Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:29 pm 

Whoooooo could imaaagine???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:00 pm 

I'm watching on CNN right now. The main thing here is what is going to happen is not so much what North Korea is going to do but what about all those other nations right around there that are saying "hey we want to be part of the "Noo Clu year" World what about us?

They are saying how Japan is sitting on more than 10 tons of plutonium that could be converted in no time to weapons. that what about South Korea?

All these developed nations and developing nations are going to start saying "well India has them why not us?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:00 am 

The US Geological Survey recorded an M4.2 earthquake today in North Korea . Earthquakes in this area tend to be very deep (>300 km), but this one was at the surface. It very well could have been the result of a small nuclear explosion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:34 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
All these developed nations and developing nations are going to start saying "well India has them why not us?"

Or "well the U.S. has them, why not us?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I'm watching on CNN right now. The main thing here is what is going to happen is not so much what North Korea is going to do but what about all those other nations right around there that are saying "hey we want to be part of the "Noo Clu year" World what about us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:48 am 

Image..Dumb All Over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:38 pm 

Let's hope the blow themselves up with the friggin' thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:16 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm 

hey Fritz!
are you seein more attention given to zombie movies over where you're at
or are people seeming to like them more? People here are too. Zombies
and puppets. entertaining stuff. Have you seen Shawn of the Dead for
example or was that a couple years already?
hahahhahhahhahhahhahhahahhahhahahhhahhahahha!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:59 pm 
Banned

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:

You had to post a pic of the remake? You couldn't find a pic from the GOOD Dawn of the Dead movie?

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:00 pm 

Isaac wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:

You had to post a pic of the remake? You couldn't find a pic from the GOOD Dawn of the Dead movie?

Isaac

Gee, Ike: I didn't know you were such a zombie movie purist...

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:06 am 
Banned

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Gee, Ike: I didn't know you were such a zombie movie purist...

I'm not, but if you had wasted 90 minutes of your life like that, you would be in the same place I am.

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:33 am 

I've no doubt, that the human species will stamp out itself one day. The bomb from North Korea is just another brick in the wall.

Btw I'm not very familiar with Zombies although I see a lot of them every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:21 am 

Dubya provoke it along with Iran's threats of nuclear ambitions. If he kept his ignorant mouth shut instead of being a Raygun clone with speeches of the 'Axis of Evil' when neither country was spouting any threats this might of been avoided. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:55 am 

they should test it in dubya's empty craneus
anyway it's so hard that nobody will even notice it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:25 am 

You would think such a clear case of hypocracy would be universally apparant to every American citizen, yet many are only dimly aware that it may be hypocritical to say that "we may have 10, 000 hydrogen bombs but you may have none." This attitude supplys insurance that if ecological disaster doesn't kill us first, nuclear contamination will. Some Americans do see this hypocracy, but at varing levels, (and some see it but don't think it's relavant at all). Many just say, "yeah but," and I don't know what the "but" is, but it seems to justify the total hypocracy.

I'm only speaking to the United States now because that's where I live, but the same hypocracy exists in Britan, France Russia, etc..

I would have to guess that if reality were portrayed on the News, that not only would the Iraq war be over, but we'd be demanding that our politicians comply with the NPT and disarm, as well as share peaceful technology with any treaty signer who wants it, (not that I'm a fan of nuclear power, the price of the residue is too high). As it stands right now, we demand next to nothing of our politicians, we let them outsource our jobs, bomb innocent civilians en masse, fail to provide us universal health insurance (and we fail to notice all the other industrialized nations have it), and so on. Demanding that we ourselves disarm is not even on the list, (and lesser evil politics doesn't even have a list).

As long as someone has a big stick, everyone must have one, we're fools to make big deals about these "rogue states" building nuclear weapons as long as we're not willing to disarm ourselves.

But then again, most know only what's on the news. Such are the limits of their horizions, most of the world exists beyond.

http://disarmament.un.org/wmd/npt/npttext.html

Post subject: North Korea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:11 pm 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:30 pm 

Are those of your own creation, jimmie d, or is it a copy and paste job?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:38 pm 

king wrote:
Are those of your own creation, jimmie d, or is it a copy and paste job?

He finds them all. I don't believe he's created any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:30 pm 

Ah right.

Great stuff, either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:32 am 

baddy wrote:
You would think such a clear case of hypocracy would be universally apparant to every American citizen, yet many are only dimly aware that it may be hypocritical to say that "we may have 10, 000 hydrogen bombs but you may have none." .....

Maybe things would be better in the USA if more of the American Citizenry were at least dimly aware of where North Korea is, or Paris or London etc...then they could graduate up to more difficult things like strategic policy or social responsibility .....they say ignorance is bliss.....in the USA there is proof of that every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
baddy wrote:
You would think such a clear case of hypocracy would be universally apparant to every American citizen, yet many are only dimly aware that it may be hypocritical to say that "we may have 10, 000 hydrogen bombs but you may have none." .....

if more of the American Citizenry were at least dimly aware of where North Korea is

I know where N Korea is...it's right between Nickelodeon and the Weather channel :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:47 am 

Darfur doesn't have a channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:48 am 

Neither does Palestine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:08 am 

As i was saying....

Study: Geography Greek to young Americans
GEOGRAPHY SURVEY

• Thirty-three percent of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map.
• Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
• Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
• Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
• Forty-seven percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
• Seventy-five percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
• Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
• Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world.
• Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Source: The Associated Press
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed.
The study found that less than six months after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, 33 percent could not point out Louisiana on a U.S. map.
The National Geographic-Roper Public Affairs 2006 Geographic Literacy Study paints a dismal picture of the geographic knowledge of the most recent graduates of the U.S. education system.
"Taken together, these results suggest that young people in the United States ... are unprepared for an increasingly global future," said the study's final report.
"Far too many lack even the most basic skills for navigating the international economy or understanding the relationships among people and places that provide critical context for world events."
The study, which surveyed 510 young Americans from December 17 to January 20, showed that 88 percent of those questioned could not find Afghanistan on a map of Asia despite widespread coverage of the U.S.-led overthrow of the Taliban in 2001 and the political rebirth of the country.
In the Middle East, 63 percent could not find Iraq or Saudi Arabia on a map, and 75 percent could not point out Iran or Israel. Forty-four percent couldn't find any one of those four countries.
Inside the United States, "half or fewer of young men and women 18-24 can identify the states of New York or Ohio on a map [50 percent and 43 percent, respectively]," the study said.
On the positive side, the study noted, seven in 10 young Americans correctly located China on a map, even though they had a number of misconceptions about that country. Forty-five percent said China's population is only twice that of the United States. It's actually four times larger than the U.S. population.
When the poll was conducted in 2002, "Americans scored second to last on overall geographic knowledge, trailing Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan and Sweden," the report said.
The release of the 2006 study coincides with the launch of the National Geographic-led campaign called "My Wonderful World." A statement on the program said it was designed to "inspire parents and educators to give their kids the power of global knowledge."