Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed May 25, 2016 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Synclavier today…?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:51 pm 

What about the Synclavier today? Is it still in production?<br>Questions, questions…

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:38 am 

Their digital.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:48 am 

I think it was New England Digital who were behind the Synclavier but they went bust in the early 90's.<br><br>So no, no longer in production but there is a group of users who occasional update the software for it.<br>It's still an amazing machine and they still sell 2nd hand for big bucks.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:25 pm 

The Webclavier by Synclavier Digital
From the inventor of the Synclavier

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-webclavier-by-synclavier-digital--2#/

Quote:
The Synclavier®
Cameron Jones, co-inventer of the Synclavier®

Nearly 40 years ago, my friend Sydney Alonso and I invented a musical instrument that revolutionized the music industry. Right now, today, we are on the edge of some exciting new technology that promises equally radical change - and that technology is HTML5 and the Web Audio API.

Frank Zappa spent the last 10 years of his life composing music on my instrument; for that I am honored. Artists of his generation spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on studio equipment to help them realize their musical ideas. When the Web Audio API goes mainstream later this year, every iPhone, every computer, even every web page, will have the power of the largest Synclavier® Digital Audio System ever built.
What Is The Webclavier™

The Webclavier™ Virtual Musical Instrument will be a port of the original Synclavier® II Real Time Software to Javascript. It will be compatible with all modern browsers. This exciting new musical instrument will allow teenagers and adults alike to begin their exploration into the fascinating world of FM Synthesis and Sound Design.

You can try out our Webclavier™ prototype right now at synclavier.com.

But the Webclavier™, to me, is more than that. A dream, a vision of the future. Yes the Webclavier™ will begin as a web page where you can design FM sounds, record short Sequences, save them and share them with friends. But maybe, someday, it will grow into a complete social site for FM Synthesis aficionados. Young enthusiasts could share and swap their favorite new FM Timbres and Sequences. Learn. Share. Create. "Faceclavier"?
Why am I Crowdfunding on IndieGoGo?
(Photo of Frank Zappa composing on his Synclavier® II, 1980's)

To me, the Webclavier™ is a neat idea. But, you know, maybe it is just too crazy; too far out. Maybe it should go the way of Ask Jeeves before I spend a decade flogging a dead horse. Perhaps it is too cerebral for a modern web audience that just wants to click from page to page without learning the difference between an Attack and a Decay.

That's where you can help me. Yes I need some funds for a hosting service, and some legal and marketing services. But mostly I need some associates and backers that share my vision, are willing to take a risk, and want to help me evaluate my insane ideas through their own reality filters.

And I also need backers that are forthright and honest enought to tell me, in the words of Kenny Rogers, "Know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away".

(Kenny Roger's Lion Share recording studio had a very large Synclavier® installation that was included in it's studio rental)

Use of Proceeds

I don't need funds to hire a technical staff, at least not right now. I can complete the software port to Javascript during September and October. The initial release will be a simple FM Synthesis implementation and will not include Timbre Frame Synthesis. But it will embody the Synclavier®'s Partial Timbre Method and have the look and feel of the Webclavier™ Prototype. And, of course, it will make some down-right wicked cool sounds!

What I do need funds for are a few outside professional services:

Trademark registration and legal fees.
A professional-grade hosting service.
Some limited marketing and advertising services to get people to notice and to try the working App.

My initial Trademark Application has been accepted and is listed in the United States Patent Office Principal Register. Additionally, the "webclavier.com" and "faceclavier.com" domain names have been secured.
Your Perks

Perhaps your most important Perk will be your chance to be part of this movement going forward. If it flops, we'll be friends and you can say we tried. Maybe, however, I'll have 10,000 sign-ups the first month. Then I get to start a real business. I'll need a technical and support staff, maybe a reprentative on Wall Street to prepare the IPO. Then on to equity funding. Interestingly, this all sounds vaguely familiar... as if, maybe it happened once before... hmmm...

So there you have it. $5.00 will get you a card from the Inventor. $25.00 will assure you a spot in our supporters' Hall of Fame and will also include a subscription to the the Webclavier™ paid services (saving Timbres and Sequences). $50.00 gives you all of the above plus that much off our new 100% authentic Synclavier® II VST Plugin. Want to join the team? $75.00 to be a Beta Tester, $500.00 a Strategic Partner.

Thanks for reading, and Welcome Aboard!