Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: The World Cup Thread...
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:57 am 

We are about a month from the begining of the 2006 World Cup of football (soccer for most of you who care for sportz) in Germany:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/default.stm

Today is the deadline for the Teams to confirm the players who are going to form the squads...

So any guesses who will take the Cup?

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Mon May 15, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:01 am 

For me, this time the event is great. Since Denmark didn't qualify this time, I can relax and avoid getting all worked up over their poor play. I can just watch a few hopefully good games with other teams I don't have particular emotions about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:17 am 

Czech Republic or the Netherlands have a good chnace. Of course, Brazil is somehow always in the mix and favored to win. But I am sticking with a European team and going to say the Netherlands. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:22 am 

Germany, or Brazil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:25 am 

The alltime high Brazilian favoritism will be its worst enemy... Of course I will cheer it, but I guess Germany might take the Cup this year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:27 am 

While it is true, the home team has a big advantage, I don't think Germany will go all the way. But it is a good side for sure. The great thing about the World Cup is all the surprises. It will be interesting to see how Ghana does, for instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:37 am 

Yeah, you bet. It is actually quite unforseeneble... Do you remember Cameroon on the 1990 Italy Cup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:42 am 

Well, I certainly remember the colorful uniforms! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:02 am 

No offense to the Germans, but don't they have one of the worst teams in a long time (except for Ballack)? I know they historically have managed to win a lot even when playing bad, and I know the joke about "soccer-being-a-sport-where-22-people-run-around-after-a-ball-for-90-minutes-and-the-Germans-win-in-the-end". But this year, the main advantage seems to be playing at Home (which actually can be a disadvantage because the team as a "born" contestant then hasn't played any important matches for a long time).

My soccer heart will root for Brazil and England. The former for obvious reasons; the latter for sentimental reasons. As a boy the main soccer entertainment on TV was on Saturdays where we (on the only available TV channel - and I am actually not that old; 44) could see games from England's 1st division from 16-18 (at that time their best league). A sacred moment during childhood. So therefore, England has a place in my heart even though I with the use of my brain don't like their team too much today.

As for the Netherlands, I don't really know. They were clearly better in the old days (And damn, I would have wished that they had scored, instead of hitting the post, in the last minute of regular time in the final against Argentine in 1978.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:21 am 

I have tickets for Germany's World Cup warm-up game on May 30th vs Japan. Unfortunately I'haven't got tickets for any of the World Cup games. It's easier to win 1.000.000 € in a lottery than getting a ticket for the World Cup. Nevertheless I'll watch most of the games on tv.

I suppose Brazil will take the Cup once again. Maybe England will have a chance if Rooney is ok, but I've heard he's injured. I don't know how good Argentina is in these days. Not to forget Italy and an still unknown team, that will give some of the favourites a big surprise.

Concerning Germany I have no doubt that they won't survive the round of the last 16 teams. They're too bad. Best thing they can do is running straight forward. Their greatest opposer is not Ecuador, Brazil or Holland. The ball is everybodies enemy. Nevertheless I'll enjoy the tournament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:28 am 

I am jealous of the fact that you are even IN the country where the World Cup is being held. The atmosphere there will be electric I imagine!

I don't think the German team is that bad but I agree they will not survive. But ITALY?? :? I laugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:39 am 

When it comes to Brazil x Argentina there is no favorite... It is always a drama...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:45 am 

Muffinmama wrote:
I am jealous of the fact that you are even IN the country where the World Cup is being held. The atmosphere there will be electric I imagine!

I don't think the German team is that bad but I agree they will not survive. But ITALY?? :? I laugh!

Only 24 days. The first team (Togo) arrived today in Germany. Yes, the atmosphere will be great. There will be big screens in towns for all the fans and supporters who haven't got tickets.

Everybody is getting mad here. You can't even buy toilet paper without a World Cup logo on it.

But what's so funny about Italy ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 am 

OK, I am just smack-talking about Italy because I am in the US and I do not want Italy to advance since I am pretty sure the Czech Republic is going to make it. :) And Italy has not really had a World-Cup -caliber team since 1994 or thereabouts. But, there are always surprises in the World Cup so that is why I will watch some or all of almost every single game. I was up at 2am to watch live games during the Korean World Cup and expect to be sleep deprived during this one as well.

Enjoy the moment. I could use some of that World Cup toilet paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:54 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
When it comes to Brazil x Argentina there is no favorite... It is always a drama...

Be sure that Brazil will get a lot of support by the Germans. Last year at the Confederation Cup they had almost 20.000 viewers in a public training session. Not only because some brazilian play in the Bundesliga: Lucio, Juan, Ze Roberto and Rogue Junior, who was injured for a long time. Don't forget Emerson who's not forgotten in Leverkusen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:00 pm 

err, England of course, what a silly question! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:07 pm 

timm0 wrote:
timmo it not a raffle :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:11 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Not only because some brazilian play in the Bundesliga: Lucio, Juan, Ze Roberto and Rogue Junior, who was injured for a long time. Don't forget Emerson who's not forgotten in Leverkusen.

The official Brazilian team list (23 players) came out just today and I think Roque Junior didn't make it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
everyone's favourite tory Boris Johnson tackling a german

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm 

timm0 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:24 pm 

Muffinmama wrote:
OK, I am just smack-talking about Italy because I am in the US and I do not want Italy to advance since I am pretty sure the Czech Republic is going to make it. :) And Italy has not really had a World-Cup -caliber team since 1994 or thereabouts. But, there are always surprises in the World Cup so that is why I will watch some or all of almost every single game. I was up at 2am to watch live games during the Korean World Cup and expect to be sleep deprived during this one as well.

Enjoy the moment. I could use some of that World Cup toilet paper.

I think that Czech Republic is a courageous tip. You can make a lot of money if you'll bet on the Czechs. Must be a good quota.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:30 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
everyone's favourite tory Boris Johnson tackling a german

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA

Haha. Very funny ! It seems Beckham has to lose some weight till World Cup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:40 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:

they think it's all over....

it is now.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:51 pm 

66-0
wales v brazil
first game pele playerd in cardiff about 56

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:16 pm 

HJ wrote:
As for the Netherlands, I don't really know. They were clearly better in the old days

The greatest team to never win a World Cup ('74, '78 )

Would someone be kind enough to explain the story behind this pic?

>You don't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next