Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:08 pm 

This story is being widely distributed.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bo ... ian-belew/

Opinions out there? I could see that Frank would be pretty pissed off...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:36 pm 

tweezers wrote:
This story is being widely distributed.

Opinions out there? I could see that Frank would be pretty pissed off...

I can see both sides. Frank should be pissed that a guy that he plucked out of obscurity would be pilfered before his tour even ends. However, Belew had a right to leave at the conclusion of the tour assuming no contracts were signed. That's rock and roll and that's life.

I suspect also that because it was a big star like Bowie that Frank would be more pissed. If Adrian was leaving to start his own band or work with a lesser artist I don't think it would have been as big of an affront to Frank's ego.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:55 pm 

There's more to the story. On January 13th, Adrian posted this on his Facebook page:

Quote:
By definition a postscript is never as engaging as the story itself. I hope you're not expecting too much, but here's the conclusion:
It was February in Europe which meant it was icy cold outside, but for me it was even more icy inside. When you're touring, especially in a professional band of hired musicians, you tend to "partner up" with someone; one person you hang out with the most.
Frank was the person I hung out with. I often sat next to him as we traveled on planes and buses, I joined him at breakfast, etc. I had stayed at Frank's house many weekends during our 3-month rehearsal schedule and I felt we had some sort of friendship beyond employer/employee.
Of course he was entitled now to be distant to me. He had plucked me out of obscurity, taught me so many things, and shined a bright light on me. Frank was my mentor and he was not an asshole to me, not ever! He was generous, funny as heck, brilliant, and informative. A genius. I had the time of my life around him. It was never part of my plan to leave Frank's tutelage forever.
We still had two weeks of touring left. Frank had already informed me of his intentions after the tour ended. He said he was going to rent a giant film editing machine and spend three or four months editing our live concert footage into a film called "Baby Snakes". He explained I would be kept on a retainer which meant I would be paid to do nothing but wait for Frank's next project. I received a call from my manager. Now it was official: I was being offered a 4-month tour with David Bowie. (In reality it turned into more than a year).
Later that day we were on a bus to an airport. I decided to break the ice. I walked to the very last row in the bus where Frank was sitting. I told him about David's offer. I reminded him of his plan to edit his film and pay me a retainer and asked him if it didn't make more sense for me to join David's tour for 4 months instead. I told him I would gladly return after the tour. Frank reached out and we shook hands.
That evening, February 26th, we played a concert in Brussels, Belgium. One of Frank's songs we did was "Yo Mama". But for that show Frank substituted the words "Your David". So this is what he sang:
"Maybe you should stay with your David,
He can do your laundry and cook for you,
Maybe you should stay with your David,
You're really kind of stupid and ugly too".
Two nights later the tour ended in London at the Hammersmith Odeon. There was an onstage occurrence which angered Frank. Fortunately I had nothing to do with it. Frank cut the show short and stormed off. The next day most of the band members flew back to L.A. where they all lived. I was told later that Frank fired the band on that flight home.
I got on a plane to Dallas for two weeks rehearsal with David Bowie.

Here's a link to the post:

https://www.facebook.com/AdrianBelew/posts/10150589290144995

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:57 am 

I'd love to know what the onstage incident was....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:03 am 

From A.B.'s Facebook page
Quote:
a photo of me and frank backstage somewhere in the world. sent to me by andre cholmondeley, a known zappa enthusiast.
so many times now I have dreams about these moments. they left such a deep impression.
8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:43 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
From A.B.'s Facebook page
Quote:
a photo of me and frank backstage somewhere in the world. sent to me by andre cholmondeley, a known zappa enthusiast.
so many times now I have dreams about these moments. they left such a deep impression.
8) 8)

When was that posted? It was Adrian who was asked by DZ to keep Andre away from the stage area during a ZPZ show some years ago where Adrian's trio also played (Andre was Adrian's guitar tech).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:23 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I'd love to know what the onstage incident was....

+1

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:58 am 

Adrian Belew‘s stint as guitarist in David Bowie‘s band began after a decidedly uncomfortable dinner with Frank Zappa.
Zappa’s 1978 tour of Europe, Belew’s first, had reached Cologne, Germany, when Brian Eno – a longtime collaborator who knew Bowie was looking for a new guitarist – caught a show. He urged Bowie to see a subsequent stop, Belew says, setting off an incredible chain of events.
“The next night we performed in Berlin,” he says, “there was a part of the show where Frank took an extended guitar solo and most of the band members, including myself, left the stage for a few minutes. As I walked to the back of the stage, I looked over at the monitor mixing board and saw David Bowie and Iggy Pop standing there.”
After collecting himself, Belew says he told Bowie how much he loved his work, to which Bowie said, “Great, how would you like to be in my band?” Belew noted that he already had a job, with the guy currently soloing on stage.
“David laughed and said, ‘Yes, I know, but when Frank’s tour ends my tour starts two weeks later. Shall we talk about it over dinner?'” Belew remembers.
They took great pains to disguise the negotiations, meeting in a waiting limo outside Belew’s hotel. (“It was like something out of a spy film,” he says.) Bowie then announced he was taking the guitarist to one of his favorite restaurants in Berlin. Problem: Zappa and the rest of the band were somehow at the same place. “How many restaurants are there in Berlin?” Belew asks, rhetorically. “25,000?”
Though he clearly had been caught trying to poach Belew, the ever-debonair Bowie attempted to make the best of things – but Zappa was having none of it.
“David, trying to be cordial, motioned to me and said, ‘Quite a guitar player you have here Frank,'” Belew remembers. “And Frank said, ‘F– you, Captain Tom.'” (Belew notes that the angered Zappa had “demoted David from Major Tom to Captain Tom.”) Bowie tried again to make small talk, but was met once more with the same reply from Zappa: “F– you, Captain Tom.”
“By this point,” Belew adds, “I was paralyzed. David said, ‘So, you really have nothing to say?’ Frank said, ‘F– you, Captain Tom.'” After that, Bowie, Belew and Bowie’s assistant simply got up and left. “Getting in the limo,” Belew remembers, “David said in his wonderfully British way, ‘I thought that went rather nicely!'”

take from

And there was Deutschlandhalle "Ground Control Too Captain Tom"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:56 am 

As a casual observer, this being the first I've read of this, I think Frank had plenty of reason to be pissy about it.

From what I understand, Frank invested a lot in Adrian Belew. Bowie was kind of a glam rocker but he was hard to disrespect, but he was stealing a good player from Frank, and Frank needed good, consistent, disciplined players.

What was Frank supposed to say? He did it just right, if you ask me. He let Bowie know that he was diminished in Franks's book while also telling Bowie to go get fucked. Bowie could not have asked for anything smoother.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:26 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
As a casual observer, this being the first I've read of this, I think Frank had plenty of reason to be pissy about it.

From what I understand, Frank invested a lot in Adrian Belew. Bowie was kind of a glam rocker but he was hard to disrespect, but he was stealing a good player from Frank, and Frank needed good, consistent, disciplined players.

What was Frank supposed to say? He did it just right, if you ask me. He let Bowie know that he was diminished in Franks's book while also telling Bowie to go get fucked. Bowie could not have asked for anything smoother.

But, if Adrian had stayed with Frank and Frank eventually wanted another guitar player, Adrian would be out without a second thought from Frank.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:05 pm 

I agree with that. I don't think Adrian can be faulted for going with Bowie. I can just see why Frank would be a bit pissed, and I really can't see any reason why he would be cordial about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:35 pm 

Interesting enough, the next stunt guitar player to join the band was Warren Cucurullo who I believed lasted only one tour also before he quit to start Missing Persons. The comment from that event was Frank saying that "he wished him well and told him it was going to be hard". The professional rivalry that FZ may have felt with Bowie wouldn't have been there in Warren's case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:20 pm 

c'mon!

FZ rubs shoulders with the philistines to find the talent.
DB goes backstage VIP to find the talent.

AB was a bad fit with Bowie anyway. A terrible sound. So there's justice for ya.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:39 am 

KUIII wrote:
Interesting enough, the next stunt guitar player to join the band was Warren Cucurullo who I believed lasted only one tour also before he quit to start Missing Persons. The comment from that event was Frank saying that "he wished him well and told him it was going to be hard". The professional rivalry that FZ may have felt with Bowie wouldn't have been there in Warren's case.

Yeah, that's different, leaving FZ to start your own band (which a few had done) vs. leaving FZ to go tour with another artist.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:00 am 

Perhaps it was indeed personal. As Adrian describes it, he and Frank were sort of pals. Perhaps more than other players in the band at that time. Frank felt hurt and lashed out.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:35 pm 

I wanted to hear everyone out, and Frank was right to be upset and Adrian was right to take the Bowie tour.

Frank may well have let Adrian walk sonn after or for the next project or whatever; that's how FZ operated by then.

The 'Captain Tom' bit was great, Frank made sure Bowie knew Frank lost some respect for David.

In retrospect, Bowie was quite the innovator and left the building too soon, like Frank. Frank cultivated and mentored some great musicians and it was not a surprise to learn that other artists knew about Frank's eye for talent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:59 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Warren was in the Fall '78 band (featured on side 4 of Tinseltown Rebellion), and stuck around for Joe's Garage.

And here's an interesting little factoid I heard from none other than Trendmonger: the very first project recorded at UMRK was a series of demos for Missing Persons. I suppose this was during the Spring of 1980, while Frank was on the first part of the Crush All Boxes tour...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:49 pm 

tweezers wrote:
I wanted to hear everyone out

Sorry...

tweezers wrote:
The 'Captain Tom' bit was great, Frank made sure Bowie knew Frank lost some respect for David.

I can appreciate that you love Bowie AND Zappa. Will you admit this is your own personal sugar coated version of reality? No doubt it was driven by your love for Bowie. I hesitate to continue because the man just died...
With all respect to the human being we knew as D Bowie, here's my more realistic version of reality:

Bowie had no respect for Zappa and that is what allowed him to swoop down on an FZ musician in the middle of a fucking tour. (Keep in mind FZ plucked Belew out of cover band obscurity! He did his own field work) Seeing what Bowie was up to, FZ had no respect for Bowie. 3 "fuck you's" is showing a definite lack of respect, no? And I don't blame him. Captain Tom is the hilarious, shit flavored icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:11 pm 

Not sure if this point has been discussed before, but here's my 2 cents:

During the story, Adrian asked something to the effect of, "How many restaurants are there in Berlin, 25,000?"

And yet Bowie just happened to choose the very restaurant Frank was at. Seriously, what are the odds?

I'm wondering if, in a ballsy move, Bowie went to that restaurant knowing full well Frank would be there (not telling Adrian) and then audaciously sat down at Frank's table to initiate the proceedings.

Frank realized what was going on and reacted accordingly.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:41 pm 

I thought that seemed a bit fishy as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:01 pm 

More from Adrian today....
https://www.facebook.com/AdrianBelew/po ... 1364299995

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 am 

Beautiful story...