Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:18 am 

Hello there,<br><br>This is my first post on this forum. I hope you people are able to help me out.<br><br>First of all I am a Zappa fan who has approx. 50 'original' albums on CD (And a few on vinyl). I hate piracy.<br><br>Right, I've never really understood what a bootleg is. I always thought it was a recording from a concert recorded without the artist's permission. These would then be sold on the black market. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. From what I've seen recently on Zappa sites, there are many 'bootlegs' being sold legelly on CD. How does this work?<br><br>The reason I got onto this was because a friend send me an mp3 FZ bootleg (Let's drink some bear and hear FZ) and tells me he has a load more of them. I didn't ask where he got them from. Am I legally allowed to have this recording or does this make me as bad as some pirates out there? Also any more information on this concert would be appreciated.<br><br>I look forward to your replies.<br><br>Regards<br><br>Blueroly

Post subject: Re: Bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:18 am 

Well, I don't know the specific legalities of these bootleg CDs (which are often found even in legit record stores). I don't like piracy either.<br><br>I do know that many of us enjoy TRADING recordings of shows, whether they were originally bootlegs or just private recordings, keeping THAT music alive, hearing it, etc. It is IMMENSELY rewarding, especially for FZ since he did so many unique things in concert. The ZFT can't release all of it.<br><br>I wouldn't feel bad about listening to them. I wouldn't necessarily give anyone money for them either though.

Post subject: re: bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:46 pm 

a bootleg is an unofficial recording not sanctioned by the artist, with no money going to the artist; bootleggers who sell their stuff on ebay or anywhere else are pirates...guys who pay money to bootleggers are chumps; at least these days they are...som is available free like on kur's weekly boot, the big note & zappa.hu<br><br>before p2p filesharing, the only way to get more material on your favorite artist was to buy bootlegs, but the sound is usually shit... the majority of bootleg buyers had all the official releases anyway in cd & vinyl...now legit record stores sell bootlegs as collectors items more than anything, that's why original copies of some vinyl bootlegs go for big bucks, especially if they have a booklet, or colored vinyl<br><br>you're probably not legally entitled to own bootlegs because they're unauthorized...but nobody's gonna rat you out to the fbi<br><br>as far as this site goes, while there's no rules & no moderators...out of respect to gail zappa, trading is not really done here, there's plenty of p2p sites for that...occaisonally the odd booted track is posted here for conceptual continuity<br><br>zappa was one of, if not the most bootlegged artist ever...for a taste, get a couple of the zappa beat the boot albums<br><br>check out the zappa patio for everything there is to know about fz named boots<br><br>check out fzshowsfor everything there is to know about fz bootleg concerts<br><br>or, download zappabase<br><br>that should keep you busy for a bit

Post subject: Re: bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:00 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=general;num=1117473512;start=0#3 date=05/30/05 at 15:46:02]before p2p filesharing, the only way to get more material on your favorite artist was to buy bootlegs, but the sound is usually shit...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Nah. People traded by mail and in person, of course. Still do. And if the bootleg sounded like shit, it's likely there are much better sounding copies 'out there' (I mean the 'taper' and the bootlegger were often NOT the same person)

Post subject: re: bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:08 pm 

[quote author=enggo_pah link=board=general;num=1117473512;start=0#4 date=05/30/05 at 16:00:05]Nah. People traded by mail and in person, of course. Still do. And if the bootleg sounded like shit, it's likely there are much better sounding copies 'out there' (I mean the 'taper' and the bootlegger were often NOT the same person)[/quote]<br>that's true, but there's a limited quantity of bootleg purists who've had all the tapes for years & they got nothing better to look forward to but searching for that ultra-elusive 1[sup]st[/sup] gen copy of a 25 year-old cassette ripped to outrageously large flac files that take 11 days to download<br><br>but seriously blueroly, you got 50 zappa albums...get the other 25, then get the 15 or so beat the boots, then get all the vinyl...once you've absorbed the official catalog, start collecting the boots seriously<br><br>only had 1 boot in my collection for years; an original wax flags on vinyl...it was the shits as far as sound goes, the only other one purchased was leatherette, mainly because of the artwork & the only one worth spending money on is apocrypha to get the cool 45 page booklet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:48 am 

Guys, <br><br>Thanks for your comments. I now know what a bootleg is and feel my conscience is clear when listening to them.<br><br>Anyone got any information on a bootleg called 'Rare and Cool'. Once again I've been sent it by a friend but would like to know a little more about it. I have searched the usual sites but cannot find a thing.<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:41 am 

This was selling (along with the AHoy radio show from Rotterdam AKA "Dutch Courage") at a Large Franchise CULTURA store in Bordeaux.

They can get away with this ??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:48 am 

Yeah there has been a few EuroCunts pressing CDs right from Zappateers downloads. Unfortunately that one is prob from my tapes of that show. Assholes!!