Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:46 pm 

I'll have to plead the Fifth.... Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:30 pm 

i know a guy who came to the u.s.of a.from bulgaria in the late 70's to escape the soviets....he's a good natured educated bloke & i love debating politics with him....he thinks's he's come full circle, because out of all the freedoms he didn't enjoy in bulgaria, he could always smoke anywhere he wanted to....now he's outraged that you can't even smoke in bars in this town, & some nimby wanted to ban smoking in your own backyard if the smokes wafts across the fence into a neighbor's backyard....at any rate, he was a heavy smoker, ended up quitting because of the hoops to be jumped thru just to light up a fag, but he's still against any form of control over personal vice...<br><br>hey, it's the 20[sup]th[/sup] century...whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it, <br>so long as it doesn't cause a murder...fz[sub] from j.d.p.hats[/sub]<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:48 pm 

well this is a good one  - you know that the anti-smoking fascists base all their arguments on very very spurious dodgy pseudo-science - there is no real evidence for the supposed ill effects of so called passive smoking - i shall do some work on this one , but im on a friends laptop rite now so yer shall have to wait - i hate em - the fascist jobs worth mothers - fuck em all<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:47 pm 

I love tobacco; I love sitting in a bar,<br>talking drinking and smoking with my friends;<br>I love smoking driving slowly in a motorway <br>by night; I love smoking  watching the stars<br>and thinking of my past like an old man.<br>I know that it's no good for my health but<br>that's a pleasure, like wine, like food, like music,<br>like sex... that's life; maybe I will die for this,<br>maybe not but;anyway think that our life is in the past, in the things that we did... we don't own nothing<br>'bout our future; if I will die I will lose nothing<br>because all the things I know and I've seen are in my past.<br><br>Mizzu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:07 am 

I hate smoking. I don't hate smokers but I do hate the fact that they smoke. It's kinda upsetting for me to watch somebody fill their lungs with crap, I don't like it.<br><br>You know there are about 1000 poisons in cigarettes. That's 999 more than there is in rat poison.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:53 am 

[quote author=6stringmaniac link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=0#12 date=03/27/03 at 11:14:26]<br><br>Any questions....[/quote]<br>Yes: what are these? (eh eh eh!)<br><br>Ok, ok but I don't think that same organs by no-smokers look better outside the body (eh eh eh eh!)<br><br>Ciao<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:33 am 

people inhaling it. It does.<br>I played guitar in a crowded club filled with smokers and the place had the kind of ventilation that works one day out of two if we were lucky. We were doing 6 sets of 30 minutes, starting at 21h00, with breaks of 30 minutes in-between. I clearly remember that some nights I had to talk a 15 minutes walk outside in my breaks to get a bowl of fresh air cause my eyes were burning in their orbit. And I tried to wash them with cold water but it was useless. I had more trouble breathing. It was getting more difficult to sing in tune with a voice not ressembling the guy who just woke up. And I grew tired more easily. I was feeling physically not at my best after a night at the Smoker's Club. It was easier for me to catch a cold, and more difficult to get rid of it. Not to mention that my clothes were smelling really bad. <br>I don't want to complain cause I knew where I was and I accepted it if I wanted to make some money. My point is that  it's stupid to say that second-hand smoke don't affect people nearby ! . No need to read big books about it or do Internet searches. And unless a place is equipped with an excellent ventilation system, smoking section affect non-smoking one. It's as relevant as a peeing section in a swimming pool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:35 am 

It's stupid to say that second-hand smoke don't affect people nearby people inhaling it. It does.<br>I played guitar in a crowded club filled with smokers and the place had the kind of ventilation that works one day out of two if we were lucky. We were doing 6 sets of 30 minutes, starting at 21h00, with breaks of 30 minutes in-between. I clearly remember that some nights I had to talk a 15 minutes walk outside in my breaks to get a bowl of fresh air cause my eyes were burning in their orbit. And I tried to wash them with cold water but it was useless. I had more trouble breathing. It was getting more difficult to sing in tune with a voice not ressembling the guy who just woke up. And I grew tired more easily. I was feeling physically not at my best after a night at the Smoker's Club. It was easier for me to catch a cold, and more difficult to get rid of it. Not to mention that my clothes were smelling really bad. <br>I don't want to complain cause I knew where I was and I accepted it if I wanted to make some money. My point is that  it's stupid to say that second-hand smoke don't affect people nearby ! . No need to read big books about it or do Internet searches. And unless a place is equipped with an excellent ventilation system, smoking section affect non-smoking one. It's as relevant as a peeing section in a swimming pool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:40 am 

I have asthma. Grew up in a family of heavy smokers (about 6 packs per day for parents and older sister), never smoked myself.<br><br>Second-hand smoke inhalation now brings on asthma attacks, sometimes severe in nature (like having to be rushed to an emergency medical facility). Not anything I want or enjoy, but there it is. <br><br>You wanna smoke, go ahead. I'll just move out of your area as quickly as possible. Please don't be offended.<br><br>Just another story in this great big world in which we live.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:02 pm 

Image<br><br>I'm dead against... smorking, what the hell's smorking?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:00 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=15#15 date=03/27/03 at 12:35:13]It's stupid to say that second-hand smoke don't affect people nearby people inhaling it. It does.<br>I played guitar in a crowded club filled with smokers and the place had the kind of ventilation that works one day out of two if we were lucky. We were doing 6 sets of 30 minutes, starting at 21h00, with breaks of 30 minutes in-between. I clearly remember that some nights I had to talk a 15 minutes walk outside in my breaks to get a bowl of fresh air cause my eyes were burning in their orbit. And I tried to wash them with cold water but it was useless. I had more trouble breathing. It was getting more difficult to sing in tune with a voice not ressembling the guy who just woke up. And I grew tired more easily. I was feeling physically not at my best after a night at the Smoker's Club. It was easier for me to catch a cold, and more difficult to get rid of it. Not to mention that my clothes were smelling really bad. <br>I don't want to complain cause I knew where I was and I accepted it if I wanted to make some money. My point is that  it's stupid to say that second-hand smoke don't affect people nearby ! . No need to read big books about it or do Internet searches. And unless a place is equipped with an excellent ventilation system, smoking section affect non-smoking one. It's as relevant as a peeing section in a swimming pool. [/quote]<br>Agree agree agree agree; and agree with arcee too!<br>I'm a smoker (maybe you've understood! eh eh eh) and if a non-smoker asks me to turn off my sigarette in a public place, I turn it off... if someone ask me to move, I move myself... everywhere I turn it of, if non-smoker is polite with me... everywhere except for open spaces and my home. Smoking is one of my habits, is one of my pleasure but my main pleasure is live togheter with people respecting each other. Is not a question of cancer, is a question of "living togheter"! City's air is awful but is not 'cause of smokers... city's air is awful 'cause of oil, economy, power of money... as Zappa said smoking is like eating! I can do it without being a criminal, obviously I have to be carefull; tjere's an edge in everything!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:14 pm 

I WANT to quit,it's just that when I try,I become the biggest PRICK you'll ever know.I know it's not good for you,but when things get sketchy,I go reaching for that butt....It sux,and I wish I never,ever started.<br> >:( >:( >:( >:(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:30 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=15#22 date=03/31/03 at 09:08:46]<br><br>What do non-smokers expect? To live forever?<br>[/quote]<br><br>no, to live better - it's a "quality of life" issue <br><br>but the whole smoking discussion is one of Public Health as well as individual health, and that's the sticking point of this discussion<br><br>plus, there's a whole lot of passion thrown in for good measure, just to keep things on edge<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:06 pm 

it appears that second hand smoke also  causes dental cavities in under fives - <br><br>www.numberwatch.co.uk<br><br>then enter , number of the month , march 2003 , repent or meet thy doom<br><br>mungo<br><br><br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next