Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:46 am 

The four-disc collection 'Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 to 1972' is due out in the fall

A new Captain Beefheart box set will focus on three records the avant-garde blues singer put out after warping minds with his landmark 1969 LP Trout Mask Replica. The upcoming four-disc set, Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 to 1972, collects three remastered albums – 1970's Lick My Decals Off, Baby, and his two 1972 releases, The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot – as well as a disc of 14 previously unreleased outtakes recorded during sessions for the latter two albums. The limited-edition collection will be available on CD, LP and digital on November 11th.

Beefheart recorded Lick My Decals Off, Baby in Hollywood over the summer of 1970, and the record found him digging deeper into the jagged atonal rock as he juxtaposed clashing, busy rhythms with bluesy, expressionistic guitar and his signature wild-beast yowls. In addition to singing, Beefheart played bass clarinet, tenor and soprano sax and harmonica on the release, while two members played broom and percussionist Art Tripp (billed as Ed Marimba) played marimba. The album was reportedly one of the singer's favorites.

Beefheart began work on The Spotlight Kid the following summer and found him taking a more markedly commercial, bluesy approach to the music (with marimba and jingle bells, of course). Members of Beefheart's Magic Band have derided the release over the years for its simplicity, though they stuck with him to record Clear Spot, which also featured a more accessible musical approach, in the summer of the following year.

That record has proven to have more staying power than its predecessor, thanks to "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles" placement in The Big Lebowski and a cover of that song by the Black Keys. Nevertheless, guitarist Zoot Horn Rollo quit after the release, and the rest of the group followed suit after its 1974 follow-up, Unconditionally Guaranteed. (Absent from the set is Beefheart's 1971 release Mirror Man, likely because it was recorded in 1967.)

The fourth disc in Sun Zoom Spark highlights 14 outtakes and alternate versions of songs from the 1972 releases. It includes a sung version of "I Can't Do This Unless I Can Do This/Seam Crooked Sam," which was later featured as the spoken-word poem "Seam Crooked Sam" on Bat Chain Puller, a more raucous take of "Dirty Blue Gene" (later released on Doc at the Radar Station) and a drastically different, instrumental rehearsal of "The Witch Doctor Life" that ultimately appeared on Beefheart's swan song, Ice Cream for Crow.

Here are the outtakes featured on the fourth disc of Sun Zoom Spark:

1. "Alice in Blunderland" - Alternate Version
2. "Harry Irene"
3. "I Can't Do This Unless I Can Do This/Seam Crooked Sam"
4. "Pompadour Swamp/Suction Prints"
5. "The Witch Doctor Life" - Instrumental Take
6. "Two Rips in a Haystack/Kiss Me My Love"
7. "Best Batch Yet" - (Track) Version 1
8. "Your Love Brought Me To Life" - Instrumental
9. "Dirty Blue Gene" - Alternate Version 1
10. "Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man" - Early Mix
11. "Kiss Where I Kain't"
12. "Circumstances" - Alternate Version 2
13. "Little Scratch"
14. "Dirty Blue Gene" - Alternate Version 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:03 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 am 

I'll take that as a like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:31 am 

The project is overseen by one Jan Van Vliet (!). Note the rare art on the cover, and more to come inside chosen by Jan from the archives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:10 am 

Three of my favourites...I guess I'm in

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:08 am 

Just preordered mine, at a price of $50.98. That's almost $10 dollars cheaper than when I added it to my wish list. Maybe, the price will dip some more between now, and release date?

Now, I have to go shopping for a used Grow Fins box.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:22 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Just preordered mine, at a price of $50.98. That's almost $10 dollars cheaper than when I added it to my wish list. Maybe, the price will dip some more between now, and release date?

Now, I have to go shopping for a used Grow Fins box.

Heh heh, nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm 

I
coevad wrote:
Beefheart began work on The Spotlight Kid the following summer and found him taking a more markedly commercial, bluesy approach to the music (with marimba and jingle bells, of course). Members of Beefheart's Magic Band have derided the release over the years for its simplicity, though they stuck with him to record Clear Spot, which also featured a more accessible musical approach, in the summer of the following year.

I love the simplicity of Spotlight Kid. What people seem to miss is that it wasn't necessarily simple to conceive. There's only ever gonna be one cap't beefheart. I'd hate to see somebody try to clone him.

Blabber N Smoke and My Head Is My Only House are as good as anything.
Good news about this new release. Thanks.