Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm located at the south end of the north island, weather permitting I'll be watching through approved eyewear.

I gotta crash now,but how long is it visable down there? We should see it for 6hrs,with the best viewing from 6pm to the exit of Venus,just before sunset around 8pm PST.How about you Grey Roast? (that will make you a grey ghost ) :wink: Ah,too tired! 8)

Mate the planet Venus will be passing in front of the Sun from 10.15am to 4.43pm local time tomorrow. They reckon the best place in NZ to see it will be the lower south island, so if I miss it I'll have to wait until 2117. ( I'll be a head in a jar by then)

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 am 

3:06 pm on the west coast of california, Mr.GG should have traveled to Apocalypse Island the best viewing point in South America... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 pm 

Plook wrote:
3:06 pm on the west coast of california, Mr.GG should have traveled to Apocalypse Island the best viewing point in South America... :smoke:

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
My heart is broken :cry: , just learned that I won't be able to watch the Transit of Venus, one of the rarest predictable astronomical events (a couple of times around every 243 years). If you do see it, please take a picture...:

The Galopagos Islands would be a very cool place to catch it.From where Mr.GG lives that would be like us flying in our lear jet to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun. :wink: That and it's over the Andes,scary in any commecial airliner ta-boot!....the horror...the horror.Hungry anyone? No flies on Franco! Hell,no flies this high,no how,no way. :shock:
You watchin' from your house Plook or are you still down south?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm 

An Alice Cooper snake was killed by a rat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:03 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
An Alice Cooper snake was killed by a rat.

In 1977, Alice Cooper's pet boa constrictor was fatally bitten by a rat it was being fed for breakfast. Cooper held a public audition a week later in Los Angeles to find a replacement for the snake, which was featured in his act.

Alice Cooper has revealed how his pet snake escaped only to turn up in country singer Charlie Prides' toilet. Alice has an exotic collection of pets and after several weeks living in the sewers and feasting on rats, his lost pet popped up fat with rodents and shocked the country star.

Alice recalled: "I always had a lot of snakes - they had a habit of getting lost in hotel rooms!"
He continued: "I had one called Julius Squeezer who got lost for two weeks once. I put her in the bath, then closed the door. "I went back in and she was gone, what I didn't realise was that it was a new hotel so they hadn't put lids on the toilets yet. She went straight down the toilet and into the plumbing.... appearing two weeks later in American country music singer Charlie Prides' toilet!
."I'm not sure if he was doing his business or shaving or what, but I still hear about that to this day! Her head was as big as my hand. Snakes can live in the plumbing you see, they live on the rats, so she was having a great time."

Alice is so much fun...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
My heart is broken :cry: , just learned that I won't be able to watch the Transit of Venus, one of the rarest predictable astronomical events (a couple of times around every 243 years). If you do see it, please take a picture...:

The Galopagos Islands would be a very cool place to catch it.From where Mr.GG lives that would be like us flying in our lear jet to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun. :wink: That and it's over the Andes,scary in any commecial airliner ta-boot!....the horror...the horror.Hungry anyone? No flies on Franco! Hell,no flies this high,no how,no way. :shock:
You watchin' from your house Plook or are you still down south?

Well, that was a bust.....the sun was not visible in Wellington today just clouds and rain, oh well there always next time.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 am 

Oh, rats...

Anyone seen Venus go across the sun?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Oh, rats...

Of course! I could see it with some of my old x-rays (really small) and across the street in the park/ExploritTM Science Center,the astronomy club of Davis had 4 scopes up.The 12" one you could watch it move over sun spots.Real bitchin'man! I spent a couple of hours talking with the astronamers and watching Venus transit through the scopes.Everyone,especaily the kids,were all humbled by it.You could tell when someone took thier first look by the ooooh's and aaaah's when they first saw *The Transit of Venus*.

Sorry for your luck guys.That's twice in two weeks I've seen a celestial event that was just perfect.Beautiful man! 8) :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 am 

Clouds here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:04 am 

BBP wrote:
Clouds here.

Bummer.It was beautiful with the right equiment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:19 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Oh, rats...

Of course! I could see it with some of my old x-rays (really small) and across the street in the park/ExploritTM Science Center,the astronomy club of Davis had 4 scopes up.The 12" one you could watch it move over sun spots.Real bitchin'man! I spent a couple of hours talking with the astronamers and watching Venus transit through the scopes.Everyone,especaily the kids,were all humbled by it.You could tell when someone took thier first look by the ooooh's and aaaah's when they first saw *The Transit of Venus*.

Sorry for your luck guys.That's twice in two weeks I've seen a celestial event that was just perfect.Beautiful man! 8) :D

I am glad for you Bro. Your report of kids and people enjoying it, made it up for me. 8)

These events, the alignment of Sun, Venus and Earth happens in pairs, eight years apart and then only happen again two centuries later. This one was the second of the pair. Next time for us all, only in a new reincarnation...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:11 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Oh, rats...

I took a quick look, but all I saw was a bright flash. Then, for the next half hour, a purple circle and streaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Oh, rats...

I took a quick look, but all I saw was a bright flash. Then, for the next half hour, a purple circle and streaks.

Ouch! You should have your No-D Glasses on...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 am 

Now the clock is ticking one more eclipse on Nov.13th and then its on to the end of the long count... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Oh, rats...

You got glasses right in front of you jpd!... That happend once and I had the ol spot infront of everywhere I looked for 10 minutes.Out damn spot!
It really was impressive and the kids just plain doug it for it's *wow* factor! Sorta like we just plain doug jpd,for his *wow* factor :wink: :mrgreen:

I was talking to a 93yrs young lady,a 30 something dad,mom and three kids 12,9 and 6 and even teens 16-19 that drove there! All the generations were there in force.Amazing twice in a life time event.(if your lucky) Very humbling and very cool. 8) :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

I saw Venus Williams crossing the sun on Conan O'Brien.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:59 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Oh, rats...

Ouch! You should have your No-D Glasses on...

NASA | SDO's Ultra-high Definition View of 2012 Venus Transit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9rM8ChTjY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:25 pm 

Awesome Mr.GG, just think all the tools at our disposal and the Mayans did their calculations (if we believe historians) using line of site viewing... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm 

I get the NASA news letter and they have links to all these really bitchin' computerized flicks of the universe around us.Thanks Mr.GG,really cool! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm 

I learned about Zappa Radio today and now I am not so sure but some of it was good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:03 am 

A Pepper's Ghost is often referred to as hologram, but they're different things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:40 am 

I had to look up wiki for pepper's ghost:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 am 

Thanks to De Efteling, I know what they are.

There's a volcano in The Netherlands. A VOLCANO! In The Netherlands! It lies in the Waddenzee and has been inactive for 14 million years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:37 am 

BBP wrote:
A Pepper's Ghost is often referred to as hologram, but they're different things.

I'm more of a Lemon Pepper guy... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 am 

A Plimsoll mark on a cargo boat indicates the maximum load capacity for various water types. Since water density varies by temperature and amount of salt, a boat has multiple maximum capacities.
The mark was named after Samuel Plimsoll (1824-1898), an MP from Derby, who fought hard to get the Unseaworthy Ships Bill passed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next