Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey stupid!
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 am 

Hey man, this shit is about Frank Zappa and Elvis Costello.

These are my two musical heros. I like some musicians and others I don't care much for, but these two guys I adore.

Neither one of them are very cuddly. While others spent their ears on Toto or Aerosmith or Journey or Disco Tex and the Sexolets, I blew mine on Shiek Yer Bouti and Imperial Bedroom.

I could not be happier or more proud about my instinctive choices. Here we are thirty years later, and Frank is still viscerally relevant and Elvis is still moving saintward, appearing this summer at Carnegie Hall.

What say ye to that, Slayer fans? Yeah, I hear Scorpions on the radio all time, but hardly ever Frank or Elvis.

Because they are too good.

It's okay, most people don't understand. They cannot. Thier minds are totally controlled by such a lot of fools trying to anesthetize the way that we feel.

Anywhat, I think it would be cool if Elvis got with ZPZ or something. He just put out a "hip hop" recording with The Roots, and it's pretty slick, especially for us long time fans. Elvis has collaborated with many, many musicians. I wonder what he could do in world of Frank.

So, that's all I wanted to say and I wanted to see who would click on a thread entitled "Hey stupid!"

I'm the biggest winner in all of rock fandom.

Frank-n-Elvis forever!

Post subject: Re: Hey stupid!
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:35 am 

I only listen to the Javanese form of music called gamelan, which is for smart people. Not the dumb putzes that listen to Zappa or Costello. Everybody knows that you should listen to music only to measure your intelligence.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 am 

why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click why did i click (...)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:15 am 

When I saw "Hey Stupid" I thought of the '80's Alice Cooper record "Hey Stoopid". Actually, I think it's kind of interesting that FZ and EC are your two favorite artists. I like EC too but kind of lost interest after the first three albums - I've bought a few others over the years but none of them had the impact of those first three. What would you recommend? I wonder if EC likes FZ.

It's worth noting that another angry young man of New Wave that I like even more than EC, Joe Jackson, loves Zappa and was playing King Kong in a jazz band prior to his popular success. I think you can also find Joe on YouTube somewhere playing Dirty Love on the piano.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:49 pm 

I like the way Elvis passed himself off as punk/new wave in the early years. I particularly like the show that Suicide opened for Elvis in 1978 in Brussels, which caused the Elvis fans to riot. I also get a kick out of Elvis' Grateful Dead cover Ship Of Fools. His blaxploitation records are funny, too. When he does Reggae it's hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:13 pm 

My sincere apologies to dear BBP.

Elvis has passed himself off in a lot of different genres. As for later gems it depends on what you like. If you like Country, try The Delivery Man. If you like Rock and Roll songs, When I Was Cruel. A good mix of both on Momofuku at a bargain price. If you like Classical, The Juliet Letters (with the Brodsky Quartet), or Il Sogno, performed by The London Philharmonic or some such. His collaboration with Burt Bacharach, Painted from Memory, is supposed to be coming out as a Broadway production soon.

The thing about Elvis is the thing about Frank...he can do it all, and he's in a position to do it. His collaboration with The Roots, Wise Up Ghost, is only the latest example of his chutzpah. I want to see him more in jazz now, or some new shit, man, some new shit!

Yep, I bought Joe Jackson's first two records and still enjoy the music...I found a cassette of Look Sharp that works real good so far so I've heard it lately. I was definitely a New Wave fan, Graham Parker's pretty cool, too...and don't forget this was the beginning of the rock video craze and MTV so it was all nice and primitive. I like that, and I liked some Punk, but being into Frank at the time was like being into something completely different, not Rock not Disco, but all of everything piled up.

I don't know that Elvis has ever said a word about Frank, but I did read that Frank said he liked the "little guy with the glasses". I think Frank's music is the kind of thing Elvis could seize upon for a short while, and squeeze out a little more juicy twisty gnarly.

I'm not sure if it's a measure of intelligence, but that is what I have implied I'm sure, because I'm sure. It's not like I suffered for these guys, I just always liked their music and have come to love them. I am also a fan of others, but not like these two, and they have worn well so I'm feeling good about myself and my long-term prospects, which will soon hopefully require a slot machine.

O yeah, Elvis got drunk one night in Tulsa when he was young and called Ray Charles a "blind nigger". It's true. Everybody heard it. He also uses the epithet in a song or two. He has apologized many times and is mostly forgiven, but we never know, he could be the next Hitler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j05ONxF6BOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzo7d2A_e34

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:57 pm 

Thanks. That was a pretty good appreciation of EC and made me curious about some of those records. I just always liked the guy too from when I would see him on talk shows. Smart and witty guy for sure.

I remember that Ray Charles thing from way back. The way I remember him explaining it he was drunk at a bar talking music with Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett and he just wanted to say something to really piss them off because he wasn't too fond of them. I remember an Elvis quote about Delaney and Bonnie already riding the coattails of one EC to fame.

Joe Jackson's also touched on a lot of different styles. Steve Vai played on a couple of his records to make another Zappa connection. One was a classical record and the other was a recent Duke Ellington tribute. He also wrote a very good musical memoir. I can't remember the name of it but I think you can get it real cheap used from amazon.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:53 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
...I hear Scorpions on the radio all time...

Where do you live? One of those god-awful red state hell holes that gets leveled by a tornado every fifteen years?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:12 am 

The only things I know about Costello is that he is called Elvis and married with Diana Krall...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 am 

Oliver's Army is here to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 pm 

Your know, I was scared to click on this because I saw that Jaypfunk had posted. I figured I was really in for it! Thanks for being kind!

There's an Elvis cover band out of Texas called "Oliver's Army". That song is one of his "hits", but they never play it on the radio. That's because Elvis is too good for radio.

His real name is Declan MacManus. His father was an old-timely British band leader. His father recently died. Growing up with a father like that made him the natural that he is.

I do live in one of those state where tornadoes seek out and destroy small Baptist communities.

Anyway, thanks for your interest! Pick up a copy of Momofuku today! You'll be glad you did!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 am 

Elvis is king ! I like all of his albums and the ones he did with other legends - Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint for example.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:17 am 

Hey Fritz, those are two great recordings that feature Elvis' vocal talents. It think he was nominated for a Grammy for his vocal work on River in Reverse, the Toussaint collaboration.

A lot of folks think Elvis' voice is awful, and I guess it does sound a little gruff, but I challenge anyone to sing his songs as well has he does. His voice may not be beautiful, but he knows how to use it!

Painted from Memory is supposedly coming to Broadway. I hope it's huge hit.