Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RACISM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:06 am 

We don’t get much television here I’m too cheap. We watch a lot of the GRIT Network off the broadcast antenna they show a lot of John Wayne.

My gal’s daughter has a baby son. Her boyfriend is kind of a flake he just sees himself as a baby daddy I guess. She’s been staying down here with us because his flakiness turned supreme and she needed to get away. She’s already got a job here at Steak-n-Shake.

John Wayne was on the other morning and she said to me did I know John Wayne was a racist?

Well I said no shit. She’s in her twenties so I guess she didn’t realize so I told her that back then all white people were racist, and that the system was inherently racist, if not by design then by application.

She looked at me with that look I’ve seen so many times on the modern young. It almost says I want to know but I don’t want to learn.

I explained to her that the history of the United States was the history of a pale but savage race of forgiven white Christians. These folks came mostly out of Europe, after having used their arts and crafts and sciences to build up a rather sophisticated civilization that most of the time kept the food separated from the feces.

They were very good at creating systems, I told her.

Commercials came on so I hit the mute and described to her how these people were more than happy to come over here and perform their magic on virgin lands. When they got here they encountered a more natural race of persons that were completely different from them so they had to kill them. The early history of the United States, I said to her, is the history of invading white folks conquering and oppressing the native race of natural human beings so that white folks could go on with their systems and such in the new land.

They stole it she said. I said they fought them, killed them, ran them off and took their lands and built up their cities and systems and named a lot of stuff after them. It’s okay because they saw themselves as forgiven by the one true god, and America is nothing without the freedom to believe in any kind of crazy shit like that.

Then I said they had the nerve to import natives of a whole other continent to be slaves for them. The southern agricultural areas used these folks quite a lot to do the back-breaking work that was cotton farming. I reckon they couldn’t get the original natives to do it said I.

I said to her it was awful but white folks were the ones with the buildings and the boats and the animal husbandry, not to mention the one true god. Why does a dog lick his balls?

I don’t know she laughed. She’s a simple child.

Well when I take my baby down to WalMart I see some folks looking pretty… you know sideways squinteyes…but not everybody. He’s so cute yes him is.

We’ve come a long way I said it used to be very separate even just a few decades ago. A lot of people smoked cigarettes, too. We live and learn though it’s hard to believe. She returned to her device irritated.

I turned the sound back up John Wayne giving some cowhand a piece of his ass. John Wayne was a racist and pretty much everyone in the movie was a racist I said. They weren’t really all that conscious of it, it just seemed to be the natural order as the god intended. It isn’t that much different today.

I said it’s mostly white people running the Western world but their world is a poison piece of shit. Technology is death. Enjoy the end.

Post subject: Re: RACISM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:17 am 

Condensed version, plz my nigga.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:37 am 

First rope you need to go to the library and read........ history..... you either paid no attention in school or most likely had poor teachers you in your 40's? Or was that rant a shot at humor and as for maps .............................wtf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
First rope you need to go to the library and read........ history..... you either paid no attention in school or most likely had poor teachers you in your 40's? Or was that rant a shot at humor and as for maps .............................wtf

So sayeth our self-appointed scholar. :roll:

It's to laugh! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:22 am 

man you need an education also, RL posted a fractured fairy tale, in my opinion .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 pm 

Rock 'n roll music was never written or performed ... for the taste of a conservative individual.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:03 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

This could mean many things, MB. I'm not familiar enough with your philosophy to know where you're coming from. But I'm pretty sure you like Fred Sonic Smith, and that's enough to win my confidence and trust.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:12 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 pm 

^ Racist!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:57 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

This could mean many things, MB. I'm not familiar enough with your philosophy to know where you're coming from. But I'm pretty sure you like Fred Sonic Smith, and that's enough to win my confidence and trust.

*chuckle I've got some truth to deliver.That image(from The Rocky and Bullwinkle show 1959-1964) is the first thing to spring to my mind when Bravo mentioned fractured fairy tale. Great show. You are 100% correct about my fan appreciation of Fred Sonic Smith and the MC5. Based on that, I'd buy you a sandwich and a beer.

Rock 'n roll music was never written or performed ... for the taste of a conservative individual.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:19 pm 

Come on!!! John Wayne wasn't a racist!!!! He was a Nazi!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 am 

Recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 am 

There I was thinking it was about the Oscars...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:47 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

My post of the picture, above, has apparently gone over some heads. If not, why no other comment?

This is Edward Everett Horton, the narrator of Fractured Fairy Tales.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:00 pm 

There was also this...

Attachment:
download (5).jpg

I enjoyed the show back when I was a child.

Good ol's Hans Conried. Not hard to imagine him being racist, eh?

I was also taught history in the public school system. I think I got the facts basically correct, but I've always had my own interpretation, which is what education is supposed to be about. To me it is apparent that the white race is empirically savage, and I don't mean it in a passive way. The biggest wars ever were for and about white people. White folks still pretty much stalk the globe looking for trouble, especially the Americans.

I also have my own interpretation of what it is to be a racist. Han Conreid might not have been a practicing white supremacist, but he didn't exactly quit show business over the separation of the races evident in the industry, either.

It's easy to look back at history and say all those white folks were racist. It's not like the majority of them were out for blood. They were born into the world as a member of a race that fairly dominated and went to churches that reinforced the notion that this was the way it was supposed to be. Things have changed a lot in the last fifty or so years, but most of the business and government burden is still the white man's load. I think this is due mostly to what has become known as white privilege, which generally just means the boss hires his own.

One thing that has become evident in the past few decades is that the notion of racial superiority is an invalid concept. Human beings as individual specimens are fairly equal. It's the consequences of birth and the the randomness of opportunity that decide our places in the world. There are still groups that expose the virtues of one race over another, but they have waned considerably, not only because racism has become morally incorrect, but the idea of racial superiority has been shown to be solid bullshit.

Attachment:
hqdefault (3).jpg

No comments on style or creative effort? I thought I was really in the zone on that one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:14 pm 

If you're lookin' for celebrity racists, how about this beloved star of a very influential TV show?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:24 pm 

I wasn't looking for celebrity racists but it does sound fun.

This is what Wikipedia says about old Walter there....

During the 1960s he became convinced that the anti-war and civil rights movements were being run by overseas Communists from China and the Soviet Union, and said as much in interviews. He told reporters that he believed the civil rights movement—in particular, the riots in places like Watts and Newark and demonstrations in Birmingham, Alabama—had been the result of otherwise content "Negroes" being stirred up by a small number of "troublemakers" with anti-American agendas. He reportedly expressed glee on the set of his final series The Guns of Will Sonnett upon hearing the news that Martin Luther King, Jr., had been assassinated. In 1972, he supported the presidential campaign of ultra-conservative California Congressman John Schmitz over that of Richard Nixon, whom he believed was too moderate.

Thought Nixon was moderate!

I was quite young in 1968, but I recall a sort of muted glee in my old man when MLK got shot. From what I could tell, it was much the same next door and next door and so on where I lived. My old man wasn't all that upset when the Kennedys bought it, either. Archie Bunker was quite real as far as I was concerned.

My old man was unabashed. He went around in WWII and had developed plenty of blunt opinions about all types of people. He was proud of his English "high breeding", even though we were lower middle class at best. The lower class white folks still sometimes cling to the belief that it is somehow better to be white than any other race. This is directly related to the near-monopoly whites have in business and government.

Attachment:
archie-bunker.jpg

He was a dock worker.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:25 am 

This is aimed at no-one...
I wasn't around when the McCarthy communist witch-hunts were going on.
But it does sound similar to the current 'racist' witch hunt mentality I see a lot nowadays.
Someone criticises Islam - racist!
Someone draws a religious cartoon - racist!
Someone says immigration needs controlling - racist!
Someone sends a christmas card - racist!
Half the people (not here per se) crying racism are either looking for a fight, don't really understand what racism is, and / or are hypocrites if you scratch beneath the surface.
Racism is deplorable, but being hypocritical about it is not good either.
And these hypocrites will end up silencing the moderate middle ground, giving extremists on both sides the loudest voices.
TT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:18 am 

A rope leash wrote:

During the 1960s he became convinced that the anti-war and civil rights movements were being run by overseas Communists from China and the Soviet Union, and said as much in interviews. He told reporters that he believed the civil rights movement—in particular, the riots in places like Watts and Newark and demonstrations in Birmingham, Alabama—had been the result of otherwise content "Negroes" being stirred up by a small number of "troublemakers" with anti-American agendas. He reportedly expressed glee on the set of his final series The Guns of Will Sonnett upon hearing the news that Martin Luther King, Jr., had been assassinated. In 1972, he supported the presidential campaign of ultra-conservative California Congressman John Schmitz over that of Richard Nixon, whom he believed was too moderate.

I was quite young in 1968, but I recall a sort of muted glee in my old man when MLK got shot. From what I could tell, it was much the same next door and next door and so on where I lived. My old man wasn't all that upset when the Kennedys bought it, either. Archie Bunker was quite real as far as I was concerned.

My old man was unabashed. He went around in WWII and had developed plenty of blunt opinions about all types of people. He was proud of his English "high breeding", even though we were lower middle class at best. The lower class white folks still sometimes cling to the belief that it is somehow better to be white than any other race. This is directly related to the near-monopoly whites have in business and government.

Attachment:
archie-bunker.jpg

He was a dock worker.

All in the family was SATIRE , & Brilliant acting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:19 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
A rope leash wrote:

Attachment:
archie-bunker.jpg

He was a dock worker.

All in the family was SATIRE , & Brilliant acting

All in the Family was satire, and it began a good conversation in lots of American living rooms. That show premiered when I was 16.

Walter Brennan? He was just an ignorant bigot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:05 pm 

It may have been acting, but the character of Archie Bunker was based on examples like my father and most of the grown men I knew when I was young. All in the Family scored well because the humor was familiar to many ordinary Americans as the humor of their own home. If anything, Archie Bunker was a very tame character as opposed to the viscous shit my folks would laugh about in the privacy of our house.

White folks still talk shit when black folks aren't around.

Some anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:12 pm 

I had a relative insist to me that black people weren't human. He had a black granddaughter that he refused to acknowledge. He stayed away from us for awhile because we insisted that he not use the n word in our house. I know lots of people around here that are worse or not quite as bad. It's just mind-boggling shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:00 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I had a relative insist to me that black people weren't human. He had a black granddaughter that he refused to acknowledge. He stayed away from us for awhile because we insisted that he not use the n word in our house. I know lots of people around here that are worse or not quite as bad. It's just mind-boggling shit.

Thanksgiving dinner must have been loads of fun.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:06 pm 

Racism is preety big in my country, but it's mostly aimed to poor people. A lot of guys say "we got to burn the villas" (super-poor neighbourhoods) and all that kind of shit. Negro (nigger) is a very used word by most people with good salaries. And no one really knows if the police killes one of them once in a while.

10 years ago there was a case where a poor 16 year old guy who got killed by the police apparently because he refused to rob for them (a fairly common thing in Argentina) and the body was found 2 months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:57 pm 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Racism is preety big in my country, but it's mostly aimed to poor people. A lot of guys say "we got to burn the villas" (super-poor neighbourhoods) and all that kind of shit. Negro (nigger) is a very used word by most people with good salaries. And no one really knows if the police killes one of them once in a while.

10 years ago there was a case where a poor 16 year old guy who got killed by the police apparently because he refused to rob for them (a fairly common thing in Argentina) and the body was found 2 months ago.

That's very interesting waka.
Conversely, if I said exactly the same about Argentina, I'd be shot down as a racist.
I'll try it on a different thread - that one SB and DB inhabit...
TT