Post subject: Led Zeppelin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 am 

Any fans? Anyone ever see them live?

New iPhone / iPad app just out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wePjWNYesGQ

Post subject: Re: Led Zeppelin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am 

Oh hell yes, I'm a fan.

I never saw Zeppelin but I saw Robert Plant (solo), I saw Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes and I saw JPJ with Them Crooked Vultures.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 am 

Yes in LA in the 70's...my wife had a signed John Bonham drum stick he through to her at a show, for years, we often wonder what ever happened to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm 

Was planning to go see them on the In Through The Out Door tour......

Saw Plant at the Greek in LA in 02, saw Page as part of the Ronnie Lane appeal for ARMS at MSG in 82. Plant was great, Page kinda sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:16 pm 

One of the greatest bands ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:48 pm 

had me some Physical Graffiti for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm 

I recently got How The West Was Won and it sparked my interest in them again. I've always been a fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm 

Occultist Illuminati band :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:31 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I recently got How The West Was Won and it sparked my interest in them again. I've always been a fan.

I got the DVDs the day they came out and I remember sticking the first one in "just for 5 minutes because we have stuff to do"......we sat there glued to the TV for hours. Stuff didn't get done.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:23 pm 

Zeppelin was scheduled to tour the US in 1980. They were selling tickets by mail order only and the day they went on sale for the Detroit show, I was waiting at the post office when they opened so I could get my ticket request in the mail as soon as possible. I spent the next few hours running errands and that same afternoon as I was driving home, I remember the DJ breaking into the programming to announce John Bonham's death.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 pm 

I didn't appreciate them enough when they started out. In the last 8-10 years, I've really learned to love them. Those quirky hooks really stand the test of time. Bonham sounds like he's using rolling pins on the set, and Page - as one can see now in HTWWW - - kicked ass.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRJ9_yHiNmg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 am 

I saw Page & Plant for two shows at The Palace of Auburn Hills near Detroit on March 31st and April 1st 1995. There was an incident during the first night that made national headlines.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace ... ls#History

"The Palace was the site of an assassination attempt on Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, while he was on tour, with former band mate Robert Plant, during their "No Quarter Tour". On March 31, 1995, Lance Alworth Cunningham, a 23 year old who thought that Led Zeppelin music contained "satanic messages", tried rushing the stage with a knife. The man waited until the song "Kashmir" started and then made his charge for the stage, while waving the weapon. The man was tackled by patrons and security about 50 feet from the stage."

My buddy and I had side stage seats for the first show with a perfect view of the security tackling the person mentioned in the incident above. Contrary to the account given in the story above, the person actually made it onto the stage from the seating behind it. He made it well past the orchestra next to Jason Bonham and within about 10 or 15 feet from Jimmy Page before he was tackled. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were oblivious to the incident when it happened. For the second night, we had taper tickets near the soundboard. I wish I could say the recording turned out well, but the amount of crowd noise overpowered the actually front of house sound to the point where the band was barely audable. The first night was the better performance of the two. These were the only Zeppelin related shows I witnessed in person.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am 

I saw them in late 1970, in milwaukee, three bands that night, James Gang, Moody Blues, then Led Zeppelin, interestingly the crowd liked the show until the band changed up half way through, they came to the edge of the stage and played acoustic with bonham on bongos, they were doing a few tunes from the upcoming third album. I loved it, but the crowd was having none of it, they booed, and most left!! The band finished up with dazed and confused, about 30 minutes worth complete with violin bow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 am 

I love Zeppelin and they only seem better as time goes by. I had a chance to see a Page/Plant show in '95 but a Jeff Beck (with Bozzio) & Santana show was scheduled around the same time and I had to make a choice budget wise and I chose Beck. Don't regret it. Beck/Bozzio were great and for whatever reason Page seemed to have slipped a bit since Zep folded.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 pm 

Close the door, put out the light....

Big fan of the mighty, mystical,earthy Zeppelin. Will always remain one. The primary band of my early listening experience. Grand Funk Railroad did blow them off the stage a time or two. :wink:

How The West Was One...Seeing all that footage was like opening a long wished for present from a time machine. In 5.1 at with the volume cranked is AMAZING! Thoughfully mixed too.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Post subject: Re: led zeppelin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:35 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Big fan of the mighty, mystical, earthy Zeppelin. Will always remain one.

me too. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:42 pm 

I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but I still think they were a good band. I got all the CDs of their main albums very cheaply about four years ago. I know there are people who hate them for borrowing a lot of their ideas from negro blues, but that's missing the point, they didn't just copy, they still had a very original sound. I mean, look at how much FZ borrowed from various sources.

I got into LZ around the time of their second album. Physical Graffiti was the last of their albums that I bought at the time and went off them a bit when I started getting into FZ big time. I gradually came back to them somewhat when I bought LZ IV and Houses of the Holy on cassette for travelling in the car about ten years back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:01 am 

Houses of the Holy is one of those albums that withstand the test of time like Pet Sounds and Abby Road, they are concept albums that each song flows one to the next and the total parts are a greater sum than they are individually...if that makes any sense?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:50 am 

Plook wrote:
Houses of the Holy is one of those albums that withstand the test of time like Pet Sounds and Abby Road, they are concept albums that each song flows one to the next and the total parts are a greater sum than they are individually...if that makes any sense?

I understand what you're saying and I love that record plook -- it's one of a few I can put it on, either side and before I know it, it's over, I've enjoyed it and I want more.

But where did you hear it was a concept record?

You do this like 50% of the time,
start out with a basic idea most people can accept and by the end show you can't tell the difference between a thought, an opinion and what facts are. It's just confounding. You've done this since you first came here and while you get better at it -- that thing you do -- that facet shows up still. Don't get me wrong, I don't care, it's just a idiosyncratic quirk I guess, and we all have those, it just always strikes me odd. Like 90% of the time you're a regular guy in every way and then if you're seen at just the right angle, there's this mental wart that plops out that just doesn't make sense at all. I could likely chalk it up to teenage drug use or your surfer daze or whatever, no problem. And it doesn't have anything to do with politics or your take on sociology or scientology or ... cosmology. Not at all. If you have any insight about this, sure tell us, and I don't want this to sound like an attack. No. Just curious.

I started out with all the records minus Coda and when they broke up started collecting bootlegs. Their first record I listened to at least once every day of my 17 th year. Saw Jimmy Page in his only solo tour '89 I think (KC Soldier & Sailor's Memorial), JLP was with somebody then I can't remember what or who and I was really drunk at the time, and I got to deliver Robert Plant's water to him backstage when he played in KC 2002(?) -- funny story, he had a special water in his contract at the venue and they had a substitute instead. Not good enough, he wouldn't come to the venue unless that bottled water was there for his tea. A buddy worked for the promoter and saw me there, asked me if I wanted to meet him. So I delivered the water and he didn't recognize me so didn't yell at me -- what the promoter's didn't want once he'd arrived... as I showed up at the door at the same time, with the water he cocked his head and said, "I imagine you want to sing this gig for me, righty?"
He saw my face drop, go south in horror, and as I shake my head, wordless, he said, 'Just put it over there."
I didn't get to thank him for being Robert Plant. Ah well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:56 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
Plook wrote:

I understand what you're saying and I love that record plook -- it's one of a few I can put it on, either side and before I know it, it's over, I've enjoyed it and I want more.

But where did you hear it was a concept record?

You do this like 50% of the time,
start out with a basic idea most people can accept and by the end show you can't tell the difference between a thought, an opinion and what facts are. It's just confounding. You've done this since you first came here and while you get better at it -- that thing you do -- that facet shows up still. Don't get me wrong, I don't care, it's just a idiosyncratic quirk I guess, and we all have those, it just always strikes me odd. Like 90% of the time you're a regular guy in every way and then if you're seen at just the right angle, there's this mental wart that plops out that just doesn't make sense at all. I could likely chalk it up to teenage drug use or your surfer daze or whatever, no problem. And it doesn't have anything to do with politics or your take on sociology or scientology or ... cosmology. Not at all. If you have any insight about this, sure tell us, and I don't want this to sound like an attack. No. Just curious.

I started out with all the records minus Coda and when they broke up started collecting bootlegs. Their first record I listened to at least once every day of my 17 th year. Saw Jimmy Page in his only solo tour '89 I think (KC Soldier & Sailor's Memorial), JLP was with somebody then I can't remember what or who and I was really drunk at the time, and I got to deliver Robert Plant's water to him backstage when he played in KC 2002(?) -- funny story, he had a special water in his contract at the venue and they had a substitute instead. Not good enough, he wouldn't come to the venue unless that bottled water was there for his tea. A buddy worked for the promoter and saw me there, asked me if I wanted to meet him. So I delivered the water and he didn't recognize me so didn't yell at me -- what the promoter's didn't want once he'd arrived... as I showed up at the door at the same time, with the water he cocked his head and said, "I imagine you want to sing this gig for me, righty?"
He saw my face drop, go south in horror, and as I shake my head, wordless, he said, 'Just put it over there."
I didn't get to thank him for being Robert Plant. Ah well.

Many of the confidently quirky things I say may be due to being from LA, growing up there there was a lot more info coming in from all sides, and this was in the 60's, 70's, & 80's when information flow was far less for most than it is now. I just know at the time the ablum came out it was either reviewed in a newspaper or magizine or talked of in an interview as such. The LA times did a great job of covering group and muscian releases, I have not picked it up in almost 20 years, but back then it was a must have everyday to stay on top. I know FZ wasn't happy with a lot of writers in LA and he expressed it well in Packard Goose.

Just like the dust up I had with other forum members concerning Montana being about Tie Weed, that was just common knowledge in LA in the 70's anywhere we went (and being a skater/surfer we got around alot) people knew about that. But then again maybe we all connected the same dots because we we're all smoking so much Tie Stick...lol.

I agree with you completely with HOTH, I keep that in my vehical at all times as any easy go too if I am feeling funky.

As far as Coda goes a guy I know that owns a Used CD store thinks that is their best album, I have it and I don't get it, I seldom listen to it, maybe I should give it another spin. Otherwise I have to chalk it up to different strokes for different folks.

That is great that you had that moment with RP, were you just star struck and could not speak, that happens sometimes.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:18 pm 

no, i don't have a prob with those sorts of things. It was more that he either was making fun of me, or himself, or that he didn't want to be there but knew he had to, but still was pointing out implicitly the distance between us in the situation of star and servant. I'm just bringing the guy water, maybe a bit late but that's not my fault either. But yet, he may not know that. Just an awkward stupid situation. Others that show reported afterwards similar awkwardness with him. And it may not have had anything to do with us collectively or him individually. Just weird. Funny in retrospect.

I still remember great times listening to the bootleg of the early bbc stuff long before it was officially released. Amazing performances.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:10 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I saw Page & Plant for two shows at The Palace of Auburn Hills near Detroit on March 31st and April 1st 1995. There was an incident during the first night that made national headlines.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace ... ls#History

"The Palace was the site of an assassination attempt on Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, while he was on tour, with former band mate Robert Plant, during their "No Quarter Tour". On March 31, 1995, Lance Alworth Cunningham, a 23 year old who thought that Led Zeppelin music contained "satanic messages", tried rushing the stage with a knife. The man waited until the song "Kashmir" started and then made his charge for the stage, while waving the weapon. The man was tackled by patrons and security about 50 feet from the stage."

My buddy and I had side stage seats for the first show with a perfect view of the security tackling the person mentioned in the incident above. Contrary to the account given in the story above, the person actually made it onto the stage from the seating behind it. He made it well past the orchestra next to Jason Bonham and within about 10 or 15 feet from Jimmy Page before he was tackled. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were oblivious to the incident when it happened. For the second night, we had taper tickets near the soundboard. I wish I could say the recording turned out well, but the amount of crowd noise overpowered the actually front of house sound to the point where the band was barely audable. The first night was the better performance of the two. These were the only Zeppelin related shows I witnessed in person.

Interesting story...

This is a very interesting story, Bro... Man, you SHOULD digitize this recording and share it in whatever state it is... It is a HISTORICAL document. Besides, AUD recordings actually give you the idea, the feeling of how the audience reacted to the actual gig.

Man, how cool it is the concept of a Tapers tickets/session! Unbelievable 8)

I don't condone with murder attempt, but the poor sod was partially right [i.e. about him being a "Satanist"]... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:46 pm 

Why do they all have 3 names?

Thanks to this thread I listened to How The West.... again. I really like where they pull out The Crunge in the middle of Dazed And Confused.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 am 

definitely a fan. Saw the No Quarter tour- It was OK. I think Page is a great instrumentalist, but not a great soloist. I have no interest in seeing them now, nor do I think they should even tour. Now, if the fucking Stones would retire...