Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 am 

As we all know, our beloved FZ died 21 years ago from prostate cancer. Two years later, in 1995, my dad was diagnosed with it as well. At the time (I was 37) the type of cancer didn't mean much to me...it was cancer, which was all I really cared to know. My dad's cancer was caught early and he underwent a radical prostatectomy (surgical removal of his prostate). Today he's 83 and still going strong. Twenty years ago the prostatectomy was, by today's standards, almost barbaric. He lost urinary function to the point where he needed more surgery, and never regained sexual function.

Back then he'd tell me that I needed to be checked once I was in my 40's. He'd point at me and say, "Your buddy died of prostate cancer", meaning Frank. So when I hit 45 I started going for regular exams. I went for about 3 years and everything was fine. I was actually able to decrease my PSA score through diet and exercise.

And then I did something really really stupid: I stopped going for yearly exams. My pea brain figured I was in great health, my PSA was normal, and besides, my dad didn't get it until he was in his mid 60's. I had time. Why worry? I read about how Frank had complained of urinary problems for years. I never had any urinary problems. So I went for about 8 years without an exam. I had time.

Fast forward to July, 2014. I'm in a meeting at work, and I excuse myself to take a leak. I see visible blood in my urine. Out of the blue, no other symptoms. To cut to the chase: My PSA score was 13 (not good). I went for a biopsy on September 10, and two weeks later got the news I had prostate cancer.

This past Monday, December 1, I had a radical prostatectomy just like my dad. Only this surgery was robotic, which is less invasive. Both doctors I consulted with recommended this procedure because of my age, and because the cancer was too wide-spread in my prostate for radiation. It was still major surgery and I've been hurting pretty bad. Each day gets a little better.

The good news is the doc thinks he got it all, with minimal nerve damage. I have a catheter for 8 days, which comes out tomorrow (praise God). I should regain urinary control within 2-3 months and sexual function within a year. Hopefully.

My message to you all: go and get yourselves checked, especially if you're in your 40's, or have a family history. If I hadn't waited so long, I might have been able to have a different form of treatment other than the surgery. Don't stupidly put it off like I did. I escaped with a close call, but for a time really thought I was doomed.

I've also promised myself to not let this kind of thing happen again, ever. I've never had a colonoscopy, and that will be first on my list for 2015.

Take care,

Jar.

>You don't.

Last edited by sleeping in a jar on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:15 am 

Thank you jar for that - speedy recovery / positive vibes your way.
I have my "well man" check for january 6th - hopefully nothing will be amiss.
Respect
TT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:07 am 

Damn Sleepy, I hope they did get it all, and you recover thoroughly. I'm sorry this is happening to you. Thank you for sharing and warning us.

I am lucky in that my doctor checks my prostate a couple of times each year, and she won't let me get away with not checking it regularly.

Don't sweat the the colonoscopy; I've had two and lived to tell the tale. The hardest part is the preparation at home before the actual procedure. As for that, they'll knock you out so you won't even know what hit you. Just be careful what you say when the meds wear off. :wink:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am 

Wow, Sleepy, that's rough. I'm glad the doctor sounds confident. I had my first c-scope last month. I still have to abbreviate it. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:37 pm 

I had my first one this year also. I woke up before the procedure was done and it was fucking painful. Luckily it was very close to being done and I didn't have to be in pain that long.

I'm glad to hear that they got it all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm 

Hope you recover very quickly and always healthy, jar... Thanks for the warning, my dad died last year because of this... All the best for you and yours...

Question: I know there is a strong genetic risk associated, but would you mind sharing some of your habits? Smoke? Drink? Exercise? Diet? Sun? They say the sun is crucial for preventing it, because if we don't get enough direct sunlight we don't synthesize enough vitamin D....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:41 pm 

Hope you'll recover well and fully, Jar...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:31 pm 

Thanks for sharing your story.

You're definitely in my positive thoughts. Hope everything works out. I know you'll be glad to get that catheter out. Congrats on that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:41 pm 

Nice post sleeping in a jar, glad it's behind you.

Yeah, regular prostrate exams are nothin, quick, painless, done. I won't repeat all the good thoughts posted so far, but I'll add two quick thoughts: My Doc mentioned he's done thousands and never seen it first in a digital, but there's always that one case, which you don't want to be you.

And the other thought is for colon screenings, if you have no family history of the C word, AND you've never had a pollup, then there is always a virtual if that's what it takes to get you there. CAT scans got radiation, (X-ray), and colonoscopy's don't, but a CAT scan is about as easy as laying down...if it'll get u there(:

I always question why FOBT's aren't routine by ALL doctors, I get 'em every year and Rose has never got one.

Anyway you get there, get there(:

These two screenings save lives...could be yours :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:52 pm 

Sleepy, I'm very glad to hear that. My grandfather isn't taking it too seriously, I mean, it was a non-cancer tumor, but he doesn't do what doctors say and shit like that. Hope he lives some more years...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:34 am 

So glad your doc has great news for you, Sleepy. It scared me quite a bit to know we almost a forum member to the dreaded Prostate Cancer, but am happy to know the procedure you had has improved with the help o' science. Sending good thoughts your way....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 am 

Good luck Sleeper!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:53 am 

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

The cath has been removed...AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH much better! 8)

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:59 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Hope you recover very quickly and always healthy, jar... Thanks for the warning, my dad died last year because of this... All the best for you and yours...

Question: I know there is a strong genetic risk associated, but would you mind sharing some of your habits? Smoke? Drink? Exercise? Diet? Sun? They say the sun is crucial for preventing it, because if we don't get enough direct sunlight we don't synthesize enough vitamin D....

I don't smoke, drink moderately (mostly wine), used to exercise but not so much lately, didn't watch my diet so much in recent years, and always stay out of the sun.

After being diagnosed in September I changed my diet and exercised regularly, making the most of the time I had leading up to the surgery.
I plan on maintaining a healthy diet and exercise until the end of my days. Still gonna avoid the sun.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:00 pm 

Best of luck to you, Sleepy! :wink:

Ain't It Funky Now...

http://www.last.fm/user/LaMarr_Bruister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:47 pm 

Brave post, sir. And thank you for the insight on the Ferguson thread. Be Well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm 

Well JarJar, I'm glad you survived your little indiscretion. It's amazing how many people - guys, mostly - are willing to risk their lives by refusing to do something simple, easy and virtually painless. Having your regular checkups may or may not have prevented you having the procedure, but it certainly knocked a couple of options off the table.

Here's hoping you die of something completely unrelated to prostate cancer. How 'bout a plane crash, or a nice flesh-eating virus?

Have a nice day...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:27 pm 

Hey there under the bed, I've had major surgery followed by a catheter twice, the first one literally saved my life, and I've got another one in my near future, so I feel your pain. You end up with more hospital stories and on a first name basis with more medical personnel than you ever imagined possible. And finally it shines a very bright light on the rest of your life. I made a lot of decisions most of which I have either already carried out or am in the process of doing so. Hang in there mate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:39 pm 

Thank you for the testimony Jar.
To me, it seems way more useful than Movember.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:41 pm 

I just would like to clarify that is not a matter of blaming on this or that, this nasty C stuff is multifaceted and many random factors operate along with genes and environment (i.e. habits).

All the best for you, I am glad your dad is still around. Long live you both...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:39 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
It's amazing how many people - guys, mostly - are willing to risk their lives by refusing to do something simple, easy and virtually painless.

You are absolutely right. For me, it was probably something that could have been treated with radiation seeds had it been caught earlier.

The erectile dysfunction thing is another big factor in guys refusing to take action. My dad told me he knew several men who, when faced with the thought of permanent ed, declined to take any action. "And you know what?", he said. "They're all dead now".

Fortunately my nerves were spared. But I was told up front it was a very real possibility they wouldn't be.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 pm 

Long life to you brother. My mom had colon cancer this year and beat it. She will be an active 84 next week. I have had the colonoscopy twice and each time they zipped out two polyps.

I get PSA screenings, but do you guys mean an additional physical prostate exam? I am gonna be 61, guess I should ask my doc about that, will see her in early Jan. I get two physicals a year now...

I have an old buddy who had prostate cancer, beat it and was medically certified to get the daily version of a well-known ED drug - his flag still waves high

8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:46 am 

My doc says you need a physical exam annually if your over 50. I'm 62. I'm pretty used to it by now.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:46 am 

Glad you are well. Wishing you a full and fast recovery.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:00 pm 

I'm 57. I haven't had a complete physical exam in twelve years. not since I moved to the u.s.
I had to have one in sweden before I got my visa, and then I had to have another done here when I got here.
I think it's about time I had another one...

glad you're better, jar. 8)

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.