Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 pm 

Hello all,

I'm a grad student working on an FZ dissertation for my music theory Ph.D. I'm trying to get in touch with anyone involved with the Zappa Family Trust to ask for information on several different fronts.

So far, I haven't had any luck. (Are you there Gail?!) I've tried email (Munchkin Music doesn't respond). I've tried snail mail sent to:

11917 Vose St.
North Hollywood, CA 91605

(and also 11848 Vose St.)

I've tried calling the hotmail number (818-786-7546). Heck, I've even tried emailing the kids via MySpace. All to no avail!

If anyone could help me out with some advice, I would appreciate it very much! Thanks.

--Andre Mount

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:10 pm 

I was about to suggest that you'd send Gail an e-mail, but it seems that's no longer possible.
She's probably had so much hate-mail concerning the way she has ''protected the integrity'' of Frank's musical legacy lately, that she no longer wants to receive any mail for a while...

Well, play with matches and you tend to get burned Gail !

But, if you REALLY want to get in contact with Gail, just start your own Frank Zappa Tribute Band or Local Frank Zappa Memorial Barbecue (as in Zappanale) and Gail (and some of her favorite lawyers) will contact YOU !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:51 pm 

Yes, that seems to be the sentiment lately...

I had an email conversation with Gail a couple years back when I was working on a project on "Pedro's Dowry." But now I can't seem to get a response from any email addresses.

In case anyone from the Trust is reading this, let me take this opportunity to stress that I'm not trying to profit financially from this project. I am pursuing an analytical approach to the music purely in hopes of advancing the state of scholarly work being done on FZ and as a tribute and testament to this extraordinary music and its cultural significance.

I'm mostly interested looking at the published Munchkin Music scores. (Even if FZ was opposed to the institution of public education, let's not forget how he honed his compositional skills by studying Varese scores!)

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:47 pm 

There is a phone number for Zappa Records if you go to Yahoo Yellow Pages. Or Intercontinental absurdities also has a phone number on there. Also, have you tried Diva on MySpace? I don't know if she will answer or not.
You could also try to find out their publicist or lawyers and contact them that way.
The address you sent your stuff to is Joe's Garage so they may not have even seen it. You should try the P.O. Box, which goes to Pumpkin. I know they go through that stuff because I have gotten responses from them.
Good luck, it is hard to get ahold of them.

Have a great day...Tricia

Post subject: Diva's Myspace page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 am 

preciousz wrote:
There is a phone number for Zappa Records if you go to Yahoo Yellow Pages. Or Intercontinental absurdities also has a phone number on there. Also, have you tried Diva on MySpace? I don't know if she will answer or not.
You could also try to find out their publicist or lawyers and contact them that way.
The address you sent your stuff to is Joe's Garage so they may not have even seen it. You should try the P.O. Box, which goes to Pumpkin. I know they go through that stuff because I have gotten responses from them.
Good luck, it is hard to get ahold of them.

This is what you get when you go to Diva's myspace page.

"Please do not be annoyed or angry with me if I don't accept you as a friend. I will only accept you if I know you..I appologize that we haven't met yet."

http://www.myspace.com/divadivadiva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:13 pm 

Maybe Gail's counsel, Mr. Sloane, can help you get a response from Gail:
http://www.bergerkahn.com/attorneys/60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 pm 

amount wrote:
Hello all,

I'm a grad student working on an FZ dissertation for my music theory Ph.D. I'm trying to get in touch with anyone involved with the Zappa Family Trust to ask for information on several different fronts.

--Andre Mount

What so called "information on several different fronts" are you looking for?

Maybe the information is already officially published?

Now there are lots of books and magazines that have touched so many different topics but they are not always presented properly.

I think you really have to ask yourself these questions.

Is the "information on several different fronts" that I seek so outside the norm of official documentation that already exists?

Have I given give due diligence in researching all Officially Published Documentation?

Am I "Seeking the path to the sudsy yellow nozzle
Of my very own foaming nocturnal
Parametric digital whole-wheat inter-faith
Geo-thermal terpsichorean ejectamenta)
" or am I trying to properly fit information on several different fronts be it old or new official information into my dissertation .

Penis Dimension

Good Luck,

What you are looking for might be in your pants or right under your nose.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:00 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
amount wrote:
Hello all,

--Andre Mount

Now there are lots of books and magazines that have touched so many different topics but they are not always presented properly.

Is the "information on several different fronts" that I seek so outside the norm of official documentation that already exists?

Have I given give due diligence in researching all Officially Published Documentation?

" or am I trying to properly fit information on several different fronts be it old or new official information into my dissertation .

Penis Dimension

Good Luck,

Hell, you are probably right! There's lots of info out there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:08 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
amount wrote:
Hello all,

--Andre Mount

Penis Dimension

Good Luck,

I wonder, if you tried really hard, do you think you could not be a dick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:43 pm 

Fuck! This guy wants to write his dissertation. Not someone else's. Trendmonger is a total asshole... again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm 

zackpassman wrote:
Fuck! This guy wants to write his dissertation. Not someone else's. Trendmonger is a total asshole... again

I think you are missing the point. Does each dissertation on any given subject contain "never before known to other man data".

Faster than the release of ROXY.
More informative than In-The-Ballpark.
Able to compile never before known to other man data.

Look! I got ye degree!
It's a Wand with a Cork. It's Dissertation Man!

I am making a point that the guy may be searching for something that is already available where he can quote and give proper notation. I think you are the asshole. How many times do we see people that want information where they get lost in fanatical want. It happens over and over and over.

Hey look at this hole. I fell in it 1,000 times. When is ROXY coming out. Oh it's that hole again why did I fall in it again.

Is the guy trying to invent a time machine or is he doing something on Frank Zappa the American Composer whose life work is somewhat thoroughly officially documented.

Remember he is the one with the problem. I am trying to help him where he may or may not be spinning in ignorance.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:18 pm 

Hello again. Thanks for the replies (and pms!). I appreciate the ideas.

Trendmonger wrote:

Most of the information I'm after has to do with scores. As I mentioned, my dissertation is going to be pretty analysis heavy so having a score would save me a lot of time and would be much more accurate than my own transcriptions. (I'm no Steve Vai!) And anyone who's tried to track down the Munchkin Edition scores knows what a pain that can be. (Interlibrary loan can only go so far with this stuff...)

I'm also interested in looking at any extant manuscripts and sketches that might be around to get a sense of FZ's creative process. Four of these appear in the back of The Frank Zappa Songbook, Vol. 1, and snippets appear elsewhere, but I'd like to fill in the gaps.

Trendmonger wrote:

Trendmonger, you have a good point here. The body of literature on FZ is incredibly vast and sporadic. I think any Zappologist worth his or her salt must necessarily always be in a state of ongoing research. There are a lot of helpful little nuggets out there (and a few solid monographs). But then, there are a lot of less than reputable sources (and at least one major book with some irrelevant axes to grind). Regardless, in this case I'm specifically after some unpublished (and potentially closely guarded) materials.

Trendmonger wrote:
Does each dissertation on any given subject contain "never before known to other man data".

In my opinion a good dissertation should provide a healthy balance of new contributions and contextualization with regard to "all officially published documentation." That's what I'm aiming for. (We'll see if I get there!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm 

amount wrote:

Most of the information I'm after has to do with scores. As I mentioned, my dissertation is going to be pretty analysis heavy so having a score would save me a lot of time and would be much more accurate than my own transcriptions. (I'm no Steve Vai!) And anyone who's tried to track down the Munchkin Edition scores knows what a pain that can be. (Interlibrary loan can only go so far with this stuff...)

I'm also interested in looking at any extant manuscripts and sketches that might be around to get a sense of FZ's creative process. Four of these appear in the back of The Frank Zappa Songbook, Vol. 1, and snippets appear elsewhere, but I'd like to fill in the gaps.

Trendmonger, you have a good point here. The body of literature on FZ is incredibly vast and sporadic. I think any Zappologist worth his or her salt must necessarily always be in a state of ongoing research. There are a lot of helpful little nuggets out there (and a few solid monographs). But then, there are a lot of less than reputable sources (and at least one major book with some irrelevant axes to grind). Regardless, in this case I'm specifically after some unpublished (and potentially closely guarded) materials.

In my opinion a good dissertation should provide a healthy balance of new contributions and contextualization with regard to "all officially published documentation." That's what I'm aiming for. (We'll see if I get there!)

Here is some common sense.

Frank Zappa payed allot of money to create his cores. How much? Hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I would not hold my breath on getting anything new. What is published and is out there is well known and to what extent you are allowed to use it is something that I think you need to be careful with.

The The Frank Zappa Songbook, Vol. 1 and Shut Up Books had plenty enough publication to get your hands on that and the musical scores licensed from Munchkin Music probably have limitations on how one can use them.

You may not be a Steve Vai but you can learn to be an Inspector Clouseau http://inspectorclouseau.com/ I

I hope you have studied the Audio Documentary FZ American Composer very closely.
http://www.zappa.com/stufftoget/audio/index.html

Good Luck

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:41 pm 

Post subject: re: bridging the gap
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:36 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 pm 

Well spotted, Mr. S

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 am 

Good job, Dr Amount!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:41 am 

Yay! Maybe SOMEDAY Gail might just pick up on that. Preferably before I get the ultra-rightwing fine.

Post subject: Re: re: bridging the gap
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

I read "Bridging the Crap"... Oh, well - why not?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:02 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Then the whole title should have been, "Bridging the Crap": Frank Zappa and the Effluence of Art and Pop
Also appropriate... :mrgreen:

It was truly decent of Trendy to help out with this effort. I wonder if Mr. Mount credited him sufficiently.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 am 

Sam I Am wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Then the whole title should have been, "Bridging the Crap": Frank Zappa and the Effluence of Art and Pop
Also appropriate... :mrgreen:

It was truly decent of Trendy to help out with this effort. I wonder if Mr. Mount credited him sufficiently.

or

"Bridging the Crap": Frank Zappa and the Flatulence of Arse and Poop