Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Documentaries
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:47 am
Posts: 14
Location: Oslo, Norway
I've been watching some fascinating documentaries lately, and it would be interesting to get some recommendations from the good people here at the forum. The last couple of weeks I've seen the following:

- The War on Democracy
- The God Delusion
- Jesus Camp

So, further recommendations are most welcome. This may be the wrong place to ask, but if anyone know any "conservative" films that are of value, it would be great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
I'd say any of the alex Jones films make for real conservative commentary. I personally think the Police State videos are some of his best, Police State 2 specifically. American Dictators: the 2004 staged election is also excellent. All free on google video.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13642
Location: Billy, the mountain...
The Corporation:

Image

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3969792790081230711

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
yes, the corporation is an excellent documentary.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:00 am
Posts: 1747
Fuck Alex Jones. I've lost all respect for that man and his work.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
How come? I don't agree with everything he does, or his methods, but he is an excellent dispenser of news in my opinion.


Just finished watching Zeitgeist, ultimately it's a lot better than any of Alex's movies, and I think does a much better job of exposing the federal reserve than freedom to fascism in only a small section of this film. Draws a lot together and is very well produced. A complete must see.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... &plindex=0

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13642
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Another good Canadian documentary:

The Take:
Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_take
___________________________________________

Another good documentary a fellow forumer redirected me to was this one:

Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Unreasonable_Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgA-UAi5RDs (trailer)

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:00 am
Posts: 1747
FOWL wrote:
How come? I don't agree with everything he does, or his methods, but he is an excellent dispenser of news in my opinion.


You've got to read/watch his articles so critically, and check every quote so thoroughly, that its just not a pleasant experience. His cherry-picking tendencies are abysmal. I'd rather watch CNN.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 6098
Location: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Streetwise is a great documentary. also check out Kurt and Courtney

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:47 am
Posts: 14
Location: Oslo, Norway
Thanks for the suggestions so far :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
king wrote:
FOWL wrote:
How come? I don't agree with everything he does, or his methods, but he is an excellent dispenser of news in my opinion.


You've got to read/watch his articles so critically, and check every quote so thoroughly, that its just not a pleasant experience. His cherry-picking tendencies are abysmal. I'd rather watch CNN.


You have to be totally critical when taking in information from EVERY source. Jones is unabashadley biased, and I respect that. I prefer journalism that wears it's colours on it's sleeve as opposed to one that feigns a phony non-biased viewpoint while scientifically crafting how each argument is presented to subconciously produce the proper response in the reader. I happen to agree with much of what Jones and his team discuss, doesn't mean I believe every word blindly, but he's closer to writing about the reality of our society than any other source I've found.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:00 am
Posts: 1747
FOWL wrote:
king wrote:
FOWL wrote:
How come? I don't agree with everything he does, or his methods, but he is an excellent dispenser of news in my opinion.


You've got to read/watch his articles so critically, and check every quote so thoroughly, that its just not a pleasant experience. His cherry-picking tendencies are abysmal. I'd rather watch CNN.


You have to be totally critical when taking in information from EVERY source. Jones is unabashadley biased, and I respect that. I prefer journalism that wears it's colours on it's sleeve as opposed to one that feigns a phony non-biased viewpoint while scientifically crafting how each argument is presented to subconciously produce the proper response in the reader. I happen to agree with much of what Jones and his team discuss, doesn't mean I believe every word blindly, but he's closer to writing about the reality of our society than any other source I've found.


BBC and the Economist are fairly good. I used to be quite the Alex Jones fan until I realised it was mostly tin-foil-hat conspiracy crap. Alex Jones has no credibility, and credibility is important with regards to political issues.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
I'm interested in what changed your mind as to the validity of his journalism? As in, why did it seem plausible one day, and not the next? I've done a lot of research into a vast area of various areas and I've come across some REAL tin foilies, and Alex Jones is certainly not one of them! While his opinion of where everything is heading is always the worst case scenario, the reporting he does is fully backed up by real sources. I've validated all his claims that I had issue with in independant research. While I believe things aren't quite as bad as he does, he's in no way off his rocker with where he is coming from.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13642
Location: Billy, the mountain...
king wrote:
BBC and the Economist are fairly good.


An explicit example of what FOWL has describe abouve, you can see HOW MUCH BBC IS BIASED in the case of the Florida Student in the Kerry Debate. The first news report said he was contained because he asked why Kerry didn't contest the 2004 elections. But actually they've lost their line when the Student asked him if he was a member of Skull and Bones. No tin foil hat on this one, just plain filtering of information...

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13642
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Since young Isaac is a filmmaker I think he will enjoy watching this recent documentary:

ENDGAME

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:25 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
FOWL wrote:
I'd say any of the alex Jones films make for real conservative commentary.


Do NOT watch ANYTHING Alex Jones made. It is all conspiracy theorist propaganda.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5811
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
i recently watched jordan maxwell's, The Truth About The Jesus Myth. The full documentary is available on youtube. he makes some very valid points, many of which the movie zeitgeist picked up on.

I prefer this guy to alex jones as his views seem a lot less biased and motivated by personal gain than jones'. alex Jones is a right wing lunatic and god freak and his racial, political and religious beliefs are always going to blinker his views.

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:36 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Maxwell#Theories

Maxwell also believes that his research reveals a secret society which controls government and major religious institutions in concert with organized crime. This secret society, he believes, practices ancient Caananite religion in secret and is revealed through various Caananite symbols used by government, religious institutions, and even Hollywood (like Spock's "live long and prosper" hand gesture as a masonic gesture stemming from the Jewish priestly blessing).

Wow, this guy is pure crazy on a stick.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5811
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
Isaac wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Maxwell#Theories

Maxwell also believes that his research reveals a secret society which controls government and major religious institutions in concert with organized crime. This secret society, he believes, practices ancient Caananite religion in secret and is revealed through various Caananite symbols used by government, religious institutions, and even Hollywood (like Spock's "live long and prosper" hand gesture as a masonic gesture stemming from the Jewish priestly blessing).

Wow, this guy is pure crazy on a stick.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]


i never said i believed everything he said, only that he makes some very valid points. Which i firmly believe he does, particularly about the relationship of organised religion and astrology....i don't believe in astrology or god, neither does he as far as i am aware. However, there are undeniable links between them in a structural and evolutionary capacity.

Incidentally, wikipedia is not the most reliable place to get your facts.

I find it far more ridiculous to believe that jesus was a real man, when there is absolutely no historical records of his existence. There were many historians around at his time and not one of them even mentioned him once. The two people who suppoesedly mentioned him, josephus and someone i can't recall were both proved to be forgeries that were added to their scripts at least 300 years after they were written.

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
Watched the first segment of End Game on youtube today, had to stop myself as I want to wait until I get the DVD in. Looks amazing.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:29 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
[size=0]Isaac[/size]

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Last edited by Isaac on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5811
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
Isaac wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
Incidentally, wikipedia is not the most reliable place to get your facts.


It has citations, so it's more reliable than information some guy got from a talking dog across the street from an extraterrestrial crack house run by Karl Rove's half-ghoul cousin. :roll:

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I find it far more ridiculous to believe that jesus was a real man, when there is absolutely no historical records of his existence.


There is evidence that Jesus existed, but there is absolutely no evidence that he was the son of God, or that God exists in the first place. Jesus was simply a man, no more, no less (and the various claims of 'miracles' performed by Jesus is absolute bullshit). So, the guy might not have been Christianity's Jesus, but he did exist. And he was a black Jew, a fact denied by racist religious fanatics who attempt to paint white gentiles as mankind's 'perfect people'.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]


show me one piece of tangible evidence that jesus existed as man or son of god

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
Isaac wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
Incidentally, wikipedia is not the most reliable place to get your facts.


It has citations, so it's more reliable than information some guy got from a talking dog across the street from an extraterrestrial crack house run by Karl Rove's half-ghoul cousin. :roll:

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I find it far more ridiculous to believe that jesus was a real man, when there is absolutely no historical records of his existence.


There is evidence that Jesus existed, but there is absolutely no evidence that he was the son of God, or that God exists in the first place. Jesus was simply a man, no more, no less (and the various claims of 'miracles' performed by Jesus is absolute bullshit). So, the guy might not have been Christianity's Jesus, but he did exist. And he was a black Jew, a fact denied by racist religious fanatics who attempt to paint white gentiles as mankind's 'perfect people'.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]


show me one piece of tangible evidence that jesus existed as man or son of god

If the bible says it IT MUST BE TRUE!

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:45 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
[size=0]Isaac[/size]

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Last edited by Isaac on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5811
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
Isaac wrote:
FOWL wrote:
If the bible says it IT MUST BE TRUE!


:roll:

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2163&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bible&start=175#273537

Isaac wrote:
The Bible is a work of fiction that is claimed to be the word of God.


You are an incredibly pretentious, lying asshole who likes to put words into other peoples' mouths (like when you claim that Frank was being serious when he wrote Thing-Fish).

[size=0]Isaac[/size]


don't stray from the point isaac, show me one piece of tangible, contemporary evidence of jesus' existence. I can assure you that you can't, because there is NONE, not a sentence, not even a word about him by any historians alive at that time. This is depsite the fact he performed miracles, took on the roman empire, was crucified, then flew up to heaven on a cloud

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], calvin2hikers and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group