* 622 - Muhammad completes his hegira from Mecca to Medina.
* 1493 - Christopher Columbus departs on his second expedition to the New World.
* 1664 - The Netherlands surrenders New Amsterdam to England.
* 1789 - The United States Supreme Court and the position of Attorney General are established.
* 1789 - The United States Post Office Department is established.
* 1841 - The Sultan of Brunei cedes Sarawak to Britain.
* 1852 - The first airship is displayed.
* 1869 - "Black Friday": Gold prices plummet as Jay Gould and James Fisk plot to control the market.
* 1890 - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially renounces polygamy.
* 1903 - Edmund Barton steps down as Prime Minister of Australia and is succeeded by Alfred Deakin.
* 1906 - U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt proclaims Devils Tower the nation's first National Monument.
* 1948 - The Honda Motor Company is founded.
* 1950 - Forest fires black out the sun over portions of Canada and New England. A Blue moon (in the astronomical sense) is seen as far away as Europe.
* 1957 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends United States National Guard troops to Little Rock, Arkansas, to enforce desegregation.
* 1962 - United States court of appeals orders the University of Mississippi to admit James Meredith.
* 1973 - Guinea-Bissau declares its independence from Portugal.
* 1988 - Summer Olympics: Ben Johnson beats Carl Lewis and Linford Christie in 100 metres sprinting in a record time of 9.79 seconds. (Johnson would later be disqualified in a high profile case of doping in sports.)
* 1991 - Nirvana's Nevermind album released
* 1994 - National League for Democracy is formed by Aung San Suu Kyi and various people to help fight against dictatorship of Myanmar.
* 2004 - Hurricane Ivan dissipates over Texas, and heads north into the plains.
* 2005 - Hurricane Rita makes landfall in the United States, devastating Beaumont, Texas and portions of southwestern Louisiana.
* 15 - Vitellius, Roman Emperor (d. 69)
* 1301 - Ralph Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford, English soldier (d. 1372)
* 1501 - Gerolamo Cardano, Italian mathematician (d. 1576)
* 1534 - Guru Ram Das, fourth Sikh Guru (d. 1581)
* 1564 - William Adams, British navigator (d. 1620)
* 1583 - Albrecht von Wallenstein, Austrian general (d. 1634)
* 1625 - Johan de Witt, Dutch politician (d. 1672)
* 1705 - Leopold Josef Graf Daun, Austrian field marshal (d. 1766)
* 1717 - Horace Walpole, British novelist and politician (d. 1797)
* 1724 - Sir Arthur Guinness, Irish brewer (d. 1803)
* 1739 - Grigori Alexandrovich Potemkin, Russian statesman (d. 1791)
* 1755 - John Marshall, 4th Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1835)
* 1801 - Mikhail Vasilievich Ostrogradsky, Ukrainian scientist (d. 1862)
* 1802 - Adolphe d'Archiac, French paleontologist and geologist (d. 1868)
* 1817 - Ramon de Campoamor y Campoosorio, Spanish poet and philosopher (d. 1901)
* 1857 - Richard Mansfield, German-born actor (d. 1907)
* 1870 - Georges Claude, French chemist and inventor (d. 1960)
* 1871 - Lottie Dod, English athlete (d. 1960)
* 1878 - C. F. Ramuz, Swiss writer (d. 1947)
* 1884 - Hugo Schmeisser, German weapons designer (d. 1953)
* 1884 - Gustave Garrigou, French cyclist (d. 1963)
* 1890 - A. P. Herbert, British humorist, barrister, novelist (d. 1971)
* 1890 - Mike GonzÃ¡lez, baseball player (d. 1977)
* 1892 - AdÃ©lard Godbout, premier of QuÃ©bec (d. 1956)
* 1894 - Tommy Armour, Anglo-American golfer (d. 1968)
* 1895 - AndrÃ© FrÃ©dÃ©ric Cournand, French Nobel Laureate (d. 1988)
* 1896 - F. Scott Fitzgerald, American novelist (d. 1940)
* 1898 - Howard Walter Florey, Nobel Laureate (d. 1968)
* 1899 - Sir William Dobell, Australian portrait artist (d. 1970)
* 1900 - Ham Fisher, American cartoonist (d. 1955)
* 1905 - Severo Ochoa, Nobel Laureate (d. 1993)
* 1909 - Gerard CioÅ‚ek, Polish architect (d. 1966)
* 1911 - Konstantin Chernenko, Soviet premier (d. 1985)
* 1912 - Don Porter, American actor (d. 1997)
* 1918 - Audra Lindley, American actress (d. 1997)
* 1919 - Dayton Allen, American actor and comedian (d. 2004)
* 1921 - Jim McKay, American sports commentator
* 1922 - Theresa Merritt, American actress (d. 1998)
* 1923 - Louis Edmonds, American actor (d. 2001)
* 1923 - Fats Navarro, American jazz trumpet player (d. 1950)
* 1924 - Nina Bocharova, Soviet gymnast
* 1924 - Sheila MacRae, Singer, actress
* 1925 - Autar Singh Paintal, Indian medical scientist (d. 2004)
* 1929 - Edward M. Lawson, Canadian politician
* 1930 - John W. Young, American astronaut
* 1931 - Anthony Newley, British actor and singer (d. 1999)
* 1932 - Dominique Michel, French Canadian comedian
* 1934 - Manfred WÃ¶rner, German politician and diplomat (d. 1994)
* 1934 - Tommy Anderson, Scottish footballer
* 1936 - Jim Henson, American puppeteer (d. 1990)
* 1941 - Linda McCartney, American singer (d. 1998)
* 1941 - John Mackey, National Football League player
* 1942 - Ilkka "Danny" Lipsanen, Finnish singer
* 1942 - Gerry Marsden, English singer (Gerry and the Pacemakers)
* 1945 - Lou Dobbs, American journalist
* 1946 - "Mean" Joe Greene, American football player
* 1946 - Lars Emil Johansen, Prime Minister of Greenland
* 1947 - Erik Hivju, Norwegian actor
* 1948 - Gordon Clapp, American actor
* 1948 - Phil Hartman, Canadian actor (d. 1998)
* 1950 - Alan Colmes, American talk show host
* 1951 - Pedro AlmodÃ³var, Spanish movie director
* 1952 - Mark Sandman, American musician (d. 1999)
* 1955 - Riccardo Illy, Italian politician
* 1956 - Hubie Brooks, baseball player
* 1958 - Kevin Sorbo, American actor
* 1959 - Steve Whitmire, American voice actor
* 1961 - Allen Bestwick, Nascar Broadcaster
* 1961 - John Logan, American screenwriter
* 1962 - Nia Vardalos, Canadian actress
* 1962 - Jack Dee, British comedian
* 1964 - Rafael Palmeiro, Cuban-born baseball player
* 1966 - Michael J. Varhola, American author
* 1966 - Bernard Gilkey, baseball player
* 1969 - Shawn "Clown" Crahan, American musician (Slipknot)
* 1969 - Donald DeGrate, Jr., American music producer
* 1973 - Eddie George, American football player
* 1976 - Stephanie McMahon-Levesque, American professional wrestler
* 1978 - Wietse van Alten, Dutch archer
* 1978 - Tarek Saab, American TV show contestant
* 1980 - John Arne Riise, Norwegian footballer
* 1980 - Sabrine Maui, Filipino pornstar
* 1982 - Morgan Hamm, American gymnast
* 1982 - Paul Hamm, American gymnast
* 1989 - Leigh-Anne Choo, Amazing Friend
* 366 - Pope Liberius
* 768 - Pippin the Short, King of the Franks (b. 714)
* 1054 - Hermannus Contractus, scholar (b. 1013)
* 1143 - Agnes of Germany, daughter of Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1072)
* 1143 - Pope Innocent II
* 1180 - Manuel I Comnenus, Byzantine Emperor (b. 1118)
* 1213 - Gertrude of Merania, wife of Andrew II of Hungary (murdered) (b. 1185)
* 1275 - Humphrey de Bohun, 2nd Earl of Hereford, Constable of England (b. 1208)
* 1435 - Isabeau of Bavaria, wife of Charles VI of France (bc. 1370)
* 1494 - Poliziano, Italian humanist (b. 1454)
* 1541 - Paracelsus, Swiss alchemist (b. 1493)
* 1545 - Albert of Mainz, archbishop and elector of Mainz (b. 1490)
* 1605 - Manuel Mendes, Portuguese composer (bc. 1547)
* 1621 - Jan Karol Chodkiewicz, Polish military commander (b. 1560)
* 1646 - Duarte Lobo, Portuguese composer (bc. 1565)
* 1707 - Vicenzo da Filicaja, Italian poet (b. 1642)
* 1732 - Emperor Reigen of Japan (b. 1654)
* 1742 - Johann Matthias Hase, German scientist (b. 1684)
* 1802 - Alexander Radishchev, Russian writer (b. 1749)
* 1834 - Pedro I of Brazil, Emperor of Brazil (b. 1798)
* 1904 - Niels Ryberg Finsen, Danish physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1860)
* 1930 - William A. MacCorkle, Governor of West Virginia (b. 1857)
* 1933 - Mike Donlin, baseball player (b. 1878)
* 1933 - Alice Muriel Williamson, British novelist (b. 1869)
* 1938 - Lev Schnirelmann, Russian mathematician (b. 1900)
* 1939 - Carl Laemmle, German film producer (b. 1867)
* 1945 - Hans Geiger, German physicist (b. 1882)
* 1948 - Warren William, American actor (b. 1894)
* 1975 - Earle Cabell, Texas politician (b. 1906)
* 1981 - Patsy Kelly, American actress (b. 1910)
* 1982 - Sarah Churchill, British actress (b. 1914)
* 1984 - Neil Hamilton, American actor (b. 1899)
* 1991 - Dr. Seuss, American children's writer (b. 1904)
* 1991 - Peter Bellamy, Folk Singer (b. 1944)
* 1993 - Bruno Pontecorvo, Italian physicist (b. 1913)
* 1993 - Ian Stuart Donaldson, British musician (b. 1957)
* 2002 - Mike Webster, National Football League player (b. 1952)
* 2003 - Rosalie Allen, American singer and disc jockey (b. 1924)
* 2003 - Edward Said, Palestinian-born literary critic (b. 1935)
* 2003 - Anthony Durante, American wrestler (b. 1967)
* 2003 - Lyle Bettger, American actor (b. 1915)
* 2004 - FranÃ§oise Sagan, French writer (b. 1935)
* 2005 - Tommy Bond, American actor (b. 1926)
Holidays and observances
* Late Roman Empire - start of the indiction year (at least since the time of Bede)
* Bhutan - Blessed Rainy Day (in 2006)
* In ancient Latvia, the third day of Mikeli, and the only day of the year during which men proposed to their prospective wives.
* Catholic Calendar: Our Lady of Mercy
* Also see September 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
* Guinea-Bissau - Independence Day (declared, from Portugal, 1973)
* New Caledonia - Territorial Day
* South Africa - Heritage Day.
* Barcelona, Spain - La MercÃ¨ the festival for Barcelona's patron saint. A lot of art and musical activities.
* Trinidad and Tobago - Republic Day (1976)
* French Republican Calendar - ChÃ¢taigne (Chestnut) Day, third day in the Month of VendÃ©miaire