Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:53 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

This is known as Stephan's Quintet. Noone knows why Stephan is so happy...

This one cracks me up...The scene in the Virgo cluster....I made it round cuz this is exactly how it frames in the round eyepiece glass.

It's pretty bright, you look down to draw a bead on the eyepiece, and your telescope is smiling back at you....

Here's a wide field of the scene, (I can't see anywhere near this wide, I can see about double the width of the face in my lowest power eyepiece)...viewing the scene piecemeal makes sorting out galaxys difficult, (plus everything's reversed from the maps in my scope):

This is part of the area called "Heartbreak Hill" because it's hard to pick out the Messier objects from the NGC's. A lot of beginner backyard astronomers use the Messier List to get an introduction to their star hopping skills, (in your second year you are seeing things that you looked right through the year before). In the early days (1800's), comet hunters wanted a list of all the unidentified fuzzy blobs in the sky (nebula, galaxys, star clusters, etc, shit they didn't know what it was), so they wouldn't track them over time to see if they moved, as comets move. This guy Messier compiled a list of things which turned out to be generally the brighter galaxies. Much later, New General Catalog listed the ngc's as telescopes got better and people found more things not on the original Messier list.).

Backyard astronomers usually want to sort out the Virgo cluster, they usually face it after doing a lot of work to find the other hundred and something Messier list objects....all the other galaxy's really fuck up the show....here's why they call it Heartbreak Hill...just the M objects please :cry:

M84 and M86 are "the eyes" in the above face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:23 pm 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 am 

We’ve Got Water On Mars, Let’s Find Life!

COMPLETE ARTICLE HERE

"The Mars Lander’s mission on the fourth planet from the Sun is a dream come true for many scientists who have been trying for decades to prove that there is indeed water on Mars, and that where there’s water, there could be life.

NASA’s Phoenix lander recently discovered chunks of bright materials near the surface of the planet, which at a first glance appeared to be ice. Mission investigators were convinced: could it be anything else?

At the time, the answer would have been yes, as some feared those could have been in fact salt deposits. However, their complete disappearance in just days after they had been uncovered made it clear: it was water ice, as scientists confirmed last week."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:03 am 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:24 am 

baddy wrote:
We’ve Got Water On Mars, Let’s Find Life!

COMPLETE ARTICLE HERE

"The Mars Lander’s mission on the fourth planet from the Sun is a dream come true for many scientists who have been trying for decades to prove that there is indeed water on Mars, and that where there’s water, there could be life.

NASA’s Phoenix lander recently discovered chunks of bright materials near the surface of the planet, which at a first glance appeared to be ice. Mission investigators were convinced: could it be anything else?

At the time, the answer would have been yes, as some feared those could have been in fact salt deposits. However, their complete disappearance in just days after they had been uncovered made it clear: it was water ice, as scientists confirmed last week."
I hear Universal laughter, coming from space, let's waste some more money on this crap, or maybe 7 billion on saving salmon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:05 am 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:53 pm 

... Image ..mwuhahaha ... Image, we were haWÊNG ey lark..

hmsPACE-vid, now fully expandable. How is it with the well-known and better be left alone obscure rest of the universe?

"Eh, not too good." - "Why then?" - "I cannot complain."

Phanks for postin', abcinnia & toodle-hoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 pm 

Mondstar wrote:
... Image ..mwuhahaha ... Image, we were haWÊNG ey lark..

hmsPACE-vid, now fully expandable. How is it with the well-known and better be left alone obscure rest of the universe?

"Eh, not too good." - "Why then?" - "I cannot complain."

Phanks for postin', abcinnia & toodle-hoo.

I wonder, can I use the "same" translator program for Mondstar as I do for Trendmonger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 am 

.and i'm marveleenuh since when i can talk japaneez...

Ney, this one is easier: when having posted me le"er i looked up all of Baddy's as well and then stumbled upon !.) the map with 'Comet or effectually Coma of Berenices', got the impression to know a little more and found that is the hair of a queen. http://www.dibonsmith.com/com_con.htm

Now the fur-raising bit: instantly when having been reading plus enjoying it all, went on to throwing out my view through the window and beheld a vereeee rare field-, meadow- hedge- and hen-harrier, snatched that great gadget of a binocular with which one can watch starlings so to say, fair enough and wreally weird, it carried with it a circa 1 & 1/2 foot long strand attached to the body, no lie nor a strapping from a falconer. Since then the quite massive bird has returned a few times and has lost whatever stalks, halms, spire or wire.

..what time is spacin'...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 pm 

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar space - 11billion miles away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2159359/Humanity-escapes-solar-Voyager-1-signals-reached-edge-interstellar-space.html