Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:45 pm 

timm0 wrote:

that whole 'comeback special' thing he nicked the leather look from Jim Morrison!

Quote:
when did i say jimbo wore an all-in-one.. i just think elvis might have appropriated the leather look from him.

pedant!

Thats the comment I was on about. "nicked the leather look" you didn't specify. I assumed seeing as you were talkin about Elvis and the outfit HE wore and that he'd ripped it from Jim Morrison, that you were referring to his all-in-one suit, seeing as that's what he had on at the time, and not a Jim Morrison type Leather pants white shirt leather jacket combo. Anway I don't care really...think what you must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:20 pm 

1998: Clinton admits Lewinsky affair

President of the United States Bill Clinton has admitted having an inappropriate relationship with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

In a televised address Mr Clinton told the American people that he took full responsibility for his actions.

He said: "Indeed I did have a relationship with Ms Lewinsky that was not appropriate. In fact, it was wrong."

Aides close to the president now hope the confession will bring an end to the investigation into Mr Clinton's affairs, brought by independent prosecutor Kenneth Starr.

Mr Starr's four-year inquiry began as an investigation into land deals by Hillary and Bill Clinton when he was governor of Arkansas.

It moved onto his personal life when Mr Starr began to investigate allegations that Mr Clinton had had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky and then lied about it under oath in a sexual harassment case brought by Paula Jones in 1994.

'I misled the people'

The president's confession follows months of denial. On 26 January this year, Mr Clinton categorically denied having sexual relations with Miss Lewinsky.

Appearing serious and contrite, Mr Clinton told the American people: "I misled people, including my wife. I deeply regret that.

He concluded: "This matter is between me, the two people I love most - my wife and my daughter - and our God."

He said he had not come clean earlier because he was embarrassed but he denied he had asked anyone to lie about the relationship.

He also criticised Mr Starr and the investigation, which so far has cost £25m.

On 6 August this year Ms Lewinsky told the jury that she had an 18-month sexual relationship with the President and that the pair had discussed ways of concealing the relationship.

She also presented one of her dresses as evidence, stating it had been stained with Mr Clinton's semen during one of their sexual encounters.

If it is proved that he lied he faces possible impeachment hearings on Capitol Hill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/17/newsid_4537000/4537597.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:46 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Thats the comment I was on about. "nicked the leather look" you didn't specify. I assumed seeing as you were talkin about Elvis and the outfit HE wore and that he'd ripped it from Jim Morrison, that you were referring to his all-in-one suit, seeing as that's what he had on at the time, and not a Jim Morrison type Leather pants white shirt leather jacket combo. Anway I don't care really...think what you must.

chill out for fucks sake!
and don't be so pendantic about leatherrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
some people really go for it though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:06 pm 

1969: Woodstock music festival ends

Thousands of young people are heading home after three days and nights of sex, drugs and rock and roll at the Woodstock music festival.

An estimated 400,000 youngsters turned up to hear big-name bands play in a field near the village of Bethel, New York state in what has become the largest rock concert of the decade.

About 186,000 tickets were sold so promoters anticipated that around 200,000 would turn up. But on Friday night, the flimsy fences and ticket barriers had come down and organisers announced the concert was free prompting thousands more to head for the concert.

Traffic jams eight miles long blocked off the area near White Lake, near Bethel, some 50 miles from the town of Woodstock.

These people are really beautiful

Dr William Abruzzi, chief medical officer
Local police estimated a million people were on the road yesterday trying to get to Woodstock. They were overwhelmed by the numbers but were impressed by a good level of behaviour.

The festival's chief medical officer, Dr William Abruzzi told Rolling Stone magazine: "These people are really beautiful. There has been no violence whatsoever which is really remarkable for a crowd of this size."

Those who made it to the makeshift venue were treated to performances by Janis Joplin, The Who, Grateful Dead, Canned Heat, Crosby-Stills-Nash & Young, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez and Ravi Shankar.

High and naked

Rainstorms failed to dampen the spirits of the revellers, many high on marijuana, some dancing naked in the now muddy fields.

The main organiser, 49-year-old dairy farmer Max Yusgur, who provided $50,000 and 600 acres of his land, addressed the crowds on the last day of the event.

"You have proven something to the world ... that half a million kids can get together for fun and music and have nothing but fun and music."

There were however two deaths - a teenager was killed by a tractor as he lay in his sleeping bag and another died from a drugs overdose.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/18/newsid_2760000/2760911.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:37 pm 

timm0 wrote:

chill out for fucks sake!
and don't be so pendantic about leatherrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
some people really go for it though..

Me chill out...? That's rich mate. I'm perfectly chilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:29 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Me chill out...?

yeah,elvis/jimbo leathers....it aint no big shakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:49 am 

timm0 wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Me chill out...?

yeah,elvis/jimbo leathers....it aint no big shakes.

Why you make it a "big shake" then? AARRGGHHH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:09 am 

The forum turns 4 today. Adolf Hitler became president of Germany. Bill Clinton is 60 years old. Ian Gillian is 61. John Deacon of Queen is 55. And Dr. Renee Richards is 72, in biological years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:41 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

hahahahahahaha!
what are you on aboot ?

chill out.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:03 pm 

2003: UN envoy dies in Baghdad bombing

A massive bomb has wrecked the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, killing at least 17 people including the UN's chief envoy to Iraq, Sergio Vieira de Mello.
Three floors of the concrete building collapsed in the explosion. Hundreds of people were still at work, and it was an especially busy period since a news conference had just begun.

Rescue efforts to dig out those trapped in the rubble are continuing into the night.

Alice Yacoub, a UN employee, was sitting in the cafeteria when the blast happened.

"Everything came down on our heads," she said. "I can't find my colleagues and I'm worried about them."

'Shattering explosion'

The UN's spokesman at the scene, Salim Lone, was working in his office when the bomb went off.

"There was a huge, shattering explosion. I was working on the computer, the glass in the window blew - the woodwork, everything came out of the roof.

"I ran in to the corridor. Everybody was very severely wounded, very badly hurt, bleeding, people with blood on their face."

A US military spokeswoman said the blast was caused by a truck bomb, possibly in a suicide bombing.

Eyewitnesses said a concrete mixing lorry believed to have been carrying the bomb was parked just outside Mr de Mello's office when it went off at about 1640 local time (1240 GMT).

The highly-respected 55-year-old Brazilian diplomat died after being trapped under rubble for several hours.

He was one of the UN's most experienced envoys, and had been on many of the most sensitive and dangerous peace missions of recent years.

Increased security measures

The UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, said in a statement that everyone at the UN was "shocked and dismayed" at the attack.

"Nothing can excuse this act of unprovoked and murderous violence against men and women who went to Iraq... to help the Iraqi people," the statement said.

The bombing is the latest in a steady stream of attacks by groups opposed to the US occupation of Iraq.

The United Nations has just increased security measures around the Baghdad building in the wake of several recent attacks, including the bombing of the Jordanian embassy 12 days ago in which at least 14 people died.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/19/newsid_3504000/3504255.stm

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:31 pm 

timm0 wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

hahahahahahaha!
what are you on aboot ?

chill out.... :shock:

Leave me alone mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 am 

1968: Russia brings winter to 'Prague Spring'

Dozens of people have been killed in a massive military clampdown in Czechoslovakia by five Warsaw Pact countries.

Several members of the liberal Czechoslovak leadership have been arrested, including Prime Minister Alexander Dubcek.

The Soviet news agency, Tass, claims "assistance" was requested by members of the Czechoslovak Government and Communist party leaders to fight "counter-revolutionary forces".

But in a secret radio address, Czechoslovak President Ludvik Svoboda condemned the occupation by Warsaw Pact allies as illegal and committed without the government's consent.

US President Lyndon Johnson said the invasion was a clear violation of the United Nations Charter and that the excuses offered by the Soviet Union were "patently contrived".

"It is a sad commentary on the communist mind that a sign of liberty in Czechoslovakia is deemed a fundamental threat to the security of the Soviet system," he said.

The Czechoslovak authorities have ordered their vastly outnumbered army not to fight and are appealing to the public for restraint.

Czechoslovakia's abortive path to freedom began when Mr Dubcek, a Slovak, became Communist Party leader in January.

A programme of wide-ranging democratic reforms had been gathering pace in the face of Soviet disapproval and the rebirth of social and political freedom became known as the "Prague Spring".

Resistance

In the capital of Prague today, crowds of people gathered in the streets chanting support for Mr Dubcek and imploring the foreign troops to go home.

Much of the resistance was centred around the Prague radio station. As the day progressed, Czechoslovak youths threw home-made missiles and even tried to take on Russian tanks.

Reports say some tanks and ammunition trucks were destroyed, but Soviet troops responded with machinegun and artillery fire and at least four people were shot dead.

In the Wenceslas and Old Town Squares, hundreds of youths made barricades out of overturned lorries to try and halt the advance.

Soviet and eastern block commanders have now imposed an overnight curfew and are threatening to shoot on sight anyone caught breaking it.

All rail, road and airline routes out of Czechoslovakia have been closed as troops continue to enter the country - now estimated to number nearly 175,000 men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/21/newsid_2781000/2781867.stm

and

1973: 'Bloody Sunday' inquest accuses Army

The coroner presiding over the "Bloody Sunday" inquest has accused the British army of "sheer unadulterated murder".

The accusation came from the Londonderry City coroner, Major Hubert O'Neill, after the inquest jury returned an open verdict on the deaths.

Thirteen people died on 30 January last year when members of the Parachute Battalion opened fire on people attending a civil rights march in Derry.

Another man died later in hospital and 14 others were also shot and injured.

Major O'Neill said there had been no justification for the soldiers to open fire.

He said: "These people may have been taking part in a parade that was banned but I do not think that justifies the firing of live rounds indiscriminately."

He has let his religious and political feelings dictate his decision

Reverend Ian Paisley
But Mr Brian Hutton, QC, representing for the Ministry of Defence told Major O'Neill the inquest had heard only part of the evidence.

"It is not for you or the jury to express such wide-ranging views, particularly when a most eminent judge has spent 20 days hearing evidence and come to a very different conclusion," Mr Hutton said.

Catholic priests who were at the rally gave evidence to the inquest.

They said many of the dead men were unarmed and running away when they were shot.

They also claimed the troops failure to stop firing prevented them from helping the sick and dying.

The MP for Antrim North, Reverend Ian Paisley, has said he will ask the Northern Ireland Secretary for Major O'Neill's removal.

"Mr O'Neill is not fit to be coroner for he has let his religious and political feelings dictate his decision," Mr Paisley said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/21/newsid_2500000/2500321.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:06 am 

1993: Michael Jackson accused of child abuse

Police in Los Angeles are investigating allegations of child abuse made against singer Michael Jackson.

They have refused to give details but it has emerged that two of Mr Jackson's homes were searched at the weekend following allegations of child abuse.

It is reported that the father of one boy befriended by Mr Jackson has alleged the singer seduced the child and performed sex acts with him.

Detectives are said to have interviewed the boy and other youngsters who visited Mr Jackson's Neverland ranch in Santa Barbara.

They include 12-year old actor Macaulay Caulkin, star of the Home Alone films.

'Fair and thorough'

The singer who is currently on tour in Thailand is aware of the allegations and issued a statement through his lawyer, Harold Weitzman.

"I am confident the police department will conduct a fair and thorough investigation and that the result will demonstrate that there was no wrong doing on my part," Mr Weitzman read.

The singer's security adviser, Anthony Pellicano, has said the allegation is part of a $20m extortion plot.

Around 30 such blackmail attempts were made against Mr Jackson each year, Mr Pellicano added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 512077.stm

And

1954: Brazilian president found dead

Brazilian President Getulio Vargas has committed suicide hours after resigning amid a deepening political crisis.

He was found by his son in his private apartments at 0830 local time.

Dr Vargas, who shot himself through the heart, left a dramatic suicide note that was broadcast on national radio just two hours after his body was discovered.

In it he complained his efforts to "liberate" the people of Brazil had been hampered by foreign interests which he blamed for the economic crisis that is gripping the nation.

His letter read: "Nothing remains except my blood. I gave you my life, now I give you my death. I choose this way to defend you, for my soul will be with you, my name shall be a flag for your struggle."

It ended: "I take the first step to eternity. I leave life to enter history."

Attempted murder

The president's death comes at a time of serious unrest in the country.

Inflation is at an all-time high and wage increases are not keeping pace with prices.

Discontent with Dr Vargas came to ahead after the attempted assassination of opposition newspaper editor and Congress candidate Carlos Lacerda earlier this month.

Mr Lacerda, a fierce critic of the Vargas regime, was wounded in the foot during the attack on 5 August and an air force officer was killed, sparking fury among the Brazilian military.

The driver of the getaway car was later arrested and confessed that one of the killers was the president's bodyguard.

President Vargas seized power in the 1930 revolution, dissolved parliament seven years later and banned all political parties and trade unions. He censored the press and suppressed all opposition.

After the end of World War II in 1945 the president yielded to popular demand for greater democracy and was forced to step down by the army.

President Dutra was duly elected but in October 1950 Dr Vargas, now leader of the Brazilian Labour Party, was voted back into the presidency.

Three years on, Brazil's once thriving economy is riddled with foreign debt to the tune of $1,000 million, wages increases cannot keep up with price rises and there has been speculation that the Vargas regime is involved in corruption and dubious business deals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/24/newsid_4544000/4544759.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:17 am 

23rd of Agust, 1984: The Perfect Stranger is released

The Perfect Stranger
Naval Aviation In Art?
The Girl In The Magnesium Dress
Dupree's Paradise
Love Story
Outside Now Again
Jonestown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:09 am 

1944: Paris is liberated as Germans surrender

After four years under German occupation, Paris is now free.

Last night, the French 2nd Armoured Division under General Philippe Leclerc was the first Allied force to enter the city, greeted by loud cheers from Parisians after many days of fighting between the Resistance and the German occupiers.

The new Free French wireless station reported the German commander of the Paris region, General Dietrich von Choltitz, signed a surrender at Montparnasse station in front of General Leclerc and Colonel Rol, commander of the Forces Francaises de l'Interieur (FFI ) in the Paris region.

Colonel Rol praised the Resistance forces that fought the occupying Germans and opened the way for the Allies to enter the capital.

Once Paris had been liberated everyone tried to make up for lost time.

People's War memories »
At 1900 local time, General Charles de Gaulle - leader of the Free French who has been living in exile in London since the Fall of France in 1940 - entered the city.

In a broadcast to the nation from the Hotel de Ville he said: "I wish simply from the bottom of my heart to say to you: Vive Paris!"

"We are here in Paris - Paris which stood erect and rose in order to free herself. Paris oppressed, downtrodden and martyred but still Paris - free now, freed by the hands of Frenchmen, the capital of Fighting France, France the great eternal."

He said the French could now stand up as a great world power and would not rest until the enemy had been defeated on its own territory.

This evening French, American and Senegalese troops marched triumphantly down the Champs Elysee to ecstatic cheers of Parisians, young and old.

But celebrations were brought to a swift halt by sniper fire from German troops and French Fascists.

The battle for Paris is not quite over and tonight, as the French 2nd Armoured Division reached the Porte d'Orleans district in the south of Paris, the FFI are still fighting German soldiers and taking prisoners.

Earlier today, Canadian and British forces joined up with American troops on the left bank of the River Seine south of Rouen.

And on the French coast, Honfleur has been captured by the Allies.

In the south of France, Americans have taken Cannes and Grasse, the capital of the Alpes-Maritimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/25/newsid_3520000/3520894.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:49 pm 

1967: Beatles' manager Epstein dies
The Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, has been found dead at his Belgravia home in London.

It is not yet clear how he died. Friends found his body in bed after his housekeeper raised the alarm.

Mr Epstein, 32, was due to travel tomorrow to Bangor in north Wales to join the Beatles at a meeting of the International Meditation Society.

Paul McCartney and his girlfriend, Jane Asher, drove back to London in a chauffeur-driven car after hearing the news.

'Terrible and stupid accident'

The other Beatles were also returning to London.

Before leaving Bangor, John Lennon said: "Our meditations have given us confidence to stand such a shock."

George Harrison said: "There is no such thing as death, only in the physical sense. We know he is ok now. He will return because he was striving for happiness and desired bliss so much."

Brian Epstein's housekeeper became worried when she did not get an answer after knocking on his bedroom door in the middle of the afternoon.

Friends, who had called round to see him, broke into the room and found him dead. The police were called.

One of his business colleagues, Don Black, described his death as "a terrible and stupid accident".

Another colleague said: "He has been unwell for some months. The reason for his death is at present unknown, but there were no untoward circumstances associated with it."

A concert at the Saville Theatre, London, headed by Jimi Hendrix, was cancelled tonight in tribute to Mr Epstein. He owned the theatre's lease.

Mr Epstein brought a number of singers to fame. Apart from the Beatles, his other protégés included Cilla Black, Billy J Kramer, The Dakotas and Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Mr Epstein discovered the Beatles when they were still performing in blue jeans and leather jackets at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

He encouraged them to smarten up their image, wear suits and stop swearing and smoking in public - in order to broaden their appeal.

In January 1962 the band agreed a five year contract with Epstein, although he refused to sign it, saying their mutual regard for one another was enough.

He got them their first record deal with EMI in October 1962 and by autumn 1963, Britain was engulfed by Beatlemania.

Mr Epstein was a director of Northern Songs, the company which owned the copyright to McCartney and Lennons' songs. He was also a major shareholder in Nems Enterprises, which in turn was a big shareholder in Northern Songs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/27/newsid_3767000/3767499.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:21 am 

1963: King's dream for racial harmony

The fight for racial equality in the United States moved a step closer to victory today as Martin Luther King spoke of his dream for freedom in an address to thousands of Americans.

Martin Luther King's speech was received with rapturous applause

Reverend King was greeted with rapturous applause as he delivered his heart-felt words to a 250,000-strong crowd of civil rights protesters at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.

He spoke of the need "to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice".

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King
He promised that the struggle for equality would continue until "justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream".

Rev King, who has worked tirelessly for an end to racial discrimination through non-violent means, spoke repeatedly of his dream for equality.

"I have a dream," he said. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.

"I have a dream today.

"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be engulfed, every hill shall be exalted and every mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plains and the crooked places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Dr King, who is president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) first came to prominence in 1955 when he led a 382-day bus boycott in an attempt to end segregation on city buses.

Since then he has endured numerous arrests, violent harrassment and a bomb attack on his home.

But his struggle continues and it is believed today's speech will have a lasting impact on all who heard it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/28/newsid_2656000/2656805.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:57 am 

2005: Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans

Hurricane Katrina is pummelling New Orleans with howling gusts and blinding rain, after sweeping ashore over the southern Louisiana coast.

The storm has knocked out power and submerged part of the low-lying city in up to 6ft (2m) of rising water.

Katrina has torn part of the roof of a stadium, where many sought refuge.

Mississippi and Alabama are also being pounded by the violent storm, which weakened as it swept inland, but brought winds of 105mph (170km/h).

The category-two storm flung boats onto Mississippi, flooded roads in Alabama and swamped bridges in Florida.

The National Hurricane Center warned the Louisiana city would be pounded throughout Monday - and the potential storm surge could still swamp the city, which sits some 6ft (2m) below sea level.

"It's capable of causing catastrophic damage," director Max Mayfield warned.

"New Orleans may never be the same."

Correspondents in the city say walls of water have been running down the skyscrapers like waterfalls.

Palm trees have been felled, shops wrecked and cars hurled across streets strewn with shattered glass.

A police officer told the BBC he had never seen anything like it. "This is unbelievable," Jonathon Carol said.

Mayor Ray Nagin has said he believed 80% of the city's 485,000 residents have heeded his order for a mandatory evacuation of the city.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/29/newsid_4947000/4947378.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:12 am 

1997: Princess Diana dies in Paris crash

Diana, Princess of Wales, has died after a car crash in Paris.

She was taken to hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning where surgeons tried for two hours to save her life but she died at 0300 BST.

In a statement Buckingham Palace said the Queen and the Prince of Wales were "deeply shocked and distressed".

Prince Charles broke the news of their mother's death to Princes William and Harry at Balmoral Castle in Scotland where the royal family had been spending the summer.

The accident happened after the princess left the Ritz Hotel in the French capital with her companion, Dodi Al Fayed - son of Harrods owner, Mohammed Al Fayed.

Criminal investigation

Dodi Al Fayed and the vehicle's driver were also killed in the collision in a tunnel under the Place de l'Alma in the centre of the city.

The princess' Mercedes car was apparently being pursued at high speed by photographers on motorbikes when it hit a pillar and smashed into a wall.

Mr Al Fayed and the chauffeur died at the scene but the princess and her bodyguard were cut from the wreckage and rushed to hospital.

The French authorities have begun a criminal investigation and are questioning seven photographers.

Tributes to the princess have been pouring in from around the world.

Speaking from his home in South Africa, the princess' brother, Lord Charles Spencer, said his sister had been "unique".

While it was not the time for recriminations there was no doubt the press had played a part in her death, the earl added.

Hundreds of mourners have gathered at the princess' London home, Kensington Palace and many have laid flowers at the gates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/31/newsid_2510000/2510615.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:40 am 

1939: Germany invades Poland

German forces have invaded Poland and its planes have bombed Polish cities, including the capital, Warsaw.

The attack comes without any warning or declaration of war.

Britain and France have mobilised their forces and are preparing to wage war on Germany for the second time this century.

Just before dawn today, German tanks, infantry and cavalry penetrated Polish territory on several fronts with five armies, a total of 1.5 million troops.

Soon afterwards German planes bombarded the cities. They have been making swift progress in penetrating Polish defences which are heavily outnumbered in artillery, infantry and air power.

The cities of Katowice, Krakow, Tczew and Tunel were attacked with incendiary bombs. Air raids on Warsaw began at 0900 local time.

Communications to Katowice have been broken but earlier reports said German planes were coming over in squadrons of 50, every half-hour, and there have been many casualties.

The German Army struck from Slovakia, East Prussia and from Pomerania into the Polish Corridor and the port Danzig, which has declared itself part of the Reich.

The 4th Army came in from East Prussia at Deutsch-Eylau supported by air raids on cities north of Warsaw. There is heavy fighting reported along the whole of the East Prussian border.

Poznan was attacked from the main body of the German Reich and border towns occupied.

The 8th and 10th armies are moving north-east from Silesia towards Warsaw; and the 14th Army struck from Slovakia towards Krakow.

Warning sent to Germany

The Times newspaper reports that when the air raid sirens in the capital first sounded at 0600 inhabitants reacted calmly and some even ran out onto the streets to look up at the sky and had be driven back inside by air raid wardens.

The unprovoked attack follows yesterday's report on German radio that the border town of Gliwice had been raided by a group of Polish soldiers, who had all been shot dead.

German radio broadcast a list of "demands" never submitted to the Polish Government.

The Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, held a meeting with King George today in Downing Street.

Later this evening Mr Chamberlain told a packed House of Commons that British and French Ambassadors in Berlin had given German Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop an ultimatum.

He was to tell Berlin that unless the Nazis withdraw, Britain and France would fulfil its promise of support to Poland.

Von Ribbentrop said he would refer the message to Adolf Hitler.

US President Roosevelt of the United States has sent an appeal to the governments of Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Poland urging them to announce publicly their determination not to launch air attacks on civilians.

In reply the British and French governments say they intend to confine their bombing to military objectives, so long as their opponents do the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/1/newsid_3506000/3506335.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:44 am 

General September:
Image-----Image----- Image
September 1981 ----- September 1988 ----- September 1996

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:30 am 

2006: Probe crashes into Moon's surface

Europe's lunar satellite, the Smart 1 probe, has ended its mission by crashing onto the Moon's surface in a controlled collision.

It was a spectacular end for the robotic probe, which has spent the last 16 months testing innovative and miniaturised space technologies.

Smart 1 has also produced detailed maps of the Moon's chemical make-up, to help refine theories about its birth.

At 0542 GMT (0642 BST), the probe thumped into a volcanic plain.

With an impact speed of about 7,200km/h (4,500mph), even at a glancing blow of just one degree to the surface, the probe met a sufficiently violent end for telescopes to observe the event from Earth.

Smart 1 was returning pictures as it plunged towards the Moon's Lake of Excellence. Controllers and scientists at the European Space Agency's (Esa) operations centre in Darmstadt, Germany, clapped and cheered after the spacecraft smacked into the surface.

"As planned, Smart 1 has landed," said Professor Bernard Foing, the mission's project scientist from Esa.

The Canada France Hawaii Telescope on Mauna Kea, in Hawaii, captured an infrared picture of a bright flash as Smart 1 hit its target.

"I was really surprised as the flash was very impressive. I was betting on not seeing much," said Gerhard Schwehm, mission manager for Smart 1.

The hope now is that the impact will have kicked up a big enough plume of fresh lunar "soil" for scientists to study its composition using ground telescopes.

The impact was expected to leave a 3m by 10m (10ft by 30ft) crater on the Moon, spreading debris over 80 sq km (30 sq miles).

"We know a lot about the Moon, but there are things we need to know more precisely if we are to embark on ambitious projects like those the US has planned," Dr Schwehm told the BBC News website.

A fleet of spacecraft - both orbiters and landers - are now expected to visit the Moon in the next few years.

This train of robotic explorers will culminate in US astronauts returning to the lunar surface for the first time since the Apollo missions, probably in 2020.

Smart 1 was launched on an Ariane 5 rocket in September 2003 as a technology demonstrator.

It became Europe's first space science mission to use an ion engine instead of chemical combustion to reach its destination.

The system drew power through the probe's solar wings and then used this energy to propel the spacecraft forward by expelling charged particles of xenon. It was highly efficient, covering 100 million km in a series of looping orbits and using just 60 litres of "fuel".

Professor Manuel Grande has been principal investigator on one of Smart's miniaturised instruments: the compact X-ray spectrometer known as D-CIXS.

It has made mineral maps of the Moon's composition, looking at the distribution of calcium, magnesium, aluminium, silicon and iron.

Knowing the absolute abundances of these elements will help to refine theories for the Moon's formation. These describe the satellite emerging from the debris thrown out from a mighty collision between Earth and a Mars-sized body billions of years ago.

"It will take a long time for to work through the detail; the devil is in the detail with the X-ray instruments," said the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, researcher.

"But when we finally put the picture together what we will get is maps of what the Moon is made of."

On Saturday, mission controllers had to raise Smart 1's orbit by 600m (2,000ft) to avoid hitting a crater rim on final approach. Had the orbit not been raised, the craft would have crashed one orbit too soon - making the impact difficult or impossible to observe.

"Smart 1 will now rest in peace on the Moon," said Professor Foing.

"We are now collaborating with the international community, preparing the way for the future exploration of the Moon - the next fleet of orbiters, landers; leading to robotic villages and human bases."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5309656.stm

1939: Britain and France declare war on Germany

Britain and France are at war with Germany following the invasion of Poland two days ago.

At 1115 BST the Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, announced the British deadline for the withdrawal of German troops from Poland had expired.

He said the British ambassador to Berlin had handed a final note to the German government this morning saying unless it announced plans to withdraw from Poland by 1100, a state of war would exist between the two countries.

Mr Chamberlain continued: "I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received and consequently this country is at war with Germany."

Similarly the French issued an ultimatum, which was presented in Berlin at 1230, saying France would be at war unless a 1700 deadline for the troops' withdrawal was adhered to.

I heard this voice saying we were now at war with Germany and at that moment the air raid sirens went

People's War memories »
King George has called upon "my people at home and my peoples across the seas".

He continued: "I ask them to stand calm, firm and united in this time of trial. The task will be hard. There may be dark days ahead and war can no longer be confined to the battlefield. But we can only do the right as we see the right and reverently commit our cause to God."

A War Cabinet of nine members has been set up with two new ministers, including Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty, the post he held at the outbreak of World War I. Lord Hankey becomes Minister without Portfolio.

Anthony Eden will take over as Dominions Secretary with special access to the War Cabinet. Mr Eden resigned from the post of Secretary of Foreign Affairs last year because he disagreed with the policy of appeasement.

The National Service (Armed Forces) Act has been passed making all men between 18 and 41 liable for conscription. The armed forces have already been mobilized for war and in July the first Territorial Army conscripts were called up.

Latest reports from Poland say the Germans have bombed a number of towns and cities, some with little or no strategic importance. About 1,500 are reported to have been killed or injured in the attacks on Friday and Saturday.

In his broadcast to the nation, Mr Chamberlain spoke of his sadness that "the long struggle to win peace" had failed.

He continued: "I cannot believe that there is anything more or anything different that I could have done and that would have been more successful."

Yesterday there was anger in the House of Commons over the Government's apparent delay in taking action against Germany.

Acting Labour Leader Arthur Greenwood had accused the Prime Minister of vacillating when "Britain and all that Britain stands for are in peril".

Today's declaration of war was received with rousing cheers. As Mr Chamberlain informed the House Britain could not take part in a five-power conference proposed by Italy while Poland was being invaded.

It has also been received with great enthusiasm in the Polish capital, Warsaw, where crowds took to the streets outside the British and French embassies cheering and singing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/3/newsid_3493000/3493279.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:55 am 

1940: London blitzed by German bombers

The German air force has unleashed a wave of heavy bombing raids on London, killing hundreds of civilians and injuring many more.

The Ministry of Home Security said the scale of the attacks was the largest the Germans had yet attempted.

"Our defences have actively engaged the enemy at all points," said a communiqué issued this evening.

"The civil defence services are responding admirably to all calls that are being made upon them."

1940: London blitzed by German bombers
The German air force has unleashed a wave of heavy bombing raids on London, killing hundreds of civilians and injuring many more.

The Ministry of Home Security said the scale of the attacks was the largest the Germans had yet attempted.

"Our defences have actively engaged the enemy at all points," said a communiqué issued this evening.

"The civil defence services are responding admirably to all calls that are being made upon them."

A five-storey building, housing civilians, had been hit and there were a number of civilians trapped beneath the debris

People's War memories »
The first raids came towards the end of the afternoon, and were concentrated on the densely populated East End, along the river by London's docks.

About 300 bombers attacked the city for over an hour and a half. The entire docklands area seemed to be ablaze as hundreds of fires lit up the sky.

Once darkness fell, the fires could be seen more than 10 miles away, and it is believed that the light guided a second wave of German bombers which began coming over at about 2030 BST (1930 GMT).

The night bombing lasted over eight hours, shaking the city with the deafening noise of hundreds of bombs falling so close together there was hardly a pause between them.

One bomb exploded on a crowded air raid shelter in an East London district.

In what was described as "a million to one chance", the bomb fell directly on the 3ft (90cm) by 1ft (30cm) ventilation shaft - the only vulnerable place in a strongly-protected underground shelter which could accommodate over 1,000 people.

About 14 people are believed to have been killed and 40 injured, including children.

Civil defence workers worked through the night, often in the face of heavy bombing, to take people out of the range of fire and find them temporary shelter and food.

An official paid tribute to staff at one London hospital which was hit, saying, "They showed marvellous bravery, keeping on until bomb detonations and gunfire made it absolutely impossible."

In the air, a series of ferocious dogfights developed as the German aircraft flew up the Thames Estuary.

The Air Ministry says at least 15 enemy aircraft crashed into the estuary, and in all, the Ministry said, 88 German aircraft were shot down, against 22 RAF planes lost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/7/newsid_3515000/3515708.stm

__________________________________________________________________________________

1822: Portuguese colony, Brazil, declares independence

___________________________________________________________________________________

1973: Over-Nite Sensation is released

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:33 pm 

1986: Pinochet survives rebel ambush

The president of Chile has escaped an attempt on his life in a fierce attack which killed five of his bodyguards and wounded 11 more.

General Augusto Pinochet's motorcade was ambushed by at least 12 rebel fighters as he made his way back from his country home to the Chilean capital.

The Patriotic Front of Manuel Rodriguez - one of the country's Marxist guerrilla groups - are believed to be behind the attack. None of those involved have yet been captured.

The president has declared a 90-day "state of siege" - which gives him sweeping powers of detention and censorship.

The gunmen fired on the presidential convoy with machine guns, rifles, bazookas and hand grenades.

Despite the ferocity of the assault, the driver of the president's armour-plated Mercedes managed to speed back to the leader's residence at El Melocoton.

General Pinochet - who sustained only minor injuries to his hand during the assassination attempt - described the attack to reporters just hours after the attack.

"My first reaction was to get out of the car, but then I thought of my grandson at my side and I covered his body with mine," he said.

This attempt on the general's life comes at a time of increasing political and civil unrest in the South American country.

Amnesty International have said human rights violations in the country are now at the same level as they were before the bloody 1973 coup which brought General Pinochet to power.

This first attempt on the president's life marks an escalation in the scale of opposition to the 70-year old military leader who recently announced he wanted to remain in power for another 12 years.

But General Pinochet told reporters he did not fear his opponents.

"Try to kill me: I'm a soldier, I'm ready," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/8/newsid_2502000/2502983.stm

___________________________________________________________________________________

2006: Protests mark anniversary of Pinochet assassination attempt

Santiago - The 20th anniversary of a failed assassination attempt against former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet was marked by violence Thursday as protestors barricaded a street in the capital and threw a firebomb at a building where a memorial service was held later in the day.

A memorial service for bodyguards killed in the attack took place in the country's military cathedral, and Pinochet's wife used the occasion to say her husband 'has said many times that he asks for forgiveness if he made mistakes.'

Just after midnight on Thursday, unidentified attackers hurled a home-made fire bomb against the military cathedral's side entrances, causing some material damage. But the attack did not prevent the celebration of the memorial mass held there later in the day.

The authorities said that leaflets were found near the church condemning the 'commemoration of the 33-year anniversary of the military coup,' on September 11.

A few hours later, a group of masked assailants improvised a barricade with burning tyres on Alameda Avenue, one of Santiago's main streets, and threw Molotov cocktails at the police, who dispersed the protesters with hydrants.

Pinochet's wife Lucia Hiriart praised the bodyguards who died in the assassination attempt, and said her husband had asked for forgiveness.

'He has said that, if he made mistakes, he asks for the forgiveness of the people who fell, on our side especially, but also among the rivals,' Hiriart said as she left the country's military cathedral, where a memorial service was held in the memory of the five bodyguards who died in the assassination attempt on her husband.

She stressed that they were 'true heroes who fulfilled their duty to save the Chilean president.'

The army did not commemorate the dead soldiers in the place where they died, Cajon del Maipo, about 40 kilometres from Santiago. But the commander in chief of the Chilean army, Oscar Izurieta, did attend the mass.

On September 7, 1986, 21 members of the armed branch of the Chilean Communist Party, Patriotic Front Manuel Rodriguez (FPMR), ambushed Pinochet's convoy as the dictator returned to Santiago from his countryside estate.

The assassination attempt, known as Operation 20th Century, left the general virtually unscathed.

Pinochet's lawyer Pablo Rodriguez said he understood the measures that Chile's secret services took after the murder attempt. About 200 people were arrested, and four of those were found dead and tortured four days after the attack.

'They are not justified, but they can be explained,' Rodriguez told reporters of the measures, adding that the Chilean military may have acted with excessive force in reaction to rebel activity.

Current Communist Party chairman and former FPMR member Guillermo Teillier said in a local radio report that the murder attempt on Pinochet was 'legitimate' and ventured that, had it been successful, it would have 'accelerated' the end of the dictatorship in Chile.

But Pinochet's survival has allowed Chileans to learn of their former leader's responsibility for human rights violations and corruption, he said.

Pinochet is currently being prosecuted in a case connected to secret bank accounts and for the so-called Operation Colombo, staged by the secret service DINA to cover up the killing of 119 leftists in 1974-75.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:12 am 

1973: President overthrown in Chile coup

President Salvador Allende of Chile, the world's first democratically-elected Marxist head of state, has died in a revolt led by army leaders.

One report says the 64-year-old leader committed suicide rather than surrender to the commanders of the armed forces and the paramilitary police.

Air Force planes attacked the presidential palace with rockets and bombs and tanks opened fire after President Allende rejected an initial demand for his resignation.

According to military sources, Dr Allende asked for a five-minute ceasefire in order to resign. But the armed forces said that was impossible because snipers loyal to the president were operating from buildings near the presidential palace.

Economic crisis

At least 17 bombs were dropped in an attack on the palace, one of which scored a direct hit.

Martial law has been declared throughout the country, a curfew has been imposed and the carrying of guns has been banned.

Although Dr Allende called on his followers to support him, there appeared to be little organised resistance.

Troops blasted buildings in the city centre around the presidential palace in an attempt to dislodge pro-Allende snipers. Helicopters repeatedly machine-gunned the top floors of buildings near the British Embassy.

Bullets ripped through the windows of the embassy - but no-one was reported hurt.

Thousands of workers are said to be marching on Santiago from the north, despite a warning any resistance would be met with air and ground fire.

Opposition to President Allende has been growing for months. He was elected to power in 1970 with only 36% of the vote. He has not held a majority in Congress and gradually his authority has been eroded.

His attempts to re-structure the nation's economy have led to soaring inflation and food shortages. A prolonged strike by lorry drivers who opposed his plans for nationalisation has recently been joined by shopkeepers angry they have nothing to sell.

President Allende brought senior army officers into his government last month in an attempt to head off a revolt.

But the final crunch came three days ago when the two major opposition parties called for the President's resignation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/11/newsid_3199000/3199155.stm

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next