8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>LOL<br><br>ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage<br>ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage<br>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:30 am 

[quote author=50 years old and wretched link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#52 date=08/10/04 at 10:22:02]<br><br>It's been fun. Think I'll switch this thing off and give Burnt Weeny Sandwich a listen.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Listen to Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:08 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#55 date=08/10/04 at 10:57:17]<br><br>I have to say that I love Hot Rats, and always have, but I still agree completely with the rest you're saying. Those MOI-albums will always be the most important FZ-albums for me.[/quote]<br><br>I also agree that the MOI albums are very important BUT... you also must realize that with HOT RATS Frank "grew up" in many ways. The song writting and most of all the guitar playing was taken to a whole other level. Not to mention the 16 track recording technology that was used.<br>HOT RATS to me is AS important as any of the MOI stuff for those reasons. To me it's all just FRANK ZAPPA MUSIC! The Best There Is. There is no "better" period, era or band configuration. I like it all equally.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:50 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#58 date=08/10/04 at 12:32:09]But, thinking more about HR... 16 track?  So what?  I think maybe it made the job easier for FZ to accomplish, but I hear no technics used on HR that cannot have been accomplished on previous FZ albums with lesser technology.[/quote]<br><br>hhhmmmmmmmm. Well. If you compare the LP and CD versions you can tell that the technics that he used were very much indeed better at 16 tracks. There is layer upon layer of overdubbage on that record and this can be heard when comparing the LP and CD. Tons of shit either mixed out or in.<br><br>[quote author=Arkay link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#58 date=08/10/04 at 12:32:09]I also don't agree with ya jp that his songwriting grew up.  In a way, it got simpler (though I guess some people might call streamlining an advancement). [/quote]<br><br>I don't think it got simpler at all. Yeah they are not chamber music pieces but still with the amount of parts in the tunes, differant sections and longer lengths of the songs it appears to me that his writting grew into something differant than the old MOI stuff, which to me is progress. <br><br>[quote author=Arkay link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#58 date=08/10/04 at 12:32:09]Most of the tracks are solo vehicles, and I could never consider solo vehicles an advancement in composition.  Sure, FZ solos are air sculptures or instant compositions, but then so are all the other solos on other albums. [/quote]<br><br>The Hot Rats tracks are not 100% solo vehicles at all. They are written out songs with stucture and melodies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:19 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:20 am 

[quote author=Thing-Fish24 link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=60#62 date=08/11/04 at 09:28:30]<br><br>Image[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, relevant post in the thread. That's the end of that then. Ballbag....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:39 pm 

I would have to say Civ Phase III.  I have had it for about 2 years and have listened to it maybe 2-3 times.  <br><br>It's a little much for me.  I'm not really sure why.  Too gray, to o somber, too "Lay me under the greenwood tree, I give up".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:45 pm 

[quote author=toad online link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=60#65 date=08/11/04 at 16:13:14]1. Thing-Fish: Quite simply a horrible album. I've explained in detail on here why I hate it.<br>I think I ever listened thru the whole thing once and the 2nd time I just couldn't take it anymore and turned it off.<br>And I haven't heard it for almost 2 years.<br><br>2. Playground Psychotics: Too much dialogue and Flo & Eddie isn't my favourite period.<br><br>3. Piquantique: It's a good performance but it sounds like it's been recorded through a large drain pipe.<br><br>4. Mystery Disc: A left-over album in the true sence of the word. It ain't bad, it just lacks in compelling material.<br>It doesn't sound as a finished product.<br><br>5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets: It's a fun album but it's a genre-piece. It's a bit too authentic to pull out of the jewelcase very often.<br><br>6. Strictly Commercial: Well, what can I say? For completists only!<br><br>7. Jazz From Hell: I don't know, Synclavier music isn't really my thing, but watch this space. I'm hearing some more on more recent Zappa buys and it kinda starts to tickle.<br><br>8. Uncle Meat: Don't get me wrong here, it's an EXCELLENT album, BUT...... I can't stand it why he didn't release the whole thing on 1 cd!! Why the hell must we listen thru 45 minutes of just plain dialogue with no music? I think Zappa ruined Uncle Meat when it had to be transferred to cd and Tengo Na Minchia Tanta is unrelated and by far the worst musical track on it.<br><br>9. The Yelow Shark: I have to get used to the purely classical stuff yet.<br>Watch this space!  ;)<br><br>10. Bongo Fury: Zappa = genius, Beefheart = talented weirdo. Both go excellent apart from each other, but when taken together the differences become noticeable:<br>With all respect for Beefheart, he just ain't as talented as Zappa is and I feel he's dragging the record down, the musical content isn't as up to par as virtually every other Zappa album, bar some excellent moments ofcourse.[/quote]<br>i agree with most of what you said there, however i love bongo fury...have done since the first time i heard it, i actually think it's pretty under appreciated.  Cruisin with ruben and the jets i also love...i know it's not every zaqppa fan's cup of tea but it has some great songs with well placed observations that aren't apparent on a casual listen and it's just so unexpected as a zappa album, i love this too.  I understand your dilemma with uncle meat but even with the dialogue it's still a CLASSIC in every sense of the word...groundbreaking even, a true masterpiece.   ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:01 pm 

[quote author=toad online link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=60#70 date=08/11/04 at 16:56:21]<br>Did u actually buy it?<br>I mean, I have NEVER seen that one in shops.[/quote]<br><br>I believe you can get it thru Barfko Swill still.  I got mine used thru Half.com.  They won't ship outside the US, though.  Check out EBay, you might find it there.  Not likely you will ever see it in a store.  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:58 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=60#72 date=08/11/04 at 17:48:46]When CP III first was released, in 1994, it was available in stores. At least in Sweden (and I would think, the rest of Europe, too). I bought mine in a photo/video games/cd-store in my little hometown. I knew about the album beforehand, of course, and I had been thinking about how the hell I was going to get hold of it. But, there it was one day! Btw, it was the UK Zappa Records release. Still have it.<br><br>CP III belongs in every home. Dark, sure, but, also beautiful and simply amazing.[/quote]<br>I got my first copy of CP111 in 1995 from a second hand music stall at a market, strange how it ended up in one of these markets so early on i thought but i got it for £7 and i was delighted, unfortunately this cd was broken some time ago but i replaced it with an ebay purchase this time costing £17, i was not so pleased about this price but paid it nonetheless  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:05 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=45#55 date=08/10/04 at 10:57:17]<br><br>And, it doesn't matter how much "better" musicians he had in the 70's & '80s. That's not always what's most important.<br>[/quote]<br>I think that's a problem that I have with a lot of people who rank musicians based completely on their ability to play complex shit.  Call me crazy but I'll take raw emotion over cold professionalism any day of the week.  Sure, it's impressive that Steve Vai can play that fast and accurately, but me, I'd rather listen to someone like Tommy Ionni play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:14 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=15#26 date=08/10/04 at 05:24:02]<br><br>Jazz From Hell is NOT a JAZZ album ya dumb shit!<br>The title is meant to be tongue in cheek.<br><br>That would be like saying that you don't like Bongo Fury cause it has too much bongo playing on it!  ::)[/quote]<br><br>Startin' to know and feel your reputation, callin' me "dumb shit" is almost a compliment! Yes, you're right! I don't like Bongo Fury, because there's too much bongo playing on it!!! ;D<br>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:08 am 

[quote author=toad online link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=60#65 date=08/11/04 at 16:13:14]<br>10. Bongo Fury: Zappa = genius, Beefheart = talented weirdo. Both go excellent apart from each other, but when taken together the differences become noticeable:<br>With all respect for Beefheart, he just ain't as talented as Zappa is and I feel he's dragging the record down, the musical content isn't as up to par as virtually every other Zappa album, bar some excellent moments ofcourse.[/quote]<br><br>I've never been able to get into Capt Beefhearts solo stuff (apart from owning Trout Mask Replica which I don't play...) I've only heard bits 'n bobs. But I think the Bongo Fury album works 'cos I think Frank brings out the best of what the 20th century madman has to offer. Willie the Pimp on Hot Rats shows this in a better light. Maybe I just haven't heard the right stuff by the Captain...... any pointers ??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:19 am 

[quote author=BBSNX link=board=albums;num=1091917453;start=75#77 date=08/12/04 at 07:08:18]<br><br>I've never been able to get into Capt Beefhearts solo stuff (apart from owning Trout Mask Replica which I don't play...) I've only heard bits 'n bobs. But I think the Bongo Fury album works 'cos I think Frank brings out the best of what the 20th century madman has to offer. Willie the Pimp on Hot Rats shows this in a better light. Maybe I just haven't heard the right stuff by the Captain...... any pointers ??[/quote]<br>perhaps i'm a bit biased but i love the captain...i thought safe as milk was a great album as was bat chain puller..... clear spot and the spotlight kid had some great songs on them even if they weren't great albums on the whole but they were still pretty fucking good imo.  I think some of his big instrumentals like the ones that are evident on the likes of the mirror man sessions can be a bit much at times...though other beefheart fans might reckon this is sacrilege.  You either love him or you hate him...i've been hooked since i first heard electricity.  I don't listen to him as regularly as i used to but still enough  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next